shim for prop shaft center support bearing? (and other prop shaft supplier questions)

sarl_cagan

2006 118" SHC in Portland, OR
Hello everyone,

The van is in the shop and it sounds like my center support bearing may be on its way out. There are a few cracks down there and I'm getting a speed-related "whistle" noise. Almost sounds like a turbo whistle. While I was researching the bearing replacement, I came across two youtube videos where a guy (is he one of you?) is installing an MB-made shim on his 118" (he calls it a "3 meter" :p: ). The videos are HERE and HERE. Coincidentally, I came across a service bulletin (reference screen grabs below) in the T1N resources folder. The shim supposedly better aligns the driveshaft to decrease wear on the bearing and lessen vibration and shudder.

I have not found much else related to this on the forum (or my searching skills are garbage)...

Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.53.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 12.53.32 PM.png
The shim part number (MB): A9034110084
From the service bulletin, I see the (possibly special) bolt part numbers (MB) are: A0049903112
I also see an "asymmetric strap" part number (MB): A9034110040

Screen grabs from YouTube videos:
IMG_6514.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-10-20 at 11.11.26 AM.png

Question 1: Has anyone else added this shim and is a recommended/required thing at this point? Did you use this "asymmetric strap"?

I notice that a whole new driveshaft also includes this center support bearing and bracket. I had to wonder if I should consider replacing the whole thing instead. There have been old forum posts on a place in Portland, OR called Driveline Service of Portland that makes custom, serviceable sprinter driveshaft. Their website HERE shows the same. I called them yesterday and it sounds like they no longer build their own driveshafts for Sprinters... but they DO have a source that builds them for them. It was ~$730 for a 118" driveshaft. Spicer components and U-joints and center support bearing is included. I see Dorman also makes one for the 118" sprinter.

Question 2: Anyone put a Dorman driveshaft on your 118"? Good? bad? Serviceable?

Another option (way better at a surface level observation) for a serviceable drive line (with carrier bearing / center support) is from a place called Powertrain Industries. Part number image shown below. I called them and they referred me to a different place called Driveshaft Pro. Driveshaft Pro (looks like there are a few locations) told me the part number matched BUT they make their own driveshafts there in California. I'm not really sure what the relation (or lack of) between the two companies are. I didn't question too much either.

Powertrain Industries website screen shot:
21-10-20_powertrain_industries_web_screenshot_v1.png

Question 3: Anyone put a Driveshaft Pro drive line on?

Thanks very much!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric Experience

Sarl.
The brand of drive shaft does not matter, obviously the factory is best, what matters is the alignment. To get zero vibration you need to ensure that the flange angle on output of the gear box and the flange angle on the pinion are the same. The average mechanic would have no clue on how to measure the angles but anyone can do it. There are plenty of devices to measure angles. The spacers or shims you show are part of the kit to reduce the angles. years ago we had a long discussion on this topic. Eric.

fisjon

Hi Sarl
I have had a problem with a vibrating prop-shaft, had it reconditioned and balanced (twice) still making a drumming noise at 45mph upwards.
I know that my van is the early model (1996) but I have noted that the fixing holes for the centre bearing were very close to the fuel tank and the safety U hanger was touching the tank. I took a punt to see if the fixing kit would sort this problem out.
So I got hold of the parts from Germany:
1x Mounting plate (shim) MA9034110084 £64.20
1x offset U bracket MA9034110040 £7.86
2x Special bolts MA0049903112 £16.68
2x Special nut MN913023012002 £5.16
£93.90 or $126.25 total

Attempted to fit the kit today only to find that the handbrake cable interferes with the shim and a few pulls on the cable will result in no handbrake.
So this kit is now available. I will give you first shout Sarl, at cost price plus cost of postage/shipping.

hope this helps

Attachments

sarl_cagan

Hi @fisjon, (sorry for the delayed response) I really appreciate the offer but I'll kindly pass. I have a feeling you're located over the pond (shipping could be tough) and if installed, I wouldn't even know if that kit made my situation better or worse. It's unclear to me when a van would need that kit and when one is OK without it.

BUT, for the sake of putting data out in the world, I did check that "U bracket" on my 2006 118" van and it is touching my fuel tank as well:
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 4.17.01 PM.png

Thank you again!

Edit: @Eric Experience, great memory. I might have found it. THIS one?

Last edited:

sarl_cagan

I've gone full circle.

My van has a shudder/vibration still and I took it to a drivetrain specialty shop. Without me even mentioning the existence of this "kit", the shop said they had modified my Wholesale Import Parts carrier bearing housing to shift my bearing over roughly 0.5" to better align my driveshaft. To make a (very) long story short, this did NOT cure my mystery vibration and I cannot "feel" a difference with my particular vibration. BUT I suppose the U-joints *could be* (quietly) happier... we might never know.

My center support bearing USED to look like this:
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 3.07.28 PM.png

NOW my center support bearing looks like this:
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 3.08.00 PM.png

With 1 of 2 mounting bolts looking like this:
Screen Shot 2022-02-27 at 3.08.11 PM.png

If I could fabricate and weld, I don't think I'd do it like this... but you could convince me that the center support bearing itself does not see much of a load. The shop really DOES seems to know what they are doing but my gut doesn't like the idea of clamping with only a portion of a bolt head AND having that many less threads engaged in the frame.

Would a bolt like this worry you guys or am I over-thinking it? I swear... the more people I pay to fix this thing, the weirder it gets. The things I'd do for a tall garage. I am a little bummed though that if the driveshaft is the vibration culprit.. I don't know if WIP will accept this as a return at this point.

Last edited:

Charly

Hi Sarl
I have had a problem with a vibrating prop-shaft, had it reconditioned and balanced (twice) still making a drumming noise at 45mph upwards.
I know that my van is the early model (1996) but I have noted that the fixing holes for the centre bearing were very close to the fuel tank and the safety U hanger was touching the tank. I took a punt to see if the fixing kit would sort this problem out.
So I got hold of the parts from Germany:
1x Mounting plate (shim) MA9034110084 £64.20
1x offset U bracket MA9034110040 £7.86
2x Special bolts MA0049903112 £16.68
2x Special nut MN913023012002 £5.16
£93.90 or $126.25 total

Attempted to fit the kit today only to find that the handbrake cable interferes with the shim and a few pulls on the cable will result in no handbrake.
So this kit is now available. I will give you first shout Sarl, at cost price plus cost of postage/shipping.

hope this helps
Do you still have your kit for sale?

Top Bottom