Sprinter as a Daily Driver

Bigpapaporsche1

I am looking for a RV on a Sprinter Chassis. I've had the Sprinter 3500 with the V6 Diesel and now I am looking for a Pleasureway Ascent RV which uses the Short Wheel Base, with the optional 4 Cylinder Gas engine.
Because I want this Van as a "Daily Driver," I think the V6 Diesel will be problematic, hence the Gas Engine!

Do any of you have any comments regarding the 4 Cyl Gas.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
almost 4 years in Alaskan conditions with mine as my daily driver and no problems… I drove a 1/2T extended cab truck for years and get better mileage in my Sprinter…
I can’t speak to I4 vs V6, I haven’t had any engine problems with my V6 and for what I do and how I use mine I am happy I have one…
what makes you think the V6 is “problematic”?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Take a clean sheet of paper, freshly sharpened pencil and calculator.
When mpg listed on the forum are like fishing records, you can find good data on fuely.
Calculate
-purchase value
-cost of fuel in the time period you think you will keep the van
-cost of service for the same period
-resale value.
Diesels in USA are not for just anybody, so calculate your DIY skill is all of that, or extended warranty.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
...and now I am looking for a Pleasureway Ascent RV which uses the Short Wheel Base, with the optional 4 Cylinder Gas engine.
First a question for the Pleasure-Way experts on the forum - did PW ever build an Ascent on a Gas chassis? You may be searching for a unicorn!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Why would one be led to think that the V6 Diesel would be "problematic" as a daily driver?
"daily driver" often comes with short commute in mind.
Doing few miles at the time will keep aborting regenerations and if not monitored - it can lead to troubles.

hilld

You should talk to an Amazon driver (ones that drives a Sprinter) to see how those vans are holding up. Probably the worst sort of abuse. Short distances, frequent stopping and starting, etc.

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
Do any of you have any comments regarding the 4 Cyl Gas.
I have a 2021 Cargo 170 with the gas engine. Just finished the build out - weighs 8800 lbs. Have only made a couple trips, and have been impressed as to the engine performance. I just don't know how it does what it does having such little engine displacement. Yes, yes, I know the 9 speed tranny is the real 'secret', but it still amazes me. I had a '17 Navion (at about 11,000 lbs), with the V6, and my built out van with the little gas has more get up & go at low speeds. Seems to do as well at higher speeds, but almost certainly not any better. So far, I believe I made the right decision on the gas engine.

ShaneHouston

I’ve had my 2021 Cargo Gasser for two months now & it’s my daily driver. 20 minutes to work every day. Halfway through my conversion. No issues. Plenty of power. Depending on how you drive determines your gas mileage honestly. If I drive the speed limit (60) then I get 20+. If I drive (75) with everyone else I get 16 or so. No complaints.

Bigpapaporsche1

I am thinking about taking the plunge and buy one of the two 2018 (actually built on a 2017 MB Chassis) Pleasureway Ascent I am looking at. Either one of these low miles Vans (3,000 miles and 13,000 miles) will do the job. However, as I mentioned in an earlier Post, I do have my reservations. in a previous Post Kajtek1 said it best,
"daily driver" often comes with short commute in mind.
Doing few miles at the time will keep aborting regenerations and if not monitored - it can lead to troubles."

I am considering buying one of the Van now and drive it and see how things works out. If problems do develop in the next 1-2 years, I'll sell it and buy a newer Model. It is my understanding that MB plans on killing the V6 Diesel in 2023 (Emission Issues) and make to 4 cylinder Gas engine std and the 4 cylinder Diesel optional.

asimba2

ourkaravan.com
I have contacted Pleasureway and the have confirmed they did use the 4 Cylinder Gas engine in 2016, I didn't think I was chasing a Ghost.
Only the 4 cylinder diesel existed back in 2016 and it's available again today. I would check with PW and see if they meant the 4 cylinder diesel--it's a great powertrain and gets significantly better mileage and driving range than either the 4 gas or 6 diesel.

If I have to drive any distance at all I take the van because it gets better mileage than my other vehicles. I'm at 24.1 MPG average over 40,000 miles.

Bigpapaporsche1

Only the 4 cylinder diesel existed back in 2016 and it's available again today. I would check with PW and see if they meant the 4 cylinder diesel--it's a great powertrain and gets significantly better mileage and driving range than either the 4 gas or 6 diesel.

If I have to drive any distance at all I take the van because it gets better mileage than my other vehicles. I'm at 24.1 MPG average over 40,000 miles.
I was not specify in my question to PW, I was thinking the Gas engine, but they may have thought Diesel. I do know, that in 2017/2018 MB did offer the Gas engine in their Sprinter Chassis, including the 144/170 inch WB. Advance RV, in Cleveland Oh used some of them in their 170 RV Vans with good results.
I didn't know it until recently, but the MB's Website has a "Cost of Ownership Tab" thats let you compare the various Drivetrains against each other, i.e. 4 cyl vs V6, 4X2 vs 4X4, etc. This is a great tool!
If my "Game Plan" doesn't work, I'll buy a new PW Ascent, with either the 4 Cyl gas or the 4 Cyl Diesel. We currently own a MB GL450, which has their AWD System. My guess is that MB will offer the AWD System in their Sprinter by then also.

turbolsvt

You should talk to an Amazon driver (ones that drives a Sprinter) to see how those vans are holding up. Probably the worst sort of abuse. Short distances, frequent stopping and starting, etc.
After having issues with my 2020 on a cross country trip a few weeks ago and visiting 4 dealerships over 4 states and finally my local dealership (#5) the one thing they all had in common was Amazon vans.......a bunch of Amazon vans. I pulled into one dealership in Phoenix and my draw dropped when I counted 35 Sprinters sitting outside of the service departmen.

klempak

After having issues with my 2020 on a cross country trip a few weeks ago and visiting 4 dealerships over 4 states and finally my local dealership (#5) the one thing they all had in common was Amazon vans.......a bunch of Amazon vans. I pulled into one dealership in Phoenix and my draw dropped when I counted 35 Sprinters sitting outside of the service departmen.
Well I would think they were all diesel as Amazon is using 6 cylinder diesel prior to 2022.

marklg

Just for info, what dealer was that?

Regards,

Mark

Top Bottom