Solar Awning

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
That’s a great idea, and a start at something that over time may become relatively mainstream for RV’s etc.
Over time the bulk and efficiency should improve, and hopefully costs will go down as well.

cbaarch

2016 Unity MB
If you do a lot of boondocking in areas where there is a lot of sunshine and you stay for days these are OK. If you are a road tripper or park in a lot of wooded campground with a bit of sunshine these are not going to give you more then stationary panels on the roof.
Likely to stay a novelty as an option for a while yet.

bcman

One of the forum members has designed a system of tracks using 8020 T-slot extrusion that lets you stack multiple solar panels, and slide out the upper ones to form an awning. Can't remember who.

marklg

I just throw flexible panels up on the awning, but they can go on the ground too. About $1 per watt.
5_Panels_Forest.jpg

5_Panels_Top_View.jpg

I should probably sue to invalidate their patents for prior art.

Regards,

Mark

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
I am planning an electrically extending solar awning on each side on my next camper--That build is starting now with the chassis improvements. But I am planning to do this with lower cost and higher efficiency hard panels. Should be cool!

kcshoots

VanTripping.com
One of the forum members has designed a system of tracks using 8020 T-slot extrusion that lets you stack multiple solar panels, and slide out the upper ones to form an awning. Can't remember who.
Yeah, there is a guy with a Travato and on the Travato forum that has done this. I camped with him a month or two ago and it worked great and he had energy to spare as well as make plenty of ice cubes for drinks that night.

3Play

my solar engineer friend put 2 huge 460w+ panels on the passenger side of his 158" T1N, They hang vertically and he usually parks with them facing south. If he is stopping for awhile, they have kick stands that allow them to fold out like an awning. Incredibly simple system.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Really? It won’t be much use in shady wooded areas? Ohhhhh snap.
Like I said, a start at something that over time may become relatively mainstream.

I’m thinking 10-15 yrs out. There will be technology improvements during that time, probably be using a solar cells in a nice looking and more compact fabric by then.
i believe it’s Orion.

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
OrioN is operating in stone age.
Even I am with 3Play that it is not worth for me, I see members spending 5 or even 8 grands on house battery system and smaller solar, while this idea would effectively help in eliminating generator for AC use.
Still looks ugly, but so are other solars.

Top Bottom