Fridge compressor

K.C.

Good day. Took our rig to the shop to have a number of items done including getting the fridge working once again. The shop stated the compressor is gone and our compressors are obsolete not longer available. Additionally, they are unable to find another compressor that will fit in the area available. Has anyone had any luck finding a replacement compressor? Need help ASAP, my beer is getting too warm! Thx!!

Stella_Blue

2017 144 4WD Passenger
Well a lot of us might ask what kind of refrigerator are you talking about, but for myself I'm more interested in knowing what type of beer is in danger.

K.C.

All micros from travels! ;) it’s the James Cook Westfalia Sprinter where the fridge is all the same.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
1. Find another repair shop if their info is wrong. I could be wrong, but the highly popular BD35 compressor is not discontinued and is still being sold.

2. If Grozier's link to Waasabi's solution of adding 134 refrigerant isn't the solution, might also test the plug-in electronic unit-- can sometimes go on the fritz.

3. Background info.

Please post whatever you find and do. Thanks.

OldWest

2004 T1N Westfalia
$163 on Ebay:

$170 + s/h on ebay:

From German shop which repairs our fridge:

Kiltym

Also, the control boards fail much more often then the actual compressor, with the same net result of the compressor not working. I would get your repair shop to swap out the control board and see what happens before replacing the compressor

autocamp

un-Airstream'ed & un-Dodged NAFTA JC
All micros from travels! ;) it’s the James Cook Westfalia Sprinter where the fridge is all the same.
You need to provide more specifics. I'd never heard of any of the Danfoss compressor failed. I highly suspect it is a case of misdiagnosis. I am highly suspicious any US RV repair shops. My vote in likelihood of causes. 1) Misdiagnoses. 2) Refrigerant leak which is still equal to (1). 3) Someone monkeyed with the Danfoss controller without knowing how it's wired or functions. 4) Electronic thermostatic control.

The only likely cause of compressor failure is you lost all the refrigerant together with the lubricant and left the fridge "on" while the controller continue to call for cold. Also if someone clueless and monkeying around the Danfoss controller that can cause it too. Most RV
techs are not techs and will be very challenged with the Danfoss DC compressor and its controller.

K.C.

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately when I picked up my Westy from the shop I was shocked on how they left my rig! I don't trust them and will just start diagnosing myself!

They also attempted to quote replacing the dump valves and a tank seal at 6K! Van was messy, left propane on with my propane alarm going off on the high way. Bent my latch on my propane box cover (was hanging open when I picked it up). Multiple interior panels left off with screws laying around which they didn't know where they went. Much of my camping gear thrown into the center area of the rig. Seal under range was pulled out. On and on and on! The cherry on top was that when I confronted them their excuse was: Well the guy working on your rig was fired for doing sub-par quality work, so its been tough getting your van done!!! What!!!! Please be carful if you bring your van to Genesis RV in Tacoma Wa gents!

grozier

Sorry to read this. Your propane alarm should never go off. If it does, you have a leak somewhere. Check the connections in the closet and under the burners after you confirm that the flex line to the generator is not worn by the driveshaft.

K.C.

Sorry to read this. Your propane alarm should never go off. If it does, you have a leak somewhere. Check the connections in the closet and under the burners after you confirm that the flex line to the generator is not worn by the driveshaft.
Agreed. The shop was also working on the range and again wasn't able to fix it...

Top Bottom