Power Steering Pump noisey

kartmad

Has anyone has a power steering power pump that emits a squeal/squeek at idle? I can spray some lube at the front (where I assume there would be a bearing) and the squeal disappears for a while, then will comes back. The squeek seems to disappear at revs above idle.

Has anyone replaced the front bearing in the pump, if that is possible? I note the manual says the pump is a complete assembly, but assume the means MB just sells it like that, not that it cannot be dismantled to replace the front bearing.

Note this is not an idler pulley problem as the idler pulley, a/c compressor, and belt are all new.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Has anyone has a power steering power pump that emits a squeal/squeek at idle? I can spray some lube at the front (where I assume there would be a bearing) and the squeal disappears for a while, then will comes back. The squeek seems to disappear at revs above idle.

Has anyone replaced the front bearing in the pump, if that is possible? I note the manual says the pump is a complete assembly, but assume the means MB just sells it like that, not that it cannot be dismantled to replace the front bearing.

Note this is not an idler pulley problem as the idler pulley, a/c compressor, and belt are all new.
I hear mine chirp when the wheel is turned all the way, either right or left, but not when in the middle...

TechAlt

Mine did this and the pump started leaking onto the A/C compressor which took out the compressor clutch. Mechanic also found my Rack & Pinon assembly needs replaced. $$$ If I had gone to him sooner I might have saved my compressor. Don't wait get it looked at.

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Mine did this and the pump started leaking onto the A/C compressor which took out the compressor clutch. Mechanic also found my Rack & Pinon assembly needs replaced. $$$ If I had gone to him sooner I might have saved my compressor. Don't wait get it looked at.

When would you hear the noise from yours as the early indicator?

Thanks

flman

Not to hijack, but here I am doing it :shifty:

What is the fluid change interval on the PS fluid?

TechAlt

I would hear the noise at low rpm while stopped or driving slowly. On the interstate at speed I couldn't hear it. I also did not notice any problems with steering.

Top Bottom