Front Eagle Simulator from 2006 Lost on "Maiden" Trip Home :(

2006navion

I found a 2006 Navion in pretty nice shape during my recent trip to St. Louis to visit family and bought it. It was MO inspected (after some mandated front-end repairs) and subsequently I had an alignment done before I took possession of it. On the second day of my trek back to Virginia I noticed the driver side front eagle simulator was missing :(. Most likely someone who worked on it didn't get it back on quite right. I contacted a seller on ebay who specializes in simulators (says he's been selling them for more than 20 years) and he said the 2006 and earlier (mine is actually a 2005 chassis) are hard to find and that starting in 2007 - although the same 16" diameter wheel, the rim where the simulator mounts is a different diameter. Does anyone have one of the older (2006-earlier) eagle simulators and/or know who I might contact to find one? I might look to swap over to aluminum wheels at the next tire replacement!

BTW, I am so happy and thankful to be part of the forum here. I am new to the Mercedes/Sprinter/Diesel setup but like it a lot thus far but have much to learn. The fuel mileage coming home was great - more than twice what my gas Class A Toy Hauler was getting!! The brakes do seem a little weak to me but otherwise a well-built, comfortable coach. Thanks again for any help you can offer me.

Randy

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Advice: Throw the simulators away, they’ll continue to come loose even when properly installed. Zip tie them on and they will take out the valve stems as they flail about on their way off.

And a forum hint: Your 2005 chassis is a T1N not NCV3. T1N is what you’ll refer to for chassis questions. For the coach part you’ll want to be in the Winnebago Itasca section. You‘re more likely to get information under those headings. The chrome wheel simulators were provided Winnebago.

Gary

2006navion

Advice: Throw the simulators away, they’ll continue to come loose even when properly installed. Zip tie them on and they will take out the valve stems as they flail about on their way off.

And a forum hint: Your 2005 chassis is a T1N not NCV3. T1N is what you’ll refer to for chassis questions. For the coach part you’ll want to be in the Winnebago Itasca section. You‘re more likely to get information under those headings. The chrome wheel simulators were provided Winnebago.

Gary
Thanks Gary for the tips and advice. Funny you should mention the valve stems - all four (now three) of the simulators are "outies", e.g. the rears are not concave and I can't get to ANY of the valve stems except the wheel where the simulator was lost - I am looking for a solution there as well. Thanks too for the clarification on the best categorization in the forum for my rig...

sailquik

Your 2006 (built on a 2005 cab/chassis) has dual rear wheels, right?
Stock OEM 18 hole wheels look pretty good.
Either buy a set of new ones or repaint your existing wheels.
NCV3 3500 RV take off wheels are available (they look like new) for ~$50 each.
Get a set (24) of the new captive washer lug nuts and you are all set!
Throw the other 3 simulators in the trash (or try to sell them to someone who thinks they look like
real aluminum alloy rims which they do not).
Now you can check air pressures easily with a truck dual wheel type gauge.
Problem solved!
Roger

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Yes, hubcaps, but since they’re supposed to look like upscale wheels they are referred to as simulators. And in regard to taking the valve stems along as they fly off, here‘s the story on that. On the rear dual wheels one must remove the simulators to check the tire pressure and that’s a damn nuisance for sure. So common practice is to install tire fill valve extenders. When the simulator leaves its goodbye extenders and valve stems and instant flat tire(s).

Gary

2006navion

Great comments guys.. I am getting closer to giving up on simulators and making getting to the valve stems MUCH easier. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I like the idea of the captive washer lug nuts. Anybody done anything with a center cap of any kind? Thanks Gary, Simon and Roger!

Randy

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
How do your simulators secure to the wheel?

I ran some on my old dark green T1N / 903 416 to the left. Held by screwing on thread extenders to two of the studs, then the trim / simulator went on, then two “jam nuts” to hold the trim in place. I never lost one in ten years and a lot of miles.

A pair of plastic rigid extenders worked fine on the inner rears (and would not have caused an issue if a wheel trim had come off).

GaryJ

Here since 2006
The simulators used on the Winnebago dual rear wheel chassis grip the steel wheel like a standard hubcap, with friction fit clips against the wheel. I think the problem lies with the shallow depth of the area to clip to on the T1N front wheels, which the simulators are designed to fit. The rear dual wheels have much more grip area but use the same simulators. At one time I was able to find 1-1/4” chrome “trim” or “beauty rings” that fit the silver painted rims, but they no longer seem to be available.

Gary

2006navion

Great comments -- thanks again Simon and Gary.. Thanks Gary for clearing up the point that both the front and rear simulators ARE the same on my vintage Navion. Maybe I'm too old school but I am hesitant to leave the front wheel bearing cap exposed on the front. If I could find a center cap that bolts on via the lug nuts (and cleaned up my wheels some) - that might do it for me, at least for now or until I find an set of aluminum wheels for it...thanks again.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Another variation: I actually retrofitted the T1N / 903 factory black plastic front wheel trim back on to the aftermarket chrome trim, as I thought the fake wheel nut covers stuck out too much and looked a bit “Ben Hur”. I’m not usually an advocate for aftermarket add ons but in this case I thought it worked ok, particularly against a dark body colour. I would have put Alcoas on it but they weren’t available in the UK back in 2009.

There was a careless crunching of a front trim against a tall curb once. It required replacement but even that moment didn’t cause the trim to come off, the mechanical fixing method kept it tight in place.

46ECE227-7947-4119-91E2-39EAB32A3DAB.jpeg6AF65F70-E15D-4E04-9FB9-7EC103F0AB1F.jpeg

Last edited:

2006navion

Looks great on your rig Simon!! BTW, I took the three remaining simulators off yesterday to check air pressure and ended up cleaning the painted steel wheels - just used dawn dish soap (blue) and one of the green kitchen pads and they came out very nice sans the scratches from where the simulators have been mounted and a bit of rust around the lug holes on the rear rims. I think I may just wax them and keep an eye out for something that will cover the front bearing caps and maybe rear hub. Maybe something like Keith above suggested. Thanks again everyone for all the suggestions.

Top Bottom