Check-valve

Hotratz

I recently replaced my HW tank and discovered in the process that I have a check-valve installed at the HW outlet port and that it was broken. I cleared out the broken plastic bits and re-used it (now effectively just a free-flow fitting) on the new tank since I had nothing to replace it with at that time. Realizing the need for a check-valve, I'm considering either the exact match:

Or this one:

I like the second one better because its all brass w/ stainless spring, whereas the Valtera has the plastic bits. However, based on what I've read the Camco requires 3lb min pressure to open the valve, whereas the Valterra requires 1/2lb. I'm not sure how much pressure the water pump generates and if 3lb would be too hard on it.

Anyone have any experience with these and have any feedback?

Thanks

Riptide

Well, the Comet pump is rated for 1.1 bar at the discharge of the pump, so that's about 15 psi. Head loss from the pump down low to the shower head up high thru small tubing is anyone's guess, but I'd venture it's worth a few pounds off the rating.

So, maybe 10 psi at the shower head?

I get what you're saying about metal construction, but the backflow preventer is more for domestic water pressure system, like a city hookup, rather than the low-head systems we have on board the camper.

I'd go with the first one, I think.

(I'm no engineer, but I did just have a cup of coffee!)

Top Bottom