E-Trek Solar Controllers - Charging or not?

Fcrote

Hello out there. I have a 2015 e-trek with two Solar controllers ( mg-cc-mp3-720-dc1 ). I am concerned that the solar system is not charging.

I have solar panels all over the top but the panels cannot keep even one of the lithium battery packs charged

The controllers appear to be OFF with no led lights on at all.

Both of the LCD screen seems to be ON displaying ‘18’ I put a multimeter one of them and both sides have load.

I am concerned that since the lights are not ON that the controllers have failed.

I downloaded the MG controller manual and it said when there are no LED lights that it has a failure.

Could both of the solar controllers have gone bad at the same time? They are mounted in upper cabinets and my unit stays outside in Texas, could the heat have gotten them?

any troubleshooting tips? Anybody got any ideas?

The rest of the systems run fine, I get charge from shore and motor, but I dont think solar is working.

Thanks in advance for any troubleshooting or repair tips

Quote Reply

Fcrote

I wanted to share how this ended particularly since it was a HAPPY ENDING!. First, thanks for WinnieView1 for the reply.
As stated above I have a 2015 e-trek with the warp package (8 lithium batteries). It has lots of solar on the top and TWO stock solar controllers (mg-cc-mp3-720-dc1). Lights were OFF on both, both appeared inoperative. One of the controllers had no input at all, nothing happened regardless of action, the other responded to ON/OFF but no lights or status.

I ended up replacing the one in worst shape with:
EPEVER MPPT Solar Charge Controller 30A 12V/24V Auto Solar Panel Charge Controller DS2 + UCS Intelligent Modular-Designed Regulator for Sealed, AGM, Gel, Flooded and Lithium Battery (30A,Triron3210N)

I chose it because it has a screen with info on it which is much better than what comes stock, got it at Amazon.

After I hooked it up, it immediately started working! And then the other solar controller started working! Take that Murphey! (a reference to Murpheys law). I guess they were in tandem and the rear one failing caused the front one to fail also.

The only change I did in the new controller was change battery type to GEL.

As a final test I unplugged the E-Trek from shore power with fan and fridge running all day, came back and the nice little window on my new solar controller said 100%. WooP WooP!!!

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom