Anyone here do a vinyl wrap....

Taylor Marine

Thinking of getting my van wrapped since my factory "Premium Metallic" paint job sucks hard and I'm not going to bother with MB trying to fix it. Anyone have a wrap here? Pro's? Cons? I've yet to fully research it but it can't be that bad... I've seen cars 8x the cost of my van with a wrap. There's some cool stuff available. I laughed at myself when I thought of doing a "Up in smoke" wrap... give it that pretty flower look.

cheech-and-chong-up-in-smoke.gif

Last edited:

ssort

It's all about the bikes!
It’s not cheap. But a quality shop is worth the money as it will be much more durable.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Thinking of getting my van wrapped since my factory "Premium Metallic" paint job sucks hard and I'm not going to bother with MB trying to fix it. Anyone have a wrap here? Pro's? Cons? I've yet to fully research it but it can't be that bad... I've seen cars 8x the cost of my van with a wrap. There's some cool stuff available. I laughed at myself when I thought of doing a "Up in smoke" wrap... give it that pretty flower look.

View attachment 197939
Lol that scene in the movie was ALL TIME! ?

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
Do some research, big variation in quality of product and application (and price). Good indicator is what kind of cars are in the shop. After my research, I would go with paint but cost is probably higher for a comparable job. IMO wraps look better in matt or exotic flavors. I only had my hood wrapped w/ clear to prevent rock chips. Shop told me life of wrap was ~5 years.

EinarJ

Not a full wrap, but I did do the front and the bottom sides in 3M black. Also did a clear 3M layer on both sides up to the door handle all the way along to prevent scratches and dings to the body. The material has held up amazingly well over two years. The clear coat material on the sides has been amazing for being able to go boondocking and not have to worry about branches or brush scraping the side. Had a custom detail shop do it which I knew did very good work.

Attachments

Tom Tint

A vehicle wrap is a short term product. If used as a daily driver, expect to see it start o fail in less than a year. Wraps are primarily for fleet vehicles where you read it going by at 60 feet away and 60 mph...Hard to see any imperfections that way.The other full wrap is for cars that see the road every 4th sunny Sunday for a ride around the block. As far as quality. IMO Avery has the best cast vinyl. The sprinter has several places where the wrap will be problematic ..One is the hinges on the rear doors. The other is the body lines in the top of the rear quarters. As the weather changes, and the vinyl expands and contracts, it will lift in these tight areas.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
My wrap is well beyond a year and it looks like new, both the black and the silver vinyl. If I get the promised 5 years out of it I will be happy. Much easier, quicker, and less costly than painting. And easy to change on the fly, which I did the very first week. I recommend a good vinyl wrap shop. It is a skill to apply it perfectly. Thanks to @Wrinkledpants for the hood design.

F2D52CE5-40E6-456B-92A5-D40587B93AE0.jpeg

Tom Tint

What looks perfectly fine to one person..may be a problem to another. If that has been on for over a year, Im certain it has begun to lift in the problem areas. Another note, Is that the wraps really don't like snow and salt and sand.. When the wrap is tucked up in the wheel wells, The edge will hold the sand and dirt..and inevitably peel.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
The key is using quality products and a professional installer. Turns out my wrap is almost two years old, time flys. Snow, sand, and SoCal sun and most people mistake the wrap for paint.

357913E2-1CBE-4D80-8C37-F6C994B2EBDD.jpeg4B63B5AC-881D-4F40-8BAA-E5D8691896E5.jpeg

Top Bottom