Michelin Agilis Crossclimate tread life

tobi

The Michelin Crossclimate have now been out for several years. I am trying to get some real world experience about tread life.
Please report how many miles/km you have on the Michelin agilis Crossclimate or how many miles/km you got out of a set; as well as year of your vehicle, and type of Sprinter (eg. Class C motorhome, 2500 van etc.)

I am lookgin for this information as I need new tires, the BF Goodrich tires the 2008 Winnebago View came with (I purchased the vehicle used, and prior owner put these on it) are worn out.

I was considering the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate, however am concerned with tread life of these tires. The michelin tires meet the standards for snow tires, mountain with snow leaf in it. I have previously used "all season" tires that also came with snow leaf in mountain on other vehicles, and had very poor tire tread life. My past experience indicates that "all season" tires that meet winter standards just wear very quick, likely due to softer tire compound. I have also seen some negative review for tread life of the Michelin Agilis Crossclimate.

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
We are in a motorhome, will probably time out before tread out... 20K miles in 3 years and look new, Defender LTX M/S. Got them for 1/2 price due to sidewall cracking on the tires that were on it for 5 years since mfg date, Michelin warranty is 6 years...

Once you figure this out let us know about which oil is best ! ;) :ROFLMAO: :oops:

tobi

We are in a motorhome, will probably time out before tread out... 20K miles in 3 years and look new, Defender LTX M/S. Got them for 1/2 price due to sidewall cracking on the tires that were on it for 5 years since mfg date, Michelin warranty is 6 years...

Once you figure this out let us know about which oil is best ! ;) :ROFLMAO: :oops:
The Defender LTX is not available in the 215/85r16 size I need. The Defender has a mileage warranty of about 70,000 miles I believe. The Agilis Crossclimate has no wear out warranty. . Since 99% of my driving will not see snow, I am more concerned with tire tread life then getting traction in snow (I do want got wet pavement traction and handling). If the Crossclimate lasts as long as the defender, it would be a great choice.

glasseye

I've been running "all seasons" LTX Michelins for nearly 170K miles. If you're looking for max tread life, these aren't the tires for you.
I continue to buy them for security and handling in "all seasons", for which I've never been disappointed.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I just bought a set of Agilis CrossClimate tires for my 2500 170" van at Costco to replace the original Kumhos at about 38k miles. $800 tires-only out the door (after a $150 rebate) from Costco, then mounted/balanced/installed for $50 (after a $150 service discount) at a local Mercedes dealer, along with a $180 alignment to correct a mild camber/toe problem.

I don't see snow often enough to get dedicated snows, but do see it often enough (and when going over restricted mountain passes) that I need the snow rating. No tread life warranty (i.e., the lack of the tread life warranty) is a risk, but as long as I get 40k miles or so out of them I'll be happy. I only have about 1,000 miles on them, so no help to you with respect to ultimate tread life.

Last edited:

Flagster

I've been running "all seasons" LTX Michelins for nearly 170K miles. If you're looking for max tread life, these aren't the tires for you.
I continue to buy them for security and handling in "all seasons", for which I've never been disappointed.
I have been running the LTX at2 Michelins on our 2015 4x4...
Highly recommended in snow and slushy mud with more in depth reviews in other posts... I saw 80,000 miles + on the first set...replaced in 2020 with the same (245 75 r 17s) and still very happy

Last edited:

tobi

Unfortunately the Michelin LTX AT2 tires do not seem to be available in the 215/85R16 size. I just was on the michelin website and found the Michelin X LT A/S tire with 115,000 km warranty. Might see if I can locate some of these Michelin X LT A/S as they may be a better option then Michelin Agilis Crossclimate for tread life. I do not know if the Michelin X LT A/S is a new tire as having troubles finding it.

tobi

Correction, in the Michelin X 215/85R16 which is speed rated R, the tread wear warranty is only 80,000km .

williaaz

2016 Coachman Prism 24G
I did a lot of research along the same lines back in March. I fully intended to still go with the Michelin CrossClimate even though there were few reviews and a lot concurning the tread ware. I used a local tire shop that deals specifically with oversized trucks and motor homes for the service. The sales representative talked me out of the CrossClimate due to the negative feedback he was receiving. I went with his recommendation and purchased the Firestone Transforce HT2 tires which was considerably cheaper (about $600) than the Michelin's. I have driven on them for about 5500 mile and the ride is great and the road noise is very quiet. So far I have been very pleased, but I cannot speak for the tread ware life of them yet. Good luck with you tire search.

eralimited57

2008 Sprinter 2500 170 Extended High Top 3.0L CRD
My Michelin Agilis LTX's produced steering wheel oscillations on smooth roads after first trip out.

Took them back to DT and put them on the balance machine. Tech told me they were so out of round (not spinning true) that HE wanted to replace all 4 with the same tire.

Orders new set. Mounts one tire and it is so out of round that he says he is not going to mount them.

He asks me to pick out new tires. Even thou here in Texas I go with the CrossClimates. Mounts two of them and they spin true. The other two are en route from another DT store.

I would avoid the Michelin Agilis LTX - there is something goin on with those tires and Michelin. They seem to have a quality control issue with them.

