DIYVan Battery tray or RB Components

Andyvandy

Hey folks, My new van came with the aux battery under the passenger seat, but I removed it to make room for an amp, fix 86, and espar heater. Now I am looking into how to bring back some aux power. I am debating between the DIYVan under van battery tray or the RB Components system under the hood. Right now, I'm favoring the DIY route, because I can just stick my stock aux battery in the tray for now and maybe down the line swap that for larger capacity. If I go the RB route, I like that the batteries are in the engine compartment, but to get the kit and two new 6v batteries is quite spendy. My hesitation with the DIYVan tray is just having the battery out under the van. I like in the mountains and we have plenty of nights and mornings in the teens.

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

Matt Foley

Down by The River
My opinion is that everything that RBC sells is overpriced by a lot and Hein (DIYVan) is a great contributor to the forum and a pleasure to deal with in my experience.

If I was going to put house batteries outside of the van, I'd prefer to have them in an otherwise unused space under the van (and as close to right in between the rear wheel wells for weight distribution) rather than cramming more stuff under the hood where tight work will have to happen when wrenching.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I put the Adventure Wagon auxiliary battery kit in my van with AGM GC2 batteries under the hood back in 2018. If I were doing the same thing today I would be considering LiFePo4 battery technology and putting it inside the van instead. The temperature extremes under the hood can be challenging for batteries in both directions.

I found this past June the northwest's elevated temperatures (90°F to 100°F) put my battery temperatures up to at least 120°F, which inhibited charging levels (temperature-compensating charger), which inhibited my refrigerator's "super cool" function. (Isotherm "Smart Energy Controller" runs at a higher level of cooling when it senses the charging voltage, but the temperature compensation reduced the charging voltage to the point that the SEC didn't do the "super cool" thing. That resulted in my refrigerator *not* being super cooled when I stopped for the evening. Since the van warmed up considerably after I stopped, the refrigerator ran longer and used up more battery. In other words, the system stopped working properly just when I needed it most. Conversely in the winter time it is possible for the battery temps to get too cold; even AGMs don't charge as well below 32°F (0°C).

I think the aux batteries under the hood is an ok solution for occasional use, but has its drawbacks when you encounter environmental extremes.

WIth respect to AGM versus LiFePo4, I think the battery technology has advanced quite a bit over the last 3 years, and I'm considering replacing my AGMs with LiFePo4. The impetus for replacing so soon is that one of my AGM batteries (2 six-volts in series) has a failed internal cell, which most likely came about while my van was sitting during the first COVID year. I think LiFePo4 is less likely to suffer the same kind of failure. LiFePo4s accept charge faster, don't need to be kept full to the brim all the time, and have a higher usable amount of energy storage. Their main drawback is that you can't charge them below 32°F, but most of them come with an internal BMS that keeps that from happening. Although they can be stored outside (especially if you get ones with an internal heater) they are considered safe for use inside your living space because they don't outgas, and so its easier to keep them from environmental extremes of temperature.

They cost a bit more than lead-acid batteries on a raw amp-hour basis, but factoring in their higher usable energy storage, their increased cycle lifetime (charge/discharge), their faster charging rate, and their lack of the same "keep it as full as possible all the time" requirements, the cost difference may not be that big IF you depend upon your auxiliary power source being useful.

Andyvandy

Thought I would post an update-I went with the DIYVan battery tray. Just installed it today and it was all very easy. It’s a good solid tray and fits just right. There were quite a few threaded holes in the chassis to ground to as well. All in all, I’m happy with the choice I made.

jerryer65

Hey folks, My new van came with the aux battery under the passenger seat, but I removed it to make room for an amp, fix 86, and espar heater. Now I am looking into how to bring back some aux power. I am debating between the DIYVan under van battery tray or the RB Components system under the hood. Right now, I'm favoring the DIY route, because I can just stick my stock aux battery in the tray for now and maybe down the line swap that for larger capacity. If I go the RB route, I like that the batteries are in the engine compartment, but to get the kit and two new 6v batteries is quite spendy. My hesitation with the DIYVan tray is just having the battery out under the van. I like in the mountains and we have plenty of nights and mornings in the teens.

Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!
Andy,

This is a question I posted just a minute ago. Did you have any issues after you uninstalled the aux battery? Also, can you explain detail of how you disconnected it?
THanks,

Jerry

Top Bottom