2014 MB MESSAGE ( 8 starts remaining) anyone know a DIY REMEDY?

maasthor

Some of these messages will clear after a number of starts, but you really should take it to a Mercedes dealer and find out the cause. There are a number of recalls/extended warranty issues that may be the cause and it would be free to have it fixed. This includes sensors for the exhaust and wheels.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
x2 on taking it for AEM, but I would still read the code as it could be low DEF fluid and you will look like an idiot taking it to dealer.
The will charge you well over $200 for DEF fill.

WinnieView1

x2 on taking it for AEM, but I would still read the code as it could be low DEF fluid and you will look like an idiot taking it to dealer.
The will charge you well over $200 for DEF fill.
They will drain and refill the DEF for no charge as a result of the warranty that's included with the AEM.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
They will drain and refill the DEF for no charge as a result of the warranty that's included with the AEM.
No offence, but you are making the decision for dealer. What you are saying would be warranty scam.
What will prevent them from adding DEF and reset the message, what is about $500 procedure and THEN start with AEM procedure.
All perfectly legal.

WinnieView1

No offence, but you are making the decision for dealer. What you are saying would be warranty scam.
What will prevent them from adding DEF and reset the message, what is about $500 procedure and THEN start with AEM procedure.
All perfectly legal.
They did it for us and everyone else included on these forums (when needed).

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Not to everyone. Several members were charged for fixing the codes before performing AEM and per my understanding that is the correct way.
I assume some MY have additional note to fix some codes DURING AEM, but no official statement how it works.

WinnieView1

Not to everyone. Several members were charged for fixing the codes before performing AEM and per my understanding that is the correct way.
I assume some MY have additional note to fix some codes DURING AEM, but no official statement how it works.
It's all about relationship with the dealer and SA. ;)

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Could be, but I also hear that each additional work at AEM has to be approved by headquarters. so bringing a bottle to SA might not work.

WinnieView1

The first SA we were assigned at the dealer two years ago was fired for putting our Service A on his own credit card since he didn't have our approval for the work done.
We have been lucky over the last three years and have never paid a dime but;
  • 2 airbags
  • Service A
  • AEM
  • WSS replaced

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
2014 MB message (8 starts remaining) what is the best way to remedy the problem?
Get a code reader on it, and determine the exact cause of the "8 starts remaing" symptom. Then proceed from there, as others have suggested.
There can be several causes of that type of warning, and the low DEF scenario is one that you can resolve yourself. If it's more complex, take it to a "qualified workshop" (MB Sprinter sales/service dealership) and have it diagnosed and resolved. As part of any scheduled service appointment, the shop should check the VIN for any outstanding recalls, and offer you options on how to proceed.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
Need to bite the bullet and get into a qualified service place.

I understand that this can be difficult based on current service workloads. (places are busy)

The only way to DIY is to manage how many times you start.

Last edited:

TJLee089

2013 Itasca Reyo 25R
I know of no reason for "X starts remaining" other than DEF related. The OP never indicated that his DEF level was OK. Start there.

Top Bottom