Tapping under footwell (pedal area)

Farfrumwork

Hey All,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what it could be.

When on bumpy trails and at low speed, light corrugate or larger roots, I can feel and hear a sporadic light tapping under the pedals in the footwell. Really sounds/feels like something moving back and forth and transmitting that motion through the floor. Doesn't sound/feel too violent or like too large of a motion, but unnerving, and errant motion is not good for mechanicals...

I can't find any loose bolts, but I can't provide loading like a 8000lb van can.

fwiw - I've got Van Compass Fox shocks and full skid plates.

Thanks,
-Chad

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
Hey All,

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what it could be.

When on bumpy trails and at low speed, light corrugate or larger roots, I can feel and hear a sporadic light tapping under the pedals in the footwell. Really sounds/feels like something moving back and forth and transmitting that motion through the floor. Doesn't sound/feel too violent or like too large of a motion, but unnerving, and errant motion is not good for mechanicals...

I can't find any loose bolts, but I can't provide loading like a 8000lb van can.

fwiw - I've got Van Compass Fox shocks and full skid plates.

Thanks,
-Chad
Did you check the 4 strut top mount bolts? TQ is fairly low ... (40-60 ft lbs?) so don't put a big bar on them. The big nut has bigger TQ - something like 90 ft lbs. Also inspect the rubber mount for tearing.

Farfrumwork

Thanks for the suggestion! I will check. Strut top bolts would make sense, and that issue has affected my Legacy in the past as well (which exhibited a similar symptom).

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
Thanks for the suggestion! I will check. Strut top bolts would make sense, and that issue has affected my Legacy in the past as well (which exhibited a similar symptom).
Also, the ball joints and/or sway bar links will produce the same.....

Farfrumwork

Found a bolt on the Van Compass lower front Fox strut bracket (the front most bolt, that connects to the A-arm) that took 3/4 of a turn. That may have bee the issue, but I need to get to a rougher road to check.

Strut tops seem good. But I need to get after them with the proper tools to be sure. Rubber on the OEM struts is good (not ripped). I know it doesn't take much play at the strut tops to generate a bunch of noise.

Top Bottom