No engine undercover/splash shield?

cf_z

Just placed my order through woxparts. Original price including shipping is $164.26 but i fully expect them to reach out and collect additional shipping costs. Will update here when that happens.

FrankS

Any idea if there is a difffenet part number for 4x4?
judging from the posted images, I'd say the Mercedes part is for the RWDs only. the 4x4 sits a lot higher and the guard won't be able to wrap around the cross bar in front of the front axle.
so far, I have not found a part number for a 4x4 splash guard and I would even say it doesn't exist. I just watched a (German) video of a KABE Sprinter 4x4 conversion and everything on this this is meant to be 'high end' and for temps down to -50F (!). it does not have a splash guard. I'm pretty sure KABE would have added one if it was available.

Dr. Tequila

907-651-2500C, Mahalo Valhalla
What did you use for hardware for the install? Did the tray come with hardware?
No hardware comes with the tray. You'll need 11 clip nuts (I ran clip nuts at 1/4 size), 11 bolts to match the clip nuts' thread w/ washers, and four expanding rivets/bumper screws for the front attachment. I was able to source all of this at my local hardware store
the day of install. Make sure the clip nut has enough length to it as to reach the hole you're going after.

cf_z

Just placed my order through woxparts. Original price including shipping is $164.26 but i fully expect them to reach out and collect additional shipping costs. Will update here when that happens.
Posting an update for anyone who may be watching.

No contact whatsoever so far from Woxparts on this order. When i click the link in my original confirmation email to check status it brings me to a bad gateway/dead link. They collected payment from me on the 14th when I originally ordered.
I just responded to the original confirmation email requesting an order update.

cheapren

I placed an order from fixparts-online.com. They changed the shipping to 292EUR for 2 pieces (total is 500EUR for 2 piece).

If anyone in NY metro area wants the undercover, pls contact me. I have an extra one to sell later.

Dr. Tequila

Posting an update for anyone who may be watching.

No contact whatsoever so far from Woxparts on this order. When i click the link in my original confirmation email to check status it brings me to a bad gateway/dead link. They collected payment from me on the 14th when I originally ordered.
I just responded to the original confirmation email requesting an order update.

My experience with them was unconventional. It took them a bit of time to charge the additional shipping and send the part out to me. I recall I didn't hear from them for a week or so. Fianlly shipped dhl, part came damaged due to POOR packaging. I hope they're not ghosting you.

cf_z

My experience with them was unconventional. It took them a bit of time to charge the additional shipping and send the part out to me. I recall I didn't hear from them for a week or so. Fianlly shipped dhl, part came damaged due to POOR packaging. I hope they're not ghosting you.
I got a response almost immediately from them simply saying "The website is down, try again in 15 minutes"
15 minutes later same deal. Page loads but nothing will show. So i respond again, and they answer with "So regarding your order the part is being processed at Mercedes and we expect to get it next week, presumably Tuesday. Dispatch will be scheduled on same day."

So at least they seem to have eyes on it and some form of known logistics. I'm going to respond again and ask that it be carefully packaged. So far they're not mentioned upping the shipping charge, maybe i get lucky.

I placed an order from fixparts-online.com. They changed the shipping to 292EUR for 2 pieces (total is 500EUR for 2 piece).

If anyone in NY metro area wants the undercover, pls contact me. I have an extra one to sell later.
Have yours shown up? Any damage?

cheapren

I got a response almost immediately from them simply saying "The website is down, try again in 15 minutes"
15 minutes later same deal. Page loads but nothing will show. So i respond again, and they answer with "So regarding your order the part is being processed at Mercedes and we expect to get it next week, presumably Tuesday. Dispatch will be scheduled on same day."

So at least they seem to have eyes on it and some form of known logistics. I'm going to respond again and ask that it be carefully packaged. So far they're not mentioned upping the shipping charge, maybe i get lucky.

Have yours shown up? Any damage?
Not yet, i just placed order 2 days ago. Did they change the shipping rate to like 200eur a piece?

cf_z

Got an update from them. Adding $192 USD to the shipping, yikes!!
I responded that I was happy to pay it if they can properly package it to not be broken on arrival. We'll see what happens!

