DEF question?

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I have read about lots of (what seems like crazy) problems to me about DEF so I purchased a refractometer to check mine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLDZBS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has great reviews and looks extremely well made, but I am sure it is not lab. quality for $25.

I calibrated it to zero with distilled water. I then checked my pee. A friend once said that if you ever run out of DEF, just pee in your tank, it is after all only urea and water. Well, my pee only read 1.0

I then went and was going to check the DEF in the Sprinter. Even though it only has less than 2000 miles, it is almost two years old and the summer was hot. Well, you can not get a hose down pass some type of blockage to get to the fluid level and my tank is almost full.

I then went and checked the DEF from a new container of Blue DEF from Walmart. There was only one on the shelf, so it didn't appear to have been setting there long. The reading was 29.2. The reading should have been 32.5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my question, has anyone been checking theirs? I sure don't want to see on the dash a WARNING: You have 19 tries to limp mode!
Thanks

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
It can be scary, but I think you are overthinking the issue. You have warranty, right?
I always try to fill DEF at truck stop, when I know it has good rotation.
Also, having a car sitting for 2 years, I drained DEF from it and put it in my Sprinter, so some of DEF could be like 4 years old and I operate my vehicles in triple digits temperatures most of the year.
Meaning the DEF has much longer in-vehicle life than some publications want you to believe.
Still strange that product having 6 months shelf life, comes with no manufacturing data.

WinnieView1

I calibrated it to zero with distilled water. I then checked my pee. A friend once said that if you ever run out of DEF, just pee in your tank, it is after all only urea and water. Well, my pee only read 1.0
Asked the DW to get up there one time for a refill but she wouldn't, and my aim is not that good. Dad used to make Mom use a coffee can in the camper while going down the road.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Asked the DW to get up there one time for a refill but she wouldn't, and my aim is not that good. Dad used to make Mom use a coffee can in the camper while going down the road.
A young husband went to sexsuolog asking for a help in starting sexual relationship with his newly wed wife.
The doctor was turning his head in disbelieve, but finally ask the husband to come to the window and show him 2 dogs maxing it on the street corner.
"this is how it is done".
2 weeks later on follow-up visit doctor ask the husband
"how is your sex life now?"
"It is good for me, but wife still hesitate to go on the corner"

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
A young husband went to sexsuolog asking for a help in starting sexual relationship with his newly wed wife.
The doctor was turning his head in disbelieve, but finally ask the husband to come to the window and show him 2 dogs maxing it on the street corner.
"this is how it is done".
2 weeks later on follow-up visit doctor ask the husband
"how is your sex life now?"
"It is good for me, but wife still hesitate to go on the corner"
A young couple belonged to a sect that required abstinence for the first month after marriage, in order to secure membership in the church.
After the first week of marriage, the preacher stopped by, and spoke with the groom. Groom was clearly nervous, but he told the preacher that they were complying with the requirement.
At two weeks, the groom was getting pale, and developed some twitching. But again, he told the preacher all was good.
At three weeks, the preacher found the groom looking happy, healthy and in great spirits.
The preacher asks "What happened?' Reply: "She dropped a jar of mayonnaise, and bent over to clean it up......And I just couldn't help myself.
So the preacher says "You realize that you won't be allowed into the church?"
Groom......"That's OK.....They won't let us into Safeway anymore, either!"

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 3500 Sprinter Tucson, AZ
I have read about lots of (what seems like crazy) problems to me about DEF so I purchased a refractometer to check mine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLDZBS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has great reviews and looks extremely well made, but I am sure it is not lab. quality for $25.

I then went and was going to check the DEF in the Sprinter. Even though it only has less than 2000 miles, it is almost two years old and the summer was hot. Well, you can not get a hose down pass some type of blockage to get to the fluid level and my tank is almost full.

I then went and checked the DEF from a new container of Blue DEF from Walmart. There was only one on the shelf, so it didn't appear to have been setting there long. The reading was 29.2. The reading should have been 32.5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is my question, has anyone been checking theirs? I sure don't want to see on the dash a WARNING: You have 19 tries to limp mode!
Thanks
I bought the same one and when I tested new DEF it was not altogether clear where the line was. In the diagram they show a sharp line between the blue and the white, I didn't have that, I had blue that faded into white. At the point where it was completely white it did read 32.5. I can only assume that the area where it is not blue but not completely white either is what they refer to as a "shadow" line, and at the bottom of the shadow is where you take your reading. I kind of wish I had bought a digital one.
At any rate I have the 5.8 gallon saddle tank and a siphon hose goes right in all the way to the bottom no problem.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Your dad… husband of the year!
my only questions are where do these guys find these keepers? And do the wives have any younger sisters?

Attachments

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
A young couple belonged to a sect that required abstinence for the first month after marriage, in order to secure membership in the church.
After the first week of marriage, the preacher stopped by, and spoke with the groom. Groom was clearly nervous, but he told the preacher that they were complying with the requirement.
At two weeks, the groom was getting pale, and developed some twitching. But again, he told the preacher all was good.
At three weeks, the preacher found the groom looking happy, healthy and in great spirits.
The preacher asks "What happened?' Reply: "She dropped a jar of mayonnaise, and bent over to clean it up......And I just couldn't help myself.
So the preacher says "You realize that you won't be allowed into the church?"
Groom......"That's OK.....They won't let us into Safeway anymore, either!"
Whaaaaaaaaaaat

johnplyler

2020 4x4
I am really surprised I have not gotten better comments on this DEF subject! Apparently no one is checking theirs! You know this can run into some serious money, like ($2500 from the dealership to drain your tank) I have read!!!
I'm taking my bottle back to the store along with my refractometer. I am going to check every bottle until I find one that reads right (or they throw me out)!

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I am really surprised I have not gotten better comments on this DEF subject! Apparently no one is checking theirs! You know this can run into some serious money, like ($2500 from the dealership to drain your tank) I have read!!!
I'm taking my bottle back to the store along with my refractometer. I am going to check every bottle until I find one that reads right (or they throw me out)!
Most people haven't had a problem with the actual DEF. Problems with sensors and nozzles, sure. But unless you are using really old DEF, or don't drive your van for exceedingly long periods, the actual fluid is not a problem.

bigb

Just go buy Blue Def in Auto Zone or Costco, it is normally only a few weeks old. Look up reverse Julian dating and make some notes then go buy it. If you still get a reading of 29.5 on the refractometer then I would say you are either doing it wrong or the refractometer is not accurate. I tested my old which was a combination of at least 2 year old mixed with some last year which would make the added now 1 year old and it tested good as near as I can figure.

WinnieView1

We have a free extended 4 year warranty on ours and have already made one claim fully covered.

johnplyler

2020 4x4
Went and checked some more DEF. I just carried my refractometer into the store! Another Blue DEF at Walmart read 29! I then checked Super Tech DEF at Walmart and it read 32. The Super Tech was less than half the price at $8 where the Blue DEF had gone up from $13 last week to $18. Guess you know which one I put into the Sprinter?

bigb

Curious what the date was on the Blue Def? Also curious, what do you do after you have broken the seal to test, just leave it on the shelf I'm guessing?

johnplyler

2020 4x4
Curious what the date was on the Blue Def? Also curious, what do you do after you have broken the seal to test, just leave it on the shelf I'm guessing?
You know, the companies do not want you to know the date. They write it in CODE! As for me, I really don't care. The only number that has any bearing on my decision is the DEF % and Blue DEF at 29% doesn't get it! The told Walmart they had a problem with their Blue DEF.

bigb

Yes they do, that's why I figured out the code. I don't mean to offend you but I am a little skeptical that boxes of fresh DEF by a major manufacturer would not be up to snuff, I mean you are not a professional and you are testing it with an inexpensive Chinese instrument in the store aisle. Your test could be accurate but I just have doubts. It reminds me of when I worked in a butcher shop and people would call and say they got short changed on weight, we had scales that cost thousands of dollars and were regularly checked by weights and measures and they would go home and weigh it on their $10 bathroom scale and call up and tell us we were wrong.
Again, not intending to offend or start an argument, I just think there might be room for error in your method, it just doesn't add up in my mind. Unless Walmart isn't rotating product and it is extremely old. That's why knowing the date would be nice to know in solving this mystery, if you happen to go back and get the code stamped on the box I will de-code it.

bigb

Also I wonder if DEF can settle when sitting still and read lower near the top of the container?

johnplyler

2020 4x4
Yes they do, that's why I figured out the code. I don't mean to offend you but I am a little skeptical that boxes of fresh DEF by a major manufacturer would not be up to snuff, I mean you are not a professional and you are testing it with an inexpensive Chinese instrument in the store aisle. Your test could be accurate but I just have doubts. It reminds me of when I worked in a butcher shop and people would call and say they got short changed on weight, we had scales that cost thousands of dollars and were regularly checked by weights and measures and they would go home and weigh it on their $10 bathroom scale and call up and tell us we were wrong.
Again, not intending to offend or start an argument, I just think there might be room for error in your method, it just doesn't add up in my mind. Unless Walmart isn't rotating product and it is extremely old. That's why knowing the date would be nice to know in solving this mystery, if you happen to go back and get the code stamped on the box I will de-code it.
Well, when one reads 29 and the other reads 32, I am going with the 32!

Top Bottom