Automatic gearbox issues

Rcbwales

Hi

I have a 2008 Mercedes 511CDI minibus, with an automatic gearbox, on the flat and when travelling along there are no issues, the gear changes are fine, however whenever I have to stop on a hill, the gearbox holds the van on the hill, but when I press the accelerator to pull away nothing happens, the van does not move, does not rev, just holds its position, this also occurs in reverse but only on an incline, on the flat there are no issues.

I would be grateful for any assistance or recommendations, thank you.

sailquik

Rcbwales,
Which engine and transmission do you have?
2008......OM-642 3.0 liter V6.......5G-Tronic/NAG-1 5 speed automatic
transmission?
Something else?
Guessing you are NOT in the USA where there would be only one possible engine/transmission option.
Have you tried holding the Sprinter with the service brakes, and either shifting it out of gear, then back into gear in the diretion you need to go
(uphill or downhill), or possibly hold it on the service brakes (with the brake pedal) and shift it out of gear and into park (P) and back into gear.
Some Sprinters have a "hill hold" mode and it almost sounds like yours goes into hill hold mode, but does not release when you come off the brakes and try to accelerate.
A full diagnostic scan may develop some codes that could show you if there is some issue with the TCM (Transmission Control Module).
Hope this helps,
Roger

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Hi

I have a 2008 Mercedes 511CDI
Rcbwales,
Which engine and transmission do you have?
2008......OM-642 3.0 liter V6.......5G-Tronic/NAG-1 5 speed automatic transmission?
A 511CDi will have a 110 HP 4 cylinder engine so definitely not the V6 you are used to in the USA.

But I'm not sure which trans is fitted to the 4 cylinder engine in the UK which is where I am guessing @Rcbwales lives???

Keith.

sailquik

A 511CDi will have a 110 HP 4 cylinder engine so definitely not the V6 you are used to in the USA.

But I'm not sure which trans is fitted to the 4 cylinder engine in the UK which is where I am guessing @Rcbwales lives???

Keith.
Hi Keith,
Yeah! I kinda figured the 511CDI Bus would be an OM-651 with less power rating, but as you suspect, which transmission.
Not sure if the 511CDI uses the 5G-Tronic, or some other automatic, or
might even have the 6 speed Sprint Shift with hydraulic clutch.
Regards,
Roger

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Sprintshift was discontinued with the 903, so the last ones of those out of the factory would be 2006 possibly 2007 in a 903 Sprinter.

A Euro 2008 906 with an automatic transmission has to be a 722.6 NAG 5 speed.

98Firebird

Sounds like the stator in the torque converter is bad to me just based off the issues you are having especially if there are no codes present.

Rcbwales

Hi everyone

I am in the UK.

Thank you for your reply, it is 2148cc, 5 speed automatic, no clutch, although you can move the shift to the left to go up and down through the gears.

If I put it in neutral, rev the engine then put it in reverse or drive it will pull away but only sluggisly.

It could be a "hill hold mode" that it is not coming out of, but how would I be able to bypass or sort that please.

I really appreciate you taking the time to reply

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Do your brake lights work correctly? If you press the brake pedal the ECM cuts engine power so faulty brake lights could also cut power.

Was any work carried out prior to the loss of power or what where the circumstances when you first noticed loss of power?

Keith.

PS And have you checked the auto trans fluid level?

Rcbwales

Hi Keith

The brake lights are all working, I did change the rear light unit but that was after the issue and nothing has changed, the only lights that don't work on either side are the rear fog lights, I bought it at auction and have converted it to a camper van, so I do not have any history.

We discovered the issue on its first trip out.

All fluids have been changed and filters etc.

Cheers

Ryan

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Have you scanned for codes? You really need an MB specific scanner and not a generic OBD scanner.

Rcbwales

I have used a generic scanner and it came up with three codes, code 1 & 3 are P1955, code 2 is P0638 the throttle actuator control, range performance Bank, I have ordered a throttle control body to see if it sorts it out, it justs feels like a sensor or control panel issue.

Top Bottom