Aussie t1n boost cutout: but no turbo resonator

Sanrory

Hey everyone here esp those with T1Ns. I've got 2005 316 with OM647. Ex police.

Every now and then, the turbo cuts out on long hills. From research online, it sounds alot like this 'turbo resonator leak' issue that T1Ns in the USA have.

But my T1N doesn't have this resonator - see image.

Any other ideas what could be causing this failure under high-boost situations?

Cheers!244562961_207812911446155_1517386182072923523_n.jpg

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Do you have any codes stored? Or, if you haven't yet scanned, then this should be your first priority!

T1N's often suffer LHM without the CEL/MIL coming on so get scanned and report back.

PS Another source of loss of boost is the turbo boost actuator solenoid located beneath the air filter box. See this thread for basic test details...

Keith.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It could certainly be an actuator hiccup, but it can also be leakage from any of the hose clamps, plus nearly-invisible cracks in the fat rubber hoses (or even a cracked intercooler). The hose splits are renowned for happening out-of-sight (inner surface of a bend).

Look for evidence of oil spray in the engine area ... when my resonator split (slightly), it painted the back of the radiator with oil from the entrapped air stream ... thinking about where that must have come from led me to the split.

added: i have to say that your turbo-side photo looks nice and dry (no spray).

--dick

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
I've got 2005 316 with OM647.
@Sanrory Are you certain your Australian 2005 T1N has an OM647? I thought that engine was only ever fitted to USA/NAS/NAFTA spec T1N's?

The 7th, 8th and 9th digits of your VIN will tell you your engine model, eg mine starts WDB903612...... (Except I actually have an OM611 not OM612 but the principle is the same).

Keith.

Sanrory

@Sanrory Are you certain your Australian 2005 T1N has an OM647? I thought that engine was only ever fitted to USA/NAS/NAFTA spec T1N's?

The 7th, 8th and 9th digits of your VIN will tell you your engine model, eg mine starts WDB903612...... (Except I actually have an OM611 not OM612 but the principle is the same).

Keith.
Whoops you are right! 612

Last edited:

Sanrory

Hey everyone here esp those with T1Ns. I've got 2005 316 with OM647. Ex police.

Every now and then, the turbo cuts out on long hills. From research online, it sounds alot like this 'turbo resonator leak' issue that T1Ns in the USA have.

But my T1N doesn't have this resonator - see image.

Any other ideas what could be causing this failure under high-boost situations?

Cheers!View attachment 196439
sorry I made a mistake on my engine code. It's a 612

Top Bottom