All I-5 rest areas north of Sea-Tac to be closed

2x1968muscle

Itasca Reyo 25R
One of the news stories stated that vandalism, dumping of garbage, extended stays and threats made to WSDOT employees played a big part of the decision.
Thats why we cant have nice things

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
They are 2 or 3 rest areas between Las Vegas and Bakersfield (1/2 way to San Francisco)
They are closed about 80% of the time "for repairs" for years and it only got worse during Covid.
Caltrans has long history of neglecting their jobs, including 5 -fold cost overruns on Bay Area bridges.
Taxpayers money at work.
At least in WA you have some trees to pee. No such luck on Mojave desert.

Lagom

Panic in Detroit
One of the news stories stated that vandalism, dumping of garbage, extended stays and threats made to WSDOT employees played a big part of the decision.
Thats why we cant have nice things
(my emphasis added)

These are not new problems, nor are they unique to I-5 north of Seattle. As interstate rest areas go, these were pretty nice.

There used to be news reporting. Nowadays the news is just an outlet for press releases and Journolist-style propaganda, bleating FOUR LEGS GOOD, TWO LEGS BAD on cue.

Sad.

These days getting things shipped around the country is more difficult as it is. This doesn't help the truckers at all.

Rest areas are typically open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.

The rest areas are useful for people who need to take a break from the highway. However, in recent months, there have been numerous issues with some visitors who are not using the facilities for their intended purpose. This includes those who extend their stay beyond the posted limits, illegal disposal of trash and waste, vandalizing the buildings, verbally abusing and even threatening WSDOT employees.
WSDOT press release (October 13, 2021).
vic

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Too bad, because as you said these rest areas are really nice ones.
I've been to above areas few years ago, but I doubt they changed and there was nothing special. Still remember few "fulltimer" rigs sitting there and doubt that got better.
Now East Coast rest areas made my jaw drop.
-landscape
-gazebos
-hiking trails
-dog areas with bags
-clean restrooms on both sides, so you don't have to walk 1/2 mile with pressure in your bladder.

3Play

Those Wa. rest stops were nice, nothing special, just good clean stops. They use to have free coffee from various charities that had
a donation can out.
I have done that Seattle Bellingham run so many times I can't even estimate the number.
That coffee and cookie at 1, or 2AM was a welcome wake up before the last 25 miles to B-ham.....

D

Deleted member 50714

Can’t have nice stuff in Commiefornia because a certain ethnicity feels compelled to destroy everything they see.
B9AB8EA5-5774-438F-AD7E-58D6FBE786E9.jpeg

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Now Bob, following our moderator logic, we should ask what is the proof the picture was taken in California?

D

Deleted member 50714

What chaps my hide is the placement closed signs. I’ll pass gas station rest room opportunities only to discover a closed sign at the rest stop entrance. As much as we pay in taxes, every rest stop should have attendant to wash windshields.

cc_windsurfer

Just saw the news that the sign they needed to reinstall before reopening 101 into Goleta is the sign for the gaviota rest area, which of course is closed.

Last edited:

Top Bottom