ifedlincurry

How reliable is your information about new generation of Sprinter in US? the news is very disappointing to many! E-Sprinter is a joke for folks who want to do some level of van conversion. E vehicle is really a joke. What is used to make electricity (gas, coal, a little nuclear, solar and wind) and how to handle mountains of used lithium batteries. I hate the gov has been pushing "climate" nonsense too hard.
Yeah, I was one of those waiting for the whole electric revolution to happen before spending a ton of money on a van conversion (I actually have a cyber truck preorder), however I realized its a long ways off and life can't wait for that. No way these EVs will be able to have a range beyond 100 miles if they are built with a high roof (i.e. non-aerodynamic), and weigh over 10k+ lbs with all the RV essentials, even given the largest battery packs that are coming (200kwh+)

2021_3500_LowRoof

yes I did lol, to both.
Hi, been watch some of your videos. Thanks for those…nice to see communication by a dealer like that.
how do you know your vans are a few days out?
Are they released to shipper or do you know if door handles arrived for vans without them?

van_bae

Thank you! I appreciate that. Yes if it's release to carrier AND shipment pick up, then it's really en route! Once it shows on dealer website/dealer inventory, it's real LOL. What do you mean for the vans without door handles, I haven't seen that?

2021_3500_LowRoof

Thank you! I appreciate that. Yes if it's release to carrier AND shipment pick up, then it's really en route! Once it shows on dealer website/dealer inventory, it's real LOL. What do you mean for the vans without door handles, I haven't seen that?
I was told several weeks ago that they ran out of door handles so some vans had to wait for them… which is pretty lame…. My van says delay to VPC, at least that’s what the dealer said. Not sure what that means. It was produced 9/14.

T town

How reliable is your information about new generation of Sprinter in US? the news is very disappointing to many! E-Sprinter is a joke for folks who want to do some level of van conversion. E vehicle is really a joke. What is used to make electricity (gas, coal, a little nuclear, solar and wind) and how to handle mountains of used lithium batteries. I hate the gov has been pushing "climate" nonsense too hard.
You forgot hydro which is the major player here in the PNW.

ifedlincurry

Hi! I don't forsee this happening in the next 3 years. Electric will come first, 2023 end of year
One of the top guys at Storyteller Overland in an interview on the STONation podcast said they will be switching to the AWD OM654 chassis mid 2022. I'm inclined to believe his information because they are a fairly large volume builder now, they must have some kind of insider info.

xyskis

Yeah, I was one of those waiting for the whole electric revolution to happen before spending a ton of money on a van conversion (I actually have a cyber truck preorder), however I realized its a long ways off and life can't wait for that. No way these EVs will be able to have a range beyond 100 miles if they are built with a high roof (i.e. non-aerodynamic), and weigh over 10k+ lbs with all the RV essentials, even given the largest battery packs that are coming (200kwh+)
BrightDrop is coming out with a fairly compelling van but may be only available B2B for now.

van_bae

I love this thread lol... Storyteller... Yeah that brightdrop is great. MB coming electric by 2023 for Sprinter we believe

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
One of the top guys at Storyteller Overland in an interview on the STONation podcast said they will be switching to the AWD OM654 chassis mid 2022. I'm inclined to believe his information because they are a fairly large volume builder now, they must have some kind of insider info.
I found the STO Nation YouTube video of that interview with Lee Conn, the President/COO and Andrew Cooley, the CRO at Storyteller Overland. Storyteller claims they are second only to Winnebago on building Sprinter 2500 4x4 vans - so they probably have some good insights on what Mercedes-Benz Vans USA is going to do in future.

Here is link to the video - discussion about new Sprinter starts at 34:25.

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I found the STO Nation YouTube video of that interview with Lee Conn, the President/COO and Andrew Cooley, the CRO at Storyteller Overland. Storyteller claims they are second only to Winnebago on building Sprinter 2500 4x4 vans - so they probably have some good insights on what Mercedes-Benz Vans USA is going to do in future.

Here is link to the video - discussion about new Sprinter starts at 32:15.
2022 Sprinter AWD 4cyl 9sp discussed @ 34:25

Last edited:

blutow

I am still waiting for the OM654 , new AWD. I feel like an idiot to get robbed by artificially high 4x4 Sprinter (more than 10k markup for a sub standard AWD) on the market now.
It's simply supply and demand. The buyers are setting the market price, so it's hard to argue that it's artificially high. I agree that it's a terrible 4wd system, but it's obviously good enough for the folks lining up to buy them at a big premium. What is the motivation for MB to improve the US sprinter right now? They can't even keep up with demand for the current one. Increased demand is the last thing they need right now. The only reason they are spending time/$ on the electric version is because they see the writing on the wall with the ongoing emissions fight.

2021_3500_LowRoof

It's simply supply and demand. The buyers are setting the market price, so it's hard to argue that it's artificially high. I agree that it's a terrible 4wd system, but it's obviously good enough for the folks lining up to buy them at a big premium. What is the motivation for MB to improve the US sprinter right now? They can't even keep up with demand for the current one. Increased demand is the last thing they need right now. The only reason they are spending time/$ on the electric version is because they see the writing on the wall with the ongoing emissions fight.
I’m not sure anyone is saying the old system is bad. I think they are actually saying that they can produce more(or make more $) if an in-house system is used

Top Bottom