That's Nuts!

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Hard conclusion without checking the facts.
Just becouse the stud is longer, it is not creating safety issue.
Assuming the wheel is hub-centered, nothing wrong with flat washer.
I can only guess the longer bolts are not heat-treated, therefore having much smaller load carrying capacity, but again it is a guess.
Wheel studs have safety factor >3, so even at 1/2 strength, the bolts should hold.
Not that I would recommend it, but it sure is safer than the guy on this picture.

IMG_6658.JPG

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
My bet would be carriage bolt as this is rear wheel and toggle would mess parking brake.

tinman

Some years ago while driving at night on a rural two lane road in a blowing snow temporary whiteout ( might need to be a prairie kid to understand) there was a loud thump as I hit something. As soon at is was safe to pull over, I got out to look, fearing I'd see blood, flesh and hair as remnants of the pedestrian I'd killed. Cosiderable damage to the right front fender area, but no obvious indication of what I'd hit. When I backtracked to the point of impact ( few bits of plastic and headlight glass) I found the single track of a tire bouncing along in the snow in the ditch, with a damaged wheel and tire up against a tree ~1/4 mile away. It was a 13" wheel, 4 stud pattern, and there was clear evidence it had been working against loose bolts/nuts. Probably a dual axle utility trailer of some sort. I was pretty ticked off (pretty expensive repairs to my '85 Cutlass), and even posted an ad in the lost and found classifieds of the local paper, offering free return of the found object. Didn't work. The short point being that when these things cut loose they are one bounce away from coming through the windshield into the face of a driver or passenger. It happens too often, with fatal results. It's why retorquing bolt or nuts, especially on alloy wheels, is important, and overtorquing to near yield with an air wrench is a bad idea. Whoever took the picture would be doing the world a favour if they slashed the tire.

D

Deleted member 50714

Some years ago while driving at night on a rural two lane road in a blowing snow temporary whiteout ( might need to be a prairie kid to understand) there was a loud thump as I hit something. As soon at is was safe to pull over, I got out to look, fearing I'd see blood, flesh and hair as remnants of the pedestrian I'd killed. Cosiderable damage to the right front fender area, but no obvious indication of what I'd hit. When I backtracked to the point of impact ( few bits of plastic and headlight glass) I found the single track of a tire bouncing along in the snow in the ditch, with a damaged wheel and tire up against a tree ~1/4 mile away. It was a 13" wheel, 4 stud pattern, and there was clear evidence it had been working against loose bolts/nuts. Probably a dual axle utility trailer of some sort. I was pretty ticked off (pretty expensive repairs to my '85 Cutlass), and even posted an ad in the lost and found classifieds of the local paper, offering free return of the found object. Didn't work. The short point being that when these things cut loose they are one bounce away from coming through the windshield into the face of a driver or passenger. It happens too often, with fatal results. It's why retorquing bolt or nuts, especially on alloy wheels, is important, and overtorquing to near yield with an air wrench is a bad idea. Whoever took the picture would be doing the world a favour if they slashed the tire.
Similar experience while driving a 1967 Cheby pickup during morning rush hour on Interstate 5 near Burbank California, except no snow. Car in front swerved to miss a tire with rim. I had zero time to brake or swerve, the best I could do was center and hit it square. The truck bounced and shook but took it on the chin.

Some time during the 80’s, news reported on Interstate 5 a tire came off, bounced over the center divider colliding with a car traveling the opposite direction instantly killing the driver. Incredibly, the car continued traveling for another two miles before another motorist used his vehicle to corral the runaway vehicle. Talk about guts.

Here’s another incident.

Top Bottom