Fuel mileage efficient operation

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
What is LOD? Scangauge talk for engine load?
Yes. It's an estimate of the engine load, based on 100, and I have no idea what factors it uses to determine it. RPMs, current speed, current gear, and anything else that makes the engine work harder or not.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
Shows up on the T1N nautabox’s too. A really cool aux monitor that was created by a few members here but only works on my 2005/2006. More info and logging then you could hope to use!!

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
I get it on Torque Pro. I can set it to flash at a certain value so I don't have to take my eyes off the road, I can see it in my peripheral

gj91

What is the tank size on your rig? At 26 gal I know I can get to at least 300 miles.

My LOD is consistently at 99 and occasionally the elusive “10” driving in the mountains out west
Yes the 100L = 26 Gal. On a recent road trip over Christmas I pushed it more and drove until the light came on knowing there is a 5 gal reserve. I just needed to get a little more distance. And I was fully loaded.

Also, there are now real 50 gal tanks now, not the hokey transfer dual gauge ones. I'm not sure about the extra weigh of 50 + gal, but i'd love another 10 gal

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
What is LOD? Scangauge talk for engine load?
yes. it shows % of load at given rpm.
It will show about 70% at idle, in P and AC on. So the idle power is about 5 hp.
In my driving, the ScanGauge shows either 99% or 0. Too many hills around.

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
yes. it shows % of load at given rpm.
It will show about 70% at idle, in P and AC on. So the idle power is about 5 hp.
In my driving, the ScanGauge shows either 99% or 0. Too many hills around.
hmm, that's strange, with Torque Pro I get about 33% at idle and it only goes to 100%
when I am climbing a grade or accelerating hard. I'll have to check it with the AC on

TPsprinter1.jpg

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Those are tricky numbers. If with no AC it shows 32.9% load, the only thing it actually powers is alternator, what after few minutes of driving should not draw any, or minimal current.
So is it ghost load?
Than Torque goes up to 100%, when SG only 99% of load.
What brings me to my constant question. What those software programmers smoke for breakfast?

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Yes load (LOD) is tricky. I used to watch LOD and GPH as two PIDs on my SGII. LOD appears to be closely related to the fueling rate at specific RPM. e.g. idle RPM x high GPH = higher LOD as when vehicle is in drive at stop light with A/C on.

Once I got used to looking at LOD for various conditions, I dropped monitoring GPH and just used LOD to guide downshift decisions.

I think I was told the LOD is percent of power that the engine could make at the current RPM, but don't have the data to back that up.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I think I was told the LOD is percent of power that the engine could make at the current RPM, but don't have the data to back that up.
It has to be and that is why I concluded that at idle the engine generate 5HP, what is good explanation why AC puts 70% of load on it.
There is no way AC could draw 70% of peak 200HP.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
LOD (calculated engine Load: PID 4) is calculated differently for diesels compared to gasoline engines.

Gasoline engines use the ratio of air going into the engine compared to the amount that could be ingested at that RPM.
Diesels use the amount of fuel that could be ingested at that RPM.

The value shown on a ScanGauge was handed to it by the ECU, the ScanGauge doesn't do any calculation to show LOD

Those of us with relatively lightly loaded T1Ns (2.7L 5 cyl) can usually see a mpg improvement if we downshift when the LOD exceeds 70 to 75%

--dick
p.s. "relatively lightly loaded" added after GaryJ's comment

Last edited:

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Those of us with T1Ns (2.7L 5 cyl) can usually see a mpg improvement if we downshift when the LOD exceeds 70 to 75%

--dick
That’s pretty much true for a lightly loaded van. With a T1N motorhome at GVWR (10,200lbs. or twice what my T1N 140 weighed empty) its a different story. 70%-99% is the common load at highway speeds, or with any grade or any headwind. Downshifting usually shows a scangauge drop in fuel mileage with a downshift. That said as I get into the 90% range I do downshift for what I believe is improved cooling and less torque converter strain.

Gary

J T Ruth

I am getting about 13.2 to 14 mpg on my 2011 via q flat towing a versa. I probably am at gross weight. Have the 5 speed tranny. I run at 60 mph on interstate and 55 off interstate.

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
I am getting about 13.2 to 14 mpg on my 2011 via q flat towing a versa. I probably am at gross weight. Have the 5 speed tranny. I run at 60 mph on interstate and 55 off interstate.
In a Via towing that much weight that mileage sounds about right.

Top Bottom