Broken fuel cap…fell into tank

Travelroqs

So my wife went to fill the van with diesel. Some how when she removed the fuel cap, the white part that goes into the fuel neck fell off…and went down the fuel neck.

now…if it went all the way into the tank I would guess this won’t be a huge issue as I am assuming there are filters there…but I’m not sure if it did or not. My wife,I think wisely,drove home and didn’t bother filling the tank. Without the white part though, we also can’t screw the cap on.

Any thoughts, advice, tips, or smart-ass comments are welcome and appreciated. Not really sure how to proceed here.

Thanks in advance.

0E2DF1AC-A5C9-4F30-AA7F-EF95CF44CC21.jpegCE4F3131-2531-4E4B-B217-048BE978697D.jpeg

Dr. Tequila

907-651-2500C, Mahalo Valhalla
Oh boy...
If your diesel has this installed: "K51 MISFUELING PREVENTION FOR DIESEL", it's probably sitting on top of the filler lock. You could fish it out gently or remove the filler neck from the vehicle.

Dr. Tequila

907-651-2500C, Mahalo Valhalla

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
So my wife went to fill the van with diesel. Some how when she removed the fuel cap, the white part that goes into the fuel neck fell off…and went down the fuel neck.

now…if it went all the way into the tank I would guess this won’t be a huge issue as I am assuming there are filters there…but I’m not sure if it did or not. My wife,I think wisely,drove home and didn’t bother filling the tank. Without the white part though, we also can’t screw the cap on.

Any thoughts, advice, tips, or smart-ass comments are welcome and appreciated. Not really sure how to proceed here.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 198135View attachment 198136
2019 - warranty item - dealer - if you can get an appointment.

hdaniels

I have upgraded my tank so I am familiar with pulling the factory tank apart, not very had to pull out the filler hose and see if you can find the part. Remove the torx screws by the filler cap and then loosen the clamp ring where the filler hose attaches to the tank, you can pull it apart and pull the filler hose down and out. Hopefully it got caught before entering the tank.

Travelroqs

It doesn;t seem like I have this feature...thanks for looking out

Travelroqs

I have upgraded my tank so I am familiar with pulling the factory tank apart, not very had to pull out the filler hose and see if you can find the part. Remove the torx screws by the filler cap and then loosen the clamp ring where the filler hose attaches to the tank, you can pull it apart and pull the filler hose down and out. Hopefully it got caught before entering the tank.
Yes...I was taking a look at that today. I was thinking of parking on the angle of my driveway so the diesel will run to the back of the tank...(luckily my wife didnt fill up so there isn't much in there) and taking the hose off...just two hose clamps...and hoping for the best

Tom Tint

Take a ride to Harbor Freight and get a long grabber tool that is on a slinky looking rod. Its basically a long flexible set of wires, wrapped in a spring that can grab things by squeezing a trigger at the top. Stick it down the filler neck and fish around till you grab it...Or just let the dealer do it under warranty. ..As someone else said....If you can get a appointment before 2026

The grabber may not work, but I'd add a vote that it is worth a try. There should be a rollover valve safety feature which may have stopped the parts in the filler neck area rather than letting them rattle all the way down into the tank. Probe around gently.

If you are under warranty it is probably best to not disassemble parts unless you absolutely need to. I would not give a dealership any excuse to blame you for causing additional issues.

vic

Top Bottom