Will you survive?

flman

It's nice of you to set up a stockpile for whichever group of armed thugs finds you first. I bet it takes less than a week. Sure, you might take out one or two of them in a self-imagined Rambo-esque blaze of glory. But you're not gonna get them all.
I guess this group moves faster than bullets? Ever hear of Buck Shot?

D

Deleted member 50714

It's nice of you to set up a stockpile for whichever group of armed thugs finds you first. I bet it takes less than a week. Sure, you might take out one or two of them in a self-imagined Rambo-esque blaze of glory. But you're not gonna get them all.
I shall stand and fall resting in the solace you will suffer similar fate.

flman

For a really good novel based on this idea of surviving, read "The Dog Stars" by Peter Heller.

The hero is one of two hunkered down near an abandoned airport somewhere on the High Plains He taught himself to fly one of the derelict Cessnas and does patrols at night with NVGs, looking for possible attackers. There are no neighbours to speak of for a hundred miles in all directions. Just him, another survivor and Jasper, his dog.

excerpt:
I don’t want to be confused: we are nine years out. The flu killed almost everybody, then the blood disease killed more. The ones who are left are mostly Not Nice, why we live here on the plain, why I patrol every day.

I started sleeping on the ground because of the attacks. Survivors, it seemed like they picked it out on the map. On a big creek, check. So water, check. Must have fuel, check. Since it was an airport, check. Anyone who read anything knew, too, that it was a model for sustainable power, check. Every house with panels and the FBO run mostly on wind. Check. FBO means Fixed Base Operator. Could’ve just said the Folks Who Run the Airport. If they knew what was coming they wouldn’t have complicated everything so much.

Mostly the intruders came at night. They came singly or in groups, they came with weapons, with hunting rifles, with knives, they came to the porch light I left on like moths to a flame.

I have four sixty watt panels on the house I don’t sleep in, so one LED light all night is no problem.

I was not in the house. I was asleep under blankets on the open ground behind the berm a hundred yards away. It is an old airport, it is all open ground. Jasper’s low growl. He’s a blue heeler mix with a great nose. I wake up. I beep Bangley on the handset. For him I think it was like sport. Kind of cleaned out his carbon, the way for me going up to the mountains.

It was a high berm, just a big mound of dirt, we made it higher. Tall enough to walk behind. Bangley, he saunters up and snuggles down beside me at the top where I am already watching with the goggles, and I smell his rasping breath. He has them too, the goggles, in fact he has like four, he gave me one. He said at the rate we use them the diodes will last ten years maybe twenty. What happens then? I celebrated my fortieth birthday last year. Jasper got a liver (doe), I ate a can of peaches. I invited Melissa and she came the way she does, a whisper and a shiver.

In ten years the additive will no longer keep the fuel fresh enough. In ten years I’ll be done with all this. Maybe.
What are your thoughts on this?

flman

Guessed you missed the last part of what I said.

I hear gunfire is a great way to not attract any attention in a collapsed society.
I could care less, i am in a rural area, and my neighbors are armed to.

Sounds like in your case, been nice to know you.

TorqueMonster72

Red Forman is my hero dumbass
Oh boy, the internet tough guys are out in full swing.
really?

I live in Vancouver - I go hunting up in the middle of Butt-fuck-no-where North.
I have several standard rifles where if shit goes sideways I know there will be ammo.
Also served in the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves.
not a tough guy - just letting you know, there are those of us who will be able to manage ourselves.

If you are not prepared to get up close and personal - that is on you.
do not project your snowflake mindset on others.
there are wolves and there are sheep.... you will the steaming pile of shit after the wolves eat.....

TorqueMonster72

Just the sound of a shell getting loaded, is enough to make a perp think twice, and move on to someone easy like Firebat....
uuuuhhhh.... always chambered when in harms way....

Like my buddy in gagetown who is a sniper says - if you hear the crack - it was not for you.

flman

uuuuhhhh.... always chambered when in harms way....

Like my buddy in gagetown who is a sniper says - if you hear the crack - it was not for you.
Mine is always chambered, so they won't get the warning, because I will have to eject a live shell.

firebat45

If you are not prepared to get up close and personal - that is on you.
do not project your snowflake mindset on others.
there are wolves and there are sheep.... you will the steaming pile of shit after the wolves eat.....
I've made no claims of what I'm prepared for and what I'm prepared to do. Just because I don't openly fantasize about killing people to "defend" myself doesn't mean I have no plan. The last thing anybody with a SHTF plan should do is discuss said plan in public.

It's funny that you think bragging on the internet about how tough you are makes you a "wolf". Especially with how butthurt you get about it when someone calls you out. Real alpha behaviour there, bud.

PS - I'm from Van Island. So I know exactly how hard it is to survive in land where it rarely gets below freezing or above 30C, there's tons of freshwater, and easy hunting/fishing/foraging. And Vancouver is even milder than that.

flman

I've made no claims of what I'm prepared for and what I'm prepared to do. Just because I don't openly fantasize about killing people to "defend" myself doesn't mean I have no plan. The last thing anybody with a SHTF plan should do is discuss said plan in public.

It's funny that you think bragging on the internet about how tough you are makes you a "wolf". Especially with how butthurt you get about it when someone calls you out. Real alpha behaviour there, bud.

PS - I'm from Van Island. So I know exactly how hard it is to survive in land where it rarely gets below freezing or above 30C, there's tons of freshwater, and easy hunting/fishing/foraging. And Vancouver is even milder than that.
So what do you think of the Truckers Convoy to remove TruDuh?

TorqueMonster72

stating facts and bragging are two different things.
and not sure why you believe I am butt hurt. projecting much?

this explains your response. carry on and hug your tree.

Top Bottom