VanGoSki

My Michelin Agilis LTX's produced steering wheel oscillations on smooth roads after first trip out.

Took them back to DT and put them on the balance machine. Tech told me they were so out of round (not spinning true) that HE wanted to replace all 4 with the same tire.

Orders new set. Mounts one tire and it is so out of round that he says he is not going to mount them.

He asks me to pick out new tires. Even thou here in Texas I go with the CrossClimates. Mounts two of them and they spin true. The other two are en route from another DT store.

I would avoid the Michelin Agilis LTX - there is something goin on with those tires and Michelin. They seem to have a quality control issue with them.
Perhaps your dealer's supplier had a bad batch. But there's certainly no widespread issue with Agilis LTX on Sprinters. It's one of the stock tires Mercedes puts on these vans.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.

[...]

I put them on my van last fall, and haven't had any problems at all with my set. I bought them at Costco, had them mounted/balanced/installed at an MB workshop.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I put them on my van last fall, and haven't had any problems at all with my set. I bought them at Costco, had them mounted/balanced/installed at an MB workshop.
I had a set of six installed by a Freightliner shop on my van in September 2019. Now 30,000 miles later they are running smooth and wearing evenly.

tom2turbo

In August Costco installed 4 new Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tires. A local alignment shop corrected Camber and Toe issues on the 06 T1N 140. I am very pleased with these tire’s performance during late January 4,500 mile road trip including fresh snow in Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and Nebraska. I appreciate not chaining up for multiple climbs on I-84 and I-80. Comfort was very good as was cross wind handling out and return legs. I highly recommend the Michelin Agilis Cross Clinate

Last edited:

eralimited57

In August Costco installed 4 new Michelin Agilis Cross Climate tires. A local alignment shop corrected Camber and Toe issues on the 06 T1N 140. I am very pleased with these tire’s performance during late January 4,500 mile road trip including fresh snow in Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and Nebraska. I appreciate not chaining up for multiple climbs on I-84 and I-80. Comfort was very good as was cross wind handling out and return legs. I highly recommend the Michelin Agilis Cross Clinate
How is the noise level on the highway?

GSWatson

2013 144
I have a pretty loaded 144 cargo, and I bought a set of Defender LTX’s at Costco to replace the Kumho’s that had chunks falling out at 30k miles. I now have 118 on the van, and they’re due for replacement. I know the Agilis isn’t the same tire, but I’ve been damned impressed with Michelin over the last 90k miles - at least 1/2 in twisty winding hilly roads.

eralimited57

I have a pretty loaded 144 cargo, and I bought a set of Defender LTX’s at Costco to replace the Kumho’s that had chunks falling out at 30k miles. I now have 118 on the van, and they’re due for replacement. I know the Agilis isn’t the same tire, but I’ve been damned impressed with Michelin over the last 90k miles - at least 1/2 in twisty winding hilly roads.
If you go to the tirerack.com website and look up the Agilis Cross climate tire you will see that it was rated very high for tread life not to mention ride comfort etc. It's nice to have a Michelin tire is is quiet has long tread life great wet and dry traction and works on on and off road and snow basically an all around tire with such high ratings with the Michelin name on it.

pbansen

There seem to be a lot of Agilis 'take off' sets available as folks buy a new van and then remove and sell the stock rims and tires in favor of more visually appealing wheels and tires. The wheels on my '08 NCV3 were looking a little haggard and the tires were 6 or 7 years old, so I bought a set of takeoffs from a 2021 Sprinter for $600 that had a couple thousand miles on them. I did have to change out the TPMS senders, but the whole package (including buying new TPMS senders installed by my local Costco) cost less than a new set of tires before mounting and balancing - the new set of wheels was free.

The Michelin Agilis LTXs are a lot smoother and quieter than the Toyo Open Country tires that they replaced and I liked the Toyos a lot - they were excellent in snow and still have tens of thousands of life in them.

Keep in mind that any of the "severe snow service" rated tires are going to sacrifice tread life for grip in cold weather because they achieve that grip through use of a softer compound than a typical all season tire.

marklg

There seem to be a lot of Agilis 'take off' sets available as folks buy a new van and then remove and sell the stock rims and tires in favor of more visually appealing wheels and tires. The wheels on my '08 NCV3 were looking a little haggard and the tires were 6 or 7 years old, so I bought a set of takeoffs from a 2021 Sprinter for $600 that had a couple thousand miles on them. I did have to change out the TPMS senders, but the whole package (including buying new TPMS senders installed by my local Costco) cost less than a new set of tires before mounting and balancing - the new set of wheels was free.

The Michelin Agilis LTXs are a lot smoother and quieter than the Toyo Open Country tires that they replaced and I liked the Toyos a lot - they were excellent in snow and still have tens of thousands of life in them.

Keep in mind that any of the "severe snow service" rated tires are going to sacrifice tread life for grip in cold weather because they achieve that grip through use of a softer compound than a typical all season tire.
The Agilis LTX and Agilis Crossclimate are different tires. I had LTX MS2s and the Crossclimates are better in every way, handling, noise, etc.

Regards,

Mark

Top Bottom