Brake controller install

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
Above is the view under my driver's seat. The Trailer brake plug is tucked in, in the top right of the picture. The picture orientation is: The top of the picture is facing the rear of the van. The left of the picture is facing the passenger seat. Notice the 12v cigarette lighter outlet in the bottom left of the picture.

Last edited:

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
Now starting from upper left to lower left I lifted up all of the electronic components to gain access to the under side floor wire loom, and the wire tunnel that exits the left side of the picture at the base of the pedestal (you can't see in the picture because it is under all the electronic components). I did not unscrew any wiring from the components, I just moved the components themselves to gain access to the tunnel.

Last edited:

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
take lots of pics to see how to put everything back. This part was actually not as daunting as it seems. Just take your time.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
You will now remove the foam rubber floor from the area in front of and between the seats. This will give you access to the primary battery compartment as well as the wiring tunnel. Remove the battery access cover, and if you have a rear heat duct, pull up the hard foam pieces between the two front seats. You now are able to run your brake controller cable to and up under the dash into the area of the primary battery disconnect. I Used a section of split loom conduit to encase the cables as they pass through the tunnel and battery compartment and up under the dash. Now mount your brake controller in a convenient area based on your van layout. I don't tow every day and just hook my controller up when needed. I leave the controller wire in the battery disconnect panel and pull it out the top when needed. You can see it in my top picture with the battery disconnect access panel.

Last edited:

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
White plastic to the right is the end of the tunnel. You will need to fish through here. To the left the wires run up into the dash.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
In the above picture you can see my brake controller wire terminating under the brake pedal. The other wiring is for the light and backup alarm switches.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
The above picture is a view from the passenger seat, looking down at the white plastic tunnel and the base of the driver's seat pedestal.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
Above picture, I had removed the drivers side step area while researching wiring route possibilities. Those 4 wire bundles exiting the seat pedestal are factory and enter the pillar just behind the driver's seat.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
That's about it. Just remember to leave the negative terminals unplugged until all wiring is finished. Then say a little prayer. Then attach negative terminals.

Pharkas

2020 Passenger 4x4 144
For anyone interested, the above is the picture of the rubber boot of the wire loom exiting beneath the drivers seat pedestal. The top of the picture is toward the front of the van.

fireball05

Newly arrived 2021 144HR 4x4 passenger
Awesome photos and info, thank you very much!!!

I need to order those female torx sockets. Great info.

Thanks again for taking the time to post all the info and pics. I’ll be tackling this tomorrow morning with the redarc tow pro elite and will take pics and add any additional info to make this a nice how to guide for others in the future!

Top Bottom