Dr. Tequila

From before the install, I have a computer read out with over 2000 mi stating mpg at 24.2. I'd say 70/30 freeway/city.

From after the install, with a readout of over 2000 mi with the same proportion and style of driving, the count sits at 26.1mpg.

?

enakffej

I just ordered some using the Cars245 link geniushanbiao posted earlier in this thread. When I added the "Noise Encapsulation" to my cart the form was already set to ship to US. Part cost $103.41 and shipping by FedEx "TNT Economy" (represented as 5-7 days) was $60.19. It gave me three other shipping options.

Will report back on any shipping cost increases, time and condition of arrival, and noise and fuel efficiency changes on my 2021 RWD I4. I can't promise a lack of confirmation bias, but I'll do my best to report data and assumptions along with results.

Last edited:

cf_z

Of course its going to help with mileage. Will it be scientifically measureable from the consumer standpoint? Hardly. Does it make perfectly logical and scientific sense that it will help? Yes.
I've worked for Tesla for 9 years and i've seen the amount of time/R&D we've spent on aerodynamics. There is a reason we install lower shields litterally from the front to rear of each vehicle, even the "cheaper" models.

I got mine finally. I ended up trimming about 3/4" off the front so it would actually sit flush/into the mounting area in the front lower bumper. Otherwise it would have needed to sandwich it and layer the incorrect way in my opinion.

I used a pretty straightforward mounting solution. Each mounting hole has a corresponding chassis/fender/bumper location to accept a slide on U nut and i sourced some wide washered m6 bolts to mount. Easy as can be.

Mounting hardware:
13x M6 Bolts w/ kept washers:

13x M6 U Nuts:

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Of course its going to help with mileage. Will it be scientifically measureable from the consumer standpoint? Hardly. Does it make perfectly logical and scientific sense that it will help? Yes.
I've worked for Tesla for 9 years and i've seen the amount of time/R&D we've spent on aerodynamics. There is a reason we install lower shields litterally from the front to rear of each vehicle, even the "cheaper" models.

I got mine finally. I ended up trimming about 3/4" off the front so it would actually sit flush/into the mounting area in the front lower bumper. Otherwise it would have needed to sandwich it and layer the incorrect way in my opinion.

I used a pretty straightforward mounting solution. Each mounting hole has a corresponding chassis/fender/bumper location to accept a slide on U nut and i sourced some wide washered m6 bolts to mount. Easy as can be.

Mounting hardware:
13x M6 Bolts w/ kept washers:

13x M6 U Nuts:
lower stance vehicles sure.
part of ground effects.
Is the science there regarding higher stance vehicles?

cf_z

lower stance vehicles sure.
part of ground effects.
Is the science there regarding higher stance vehicles?
Why would it not apply the same?
You're avoiding low pressure zones that increase resistance to the "flow" of an object in a direction. No matter the vehicle, bicycle to airplane, less resistance to travel equals more efficiency relative to energy input vs distance traveled.

Happy29

2020 2500 OM642 4x2 170HR
In my uneducated estimation the coefficient of drag will be nearly unchanged with the underbelly plastics. Will it help reduce drag, sure, but compared the the massive frontal area it's not going to be of much help particularly with a 'dirty' roof full of solar panels, Maxxair fans, etc. not to mention the very 'dirty' under belly beyond the front engine/tranny area that is causing massive disturbance to air flow.

My DIY solution was purely for the protection is provides from dirt, muck, risk to belts, alternator and that super soft large coolant hose that seems extra vulnerable to abrasion or puncture.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
In my uneducated estimation the coefficient of drag will be nearly unchanged with the underbelly plastics. Will it help reduce drag, sure, but compared the the massive frontal area it's not going to be of much help particularly with a 'dirty' roof full of solar panels, Maxxair fans, etc. not to mention the very 'dirty' under belly beyond the front engine/tranny area that is causing massive disturbance to air flow.

My DIY solution was purely for the protection is provides from dirt, muck, risk to belts, alternator and that super soft large coolant hose that seems extra vulnerable to abrasion or puncture.
Yes, best case scenario for fuel savings is a 20 year payback on the investment not counting the install labor. Agile and Van Compass offer the heavy duty version made of 1/4” thick aluminum. That was my choice. ?

Top Bottom