nOx Sensor Shortage

FrankS

while I can understand your frustration, what's the alternative? Not ship/sell anymore new vans? there are many threads here in the forum from people waiting on the delivery of their new van. do you think anyone would NOT want it because some part could not be available should it break sometime in the future? I for sure wouldn't.

45Kevin

Is there something that could mimic input from the NOX sensor?
Like a resistor or two wired into the line.

Or maybe a temporary software patch that lets the system ignore the NOX sensor input?

Smithrep

Seasaltprojects
At this point the tech says nothing can be done except drive it until it goes into Limp mode, that is not a safe solution. I took it in because it went into START count down sequence... they cleared that but it will come back on again. I can not risk it until then. I am not the only owner at this dealership waiting for the same Sensor.

I spoke to MB USA today, they are not helpful they blame Covid and tell me to wait. No assistance offered or given and they stated they will continue to deliver factor build Vans knowing full well they have NO parts support for warranty replacement. Warranty coverage does not provide for loss of use either.

Quite sad, I have been a very vocal PRO Sprinter advocate for 11 years that is all going out the window quickly.

My paid for Van sits ideal while my warranty clock ticks down now too.. ridiculous.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
Is there something that could mimic input from the NOX sensor?
Like a resistor or two wired into the line.

Or maybe a temporary software patch that lets the system ignore the NOX sensor input?
There is an option in the variant coding of the CR61 control module to code the AdBlue system off.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
You might want to check your state's lemon law. Many of them require a buyback if the vehicle can't be repaired in a certain number of days. You may or may not want a buyback, but your (free) spec lawyer can typically negotiate a substantial cash payout instead. I did this once and got a significant payment and got to keep the vehicle.

boatworksjon

Start the arbitration process at day 30. As it takes a 40+ days to work it out. (been there with a T&C minivan) if anything it will put you at the front of the line with the dealer.
Ask for a buyback.

lancesmith177

I have a 2020 V-6 3500 (it is a 2021 Winnebago Vita RV) with 12,500 miles, it tripped the CEL a few weeks ago.

Took it to MB dealer and they diagnosed it as needing new NOx sensor, ETA on part is January '22.

So I bought a cheap ($27) OBD code reader, codes are "P229E" and "P229F". I clear the codes after each time CEL comes on (which then turns off the CEL light)... I have not gotten the dreaded countdown timer, hopefully I can manage that by clearing the codes...? Fyi, CEL comes back on after driving about 30 miles or so.

Prior to the CEL issue showing up a few weeks ago, I went on a 9K trip cross-country, averaged 14 mpg and was impressed with the MB part of the RV, but the emissions system seems like its going to be a very weak link in an otherwise very capable van.

Last edited:

Smithrep

Seasaltprojects
Update still no ETA, I am considering purchasing a OBD2 device to see if I can drive it and clear the fault as needed... but here is the PART number for those out there that we asking: 000905911264 (note looks like they are available online but MB will not purchase from online sites and install...

AR74

I know everyone is waiting on warranty work but I’ve got a Nox Sensor from a 2020 with less than 1k miles if anyone may be interested .

Smithrep

Seasaltprojects
Fyi careful if you take your van in and the part is not available like the NOX sensor, I spoke to dealer today and they will not release van to me due to fault. Van is not safe to drive per Service Manager and if I take it away I risk voiding warranty if something else fails when a known unfixed faulty sensor has not been fixed. I only hope NOV brings better news and a fix comes soon. Tomorrow marks 4 weeks sitting at dealer now.

2021_3500_LowRoof

2021 Does not require AEM Modifications, this is a brand new van post any issues, simple NOX failure that should have been an easy fix, but there are no parts to fix world wide... but of course they keep building and shipping vans with the parts.. so anyone who has a failure will wait for an untold amount of time. Yes they provided me with a loaner vehicle, but if I really wanted a Tahoe I would have just bought one and not the Sprinter I paid for 60days ago. So frustrating..

Everyone keep your fingers crossed your do not have a failure of any part on your van, they are likely on back order too..
Glad you got a loaner many will not as this is a commercial vehicle and someone has said they don’t require it.

2021_3500_LowRoof

Fyi careful if you take your van in and the part is not available like the NOX sensor, I spoke to dealer today and they will not release van to me due to fault. Van is not safe to drive per Service Manager and if I take it away I risk voiding warranty if something else fails when a known unfixed faulty sensor has not been fixed. I only hope NOV brings better news and a fix comes soon. Tomorrow marks 4 weeks sitting at dealer now.
This is happening to other car brands too. And yes after waiting for many months for my van and trading in my trusty Ram Cummins(even though I just put a $2k def pump in, I’m pretty sure I’d be devistated of my van was held up another month, especially since I will be using by this as a wheelchair van.

2021_3500_LowRoof

At this point the tech says nothing can be done except drive it until it goes into Limp mode, that is not a safe solution. I took it in because it went into START count down sequence... they cleared that but it will come back on again. I can not risk it until then. I am not the only owner at this dealership waiting for the same Sensor.

I spoke to MB USA today, they are not helpful they blame Covid and tell me to wait. No assistance offered or given and they stated they will continue to deliver factor build Vans knowing full well they have NO parts support for warranty replacement. Warranty coverage does not provide for loss of use either.

Quite sad, I have been a very vocal PRO Sprinter advocate for 11 years that is all going out the window quickly.

My paid for Van sits ideal while my warranty clock ticks down now too.. ridiculous.
That I may fight on.

Top Bottom