Kitchen not so good

We are looking at the 2022 Forester MBS 2401B and it is all very good but the kitchen isn't really functional. There is no way a small trash can will fit under the sink. Has anyone found a solution for that? Also, being short the two large cabinets above the sink are really high and deep. This is the main storage for dishes, cups and bowls. The very shallow cabinets above the dinette are very shallow and wouldn't hold much that I know of except books and cards and very skinny game boards. There is a pantry and that is fine for the food but there has got to be someone out there who has come up with some great ideas for making this type of kitchen have more function! Help?

Nic7320

Solera 24S on a 2011 NCV3 chassis
Looks like the Forester shares the same kitchen as a Solera. Yes, the kitchen is less than optimal to fit into such a tiny space. Here's a few solutions to the issues I encountered:

I went all electric by adding a Whynter refrigerator chest between the seats, and a big Iceco freezer chest behind the passenger seat. So now my trash bin sits on top of the Iceco chest strapped to the headrest (you really don't want that tipping over). That location also allows trash can use from the dinette (with good aim) and even the driver's seat.

Using electric refrigerators also frees up my propane fridge to be a second pantry, one that maintains a more even temperature during the day (just by being insulated) and is also rodent proof.

One gripe I had with the kitchen was the lack of drawers right under the counter. I found some Rubbermaid trays with rubber feet to hold frequently used items and put them behind the sink and a big one next to the stove. The drawers down at the floor level are still used for less frequently used items.

My oven is mostly used to store fry pans. I bungee corded an induction cooktop to the stove top grille and it works great. Best part is, I no longer have to run the vent fan when cooking most items (there's no CO combustion products) and I no longer need to buy propane.

I added a wire shelf under the sink. A second shelf is definitely needed. Also added a paper towel holder in front of the window, and coffee cup hooks behind the stove, and a hook on the right side of the oven next to the propane fridge for dish towels. The oven handle is only used for hand towels.

Be careful overloading the storage on the slide. Slide motors don't last long when overstressed. Sometimes mine was struggling to pull the slide in, so I added an emergency retract switch. All it needed was two #8 wires from the battery through a maxi fuse and spring-loaded rocker switch wired direct to the motor. If I'm on a slope and the slide is trying to go "uphill," it is definitely needed. It's also useful to carry a 1/2" socket and ratchet if the motor ever fails.

Last edited:

Top Bottom