Stuck in 2nd gear - next steps

tmiron

My van (2002 Freightliner 158" WB) has been sitting for a year and now it's stuck in 2nd gear.
I did the Doktor A's Nag1 transmission service: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/2476/
and it's still stuck in second gear. I read in the forums that it may need to be reset by a computer so I ordered the Autel AP200. I ran a report (attached). Looks like it's not reading the wheel speed sensors. I knew the rear passenger one was rusted out and the others my have rusted out while it was sitting (I live on the beach).

Questions:
1. Is there a way (or do I need to) reset the TCM with the AP200?
2. Based on the report I think the most likely suspects are the wheel speed sensors. Seem right? I don't want to spend the money to replace them if I don't have to.

Attachments

The stuck in 2nd gear LHM generally will not clear/reset itself. You can access the TCM aka EGS module directly to clear the related DTC's aka codes. (I find that polling the individual modules manually works more reliably than the automatic polling mode.) That will clear the LHM and restore transmission operation, but if the problems/conditions that trigger the LHM event aren't corrected, the LHM will probably return.

Added:
Rusting of the wheel sensors doesn't necessarily cause malfunctioning. The electronic parts may be ok. Don't discount that the wheel speed tone rings have been affected by rust.

vic

tmiron

The stuck in 2nd gear LHM generally will not clear/reset itself. You can access the TCM aka EGS module directly to clear the related DTC's aka codes. (I find that polling the individual modules manually works more reliably than the automatic polling mode.) That will clear the LHM and restore transmission operation, but if the problems/conditions that trigger the LHM event aren't corrected, the LHM will probably return.

Added:
Rusting of the wheel sensors doesn't necessarily cause malfunctioning. The electronic parts may be ok. Don't discount that the wheel speed tone rings have been affected by rust.

vic
I know that the right rear wheel speed sensor is rusted through completely. When I took the wheel off to inspect it was C shaped. I’m guessing the passenger one went out while it’s been sitting the last year but I need to pull the wheel to inspect it. I think pulling the axle is a bit out of my league

jrod5150

You can stay out of transmission limp mode missing one wheel speed sensor input but not with two. Two damaged or missing wheel
speed inputs sticks you right into 2nd gear

Top Bottom