Aftermarket Front Black Grill Options

Looking to swap the front chrome grill with the all black one. Is it best to replace with genuine Mercedes part? Im finding lots of aftermarket options. Anyone here swap for the black grill? Where did you purchase from?

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Looking to swap the front chrome grill with the all black one. Is it best to replace with genuine Mercedes part? Im finding lots of aftermarket options. Anyone here swap for the black grill? Where did you purchase from?
I tried an aftermarket option off ebay. Did not fit, sent it back and luckily received a full refund.
ended up just painting mine. Not going to pay 500+ for a factory one.

Taylor Marine

Is your entire grill chrome or is it just the strips of chrome and the chrome star on black plastic? I looked at Agile's offering but the price was laughable. My grill was black with chrome strips/star, the grill side surrounds are body color. I spent $30 on some decent sandpaper (carbide grit), a can of primer and a can of satin pumpkin orange. The strips come off easy, just start at one end and work towards the other. The star comes out simply by grabbing it and rotate/twist it counter clockwise... It comes out and separates into the chrome star part and the black background part. On my grill, the star had a solid black back so I cut it out to allow air to flow through (some grills have a molded in perforated back and some have a solid back, makes no sense). The chrome plating is tough as nails... To get anything to stick to it you really need to sand the F out if it, scratch it up pretty good. A nice coat of primer and 2 coats of paint.... Couldn't be happier. Did the rear star emblem as well... It comes apart easily.

IMG_1834.jpg

Thanks for the responses. Yep it has just the chrome inserts, and the body color grill trim. Wanting that all black. Maybe I’ll have to look into painting it. My concern was painting the chrome and how well it would hold.

This replacement looked promising…

Mrshakedown

There are etch primers that stick to specifically plastic.

Maroon scotch brite, high quality plastic etch primer, go to a auto body supply place it comes in rattle cans. Then 2k rattle cans if you don’t have a gun for actual paint. You can get mate clear if you prefer or Hot rod satin black In cans..

Or take it off and drop it at a autobody shop. I thought Agiles price was fair without shipping. Not sure I’d feel that way shipped vrs paying a painter.

Mis1rab

Is your entire grill chrome or is it just the strips of chrome and the chrome star on black plastic? I looked at Agile's offering but the price was laughable. My grill was black with chrome strips/star, the grill side surrounds are body color. I spent $30 on some decent sandpaper (carbide grit), a can of primer and a can of satin pumpkin orange. The strips come off easy, just start at one end and work towards the other. The star comes out simply by grabbing it and rotate/twist it counter clockwise... It comes out and separates into the chrome star part and the black background part. On my grill, the star had a solid black back so I cut it out to allow air to flow through (some grills have a molded in perforated back and some have a solid back, makes no sense). The chrome plating is tough as nails... To get anything to stick to it you really need to sand the F out if it, scratch it up pretty good. A nice coat of primer and 2 coats of paint.... Couldn't be happier. Did the rear star emblem as well... It comes apart easily.

View attachment 196062
[/QUOTE

View attachment 196062
This looks great, did you remove the grill before painting it? Also how did you get the rear emblem off? I tired to remove mine but could not figure out what was holding it in place. Thanks

Scubalong

2020 144 4x4 Graphite Grey
This looks great, did you remove the grill before painting it? Also how did you get the rear emblem off? I tired to remove mine but could not figure out what was holding it in place. Thanks
For the rear emblem just pull it hard after remove the 2 bolts. It is glue together with double tape.

Mis1rab

For the rear emblem just pull it hard after remove the 2 bolts. It is glue together with double tape.
Thanks Scrubalong! I thought as much but did not want to chance breaking it. Has anyone tried to remove the grill on a 2021? I’ve follow the instructions from Agile Offroad regarding the horn replacement but the bottom clips are the main issue when trying to remove the grill.

Scubalong

2020 144 4x4 Graphite Grey
Thanks Scrubalong! I thought as much but did not want to chance breaking it. Has anyone tried to remove the grill on a 2021? I’ve follow the instructions from Agile Offroad regarding the horn replacement but the bottom clips are the main issue when trying to remove the grill.
The taps on the bottom are a bitch :) Take me a while to pull them off. Did you get it all sort out? If you in South Cal I can give you a hand.

Mis1rab

Not yet, I’ll spend some time trying to get it off next week. I appreciate the offer to help, I’m in Colorado so that’s a bit away. :)

Finally found myself a black grill to replace the chrome one. How hard is the black grill to remove? Don’t want break something. It looks like the grill and then the surrounding painted trim are 2 separate pieces? There is also a front camera attached to the grill. Is this easily swapped over to new grill? Anyone find any videos or how to’s showing how to remove?

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Finally found myself a black grill to replace the chrome one. How hard is the black grill to remove? Don’t want break something. It looks like the grill and then the surrounding painted trim are 2 separate pieces? There is also a front camera attached to the grill. Is this easily swapped over to new grill? Anyone find any videos or how to’s showing how to remove?
It’s easy. Done it a few times. I’m pretty sure there may be youtube videos on that.
Where’d you find your new black grill?

Has anyone swapped grills with the front camera? Does it swap between grills? Trying to figure out if I’ll need extra hardware for the black grill.
F163D42D-BFB1-4621-94F7-23752A24801F.jpeg

Top Bottom