DISINFECTING GROCERIES

• Thread starter Deleted member 50714
  • Start date

borabora

It's pretty clear that Covid is not transmitted by surfaces or food. But other organisms are. You can't really disinfect everything but washing your hands frequently and thoroughly goes a long way. Anyone else notice that they didn't get colds or the flu during the peak of the pandemic? My granddaughter was snot-free for over a year which is very unusual.
On the flip-side I have read that dog owners tend to get sick less often. And even a clean dog owner's home will have measurable amounts of dog poop on basically all surfaces. Go figure.

... Anyone else notice that they didn't get colds or the flu during the peak of the pandemic? My granddaughter was snot-free for over a year which is very unusual.
People tend to remember masks and extra hand washing, but ignore that their social interaction was also reduced significantly. In the case of those that are the most fearful, social interaction was reduced to almost zero. Before the SARS CoV2 hit how many people even worried about going out shopping for anything, let alone groceries? For some shopping was used to pass time. Not anymore. Some of my previously shopaholic in-laws are still getting groceries delivered to their home. I go out and about as needed.

On the flip-side I have read that dog owners tend to get sick less often. And even a clean dog owner's home will have measurable amounts of dog poop on basically all surfaces. Go figure.
That would be us. We have a 120# Shepherd Lab mix super fur factory. He is extremely well house broken except that sometimes his pack mates just think about themselves and stay out drinking and carousing too long. Life with a dog. It's worth it to me.

vic

D

Deleted member 50714

If you cook the veggies, it destroys any virus. ("denatures" them)
For things like lettuce and cabbage, simply don't use the outermost leaves.

Plus get vaccinated.

--dick
My apologies Dick, my response was a bit harsh. I just may consider the vaccine after couple of years to see how things shake-out. If croak before then, nice knowing ya.

WinnieView1

My apologies Dick, my response was a bit harsh. I just may consider the vaccine after couple of years to see how things shake-out. If croak before then, nice knowing ya.
Why pay when it's free. And we know where you can get a free vaccination card.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
When COVID first hit, I put together a program for all kinds of sanitization at home, whenever anyone/anything came in from the outside. First issue - all the cleaning supplies were bought up/unavailable either on-line or in local stores once I exhausted what we had at home. Second issue - rapidly changing ideas about transmission fairly quickly indicated aerosol and not contact as transmission vector of concern. So after a couple of weeks we stopped doing any kind of extra sanitization.

Despite my daughter working all summer as a cashier at the grocery store (hence out of the house and in contact with lots of stuff), and us NOT doing any extra contact-based sanitization other than a required hand washing whenever anyone came in from outside of the house, no COVID erupted. Everyone got vaccinated once we could in the April/May timeframe. Daughter got tested for COVID at one point before vaccination due to certain symptoms - negative. Wife got tested at one point before vaccination due to certain symptoms - negative. Once everyone was vaccinated, stopped worrying about everything other than close-quarters indoors breathing with more than a few strangers present. At this point, with high local vaccination rates, I'm not really even worrying about that. I observe requested masking whether privately requested or required by government, and otherwise we are back to a normal lifestyle. In fact, I'm late meeting my wife and son for pizza downtown - so ciao!

D

Deleted member 50714

I thought you were (quite reasonably) reacting to the idea of cooking all of your veggies.

(I was raised in Boston ... over-cooked veggies were the standard ... frequently from a pressure cooker)

--dick
I prefer steamed veggies. 6 minutes for broccoli, 12 minutes for Brussel sprouts and 6 minutes for spinach.

D

Deleted member 50714

Really, what the hell is wrong with brussel sprouts drizzled with garlic butter?

You guys should consider expanding you culinary horizons.

Matt Foley

Down by The River
Brussel sprouts are super good, especially if you julienne them. Any cruciferous veggie has a skunky quality to them that if you increase the surface area greatly (riced cauliflower, shredded cabbage for example) the taste and smell becomes much more appetizing. This recipe makes a great roasted, nutty, crunchy, slaw type of dish:

- Cut Brussels: Bottom off and discarded, then in half, then into 1/8" ribbons.
- Heat pan to hot
- Olive oil and butter melted in the pan, immediately add sprouts
- Salt, pepper
- Cover with lid for 60-90 seconds
- Toss/stir for 60-90 seconds, until you see a few brown/crispy sprout shreds
- Remove from heat, add garlic, stir/toss
- Squirt lemon juice into the pan, stir
- Serve

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Brussel sprouts are super good, especially if you julienne them. Any cruciferous veggie has a skunky quality to them that if you increase the surface area greatly (riced cauliflower, shredded cabbage for example) the taste and smell becomes much more appetizing. This recipe makes a great roasted, nutty, crunchy, slaw type of dish:

- Cut Brussels: Bottom off and discarded, then in half, then into 1/8" ribbons.
- Heat pan to hot
- Olive oil and butter melted in the pan, immediately add sprouts
- Salt, pepper
- Toss/stir for 60-90 seconds, until you see a few brown/crispy sprout shreds
- Remove from heat, add garlic, stir/toss
- Squirt lemon juice into the pan, stir
- Serve
I’ve tried brussel sprouts so many times. Always ohhh you have to try MY recipe here you go… same story every time. I haven’t given up on trying to like them but I would probably add “now leave them in the bowl for everyone else to eat“ to any brussel sprouts recipe.

Matt Foley

Down by The River
I’ve tried brussel sprouts so many times. Always ohhh you have to try MY recipe here you go… same story every time. I haven’t given up on trying to like them but I would probably add “now leave them in the bowl for everyone else to eat“ to any brussel sprouts recipe.
It's all good, I get it. I hate onions of all types and in any form. Not a shallot, not a chive - NO. There is nothing anyone could do to make me like them, and that is how I will go to the grave. I'm not one of these "you have to try it" people. This IS a recipe that when people taste it they're surprised that it is Brussel sprouts tho.

The thing I like about this recipe is that it eliminates pretty much any skunkiness and the lemon at the very end makes it really bright tasting behind the roasted nuttiness. And it's super quick. All of the prep time is in the cutting. Cooks in 2 minutes.

Top Bottom