Espar Heater Exhaust Install

gessay

I have a Sprinter van and have watched quite a few videos about installing the Espar heater under the passenger seat. I currently don't have it hooked up yet but the heater, exhaust, intake and fuel line are in. I had some questions about the wiring, so I looked up the manual online, since mine came with nothing. I started scanning the manual and came across this; it states 'If a silencer is fitted, the exhaust end pipe must be much shorter than the flexible exhaust pipe between the heater and the exhaust silencer.' I had installed mine already, the pipe from the heater to the muffler is about 15" and the exhaust end pipe is around 22". This goes against what the manual says but I've seen some photos where someone has an end pipe that looks up to 5 feet long. Has anyone installed their exhaust similar to this, used it for some time and not had any problems? I guess there could be some back pressure, but I'm not sure I need to reinstall it. One other thing is that you're supposed to install the muffler in the direction of the arrow on it's side. The muffler that came in my kit looks identical on both sides. There is no arrow, or anything in the instructions about which way it's supposed to be hooked up. Has the muffler been improved to where it doesn't matter which way it's hooked up?

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
I have a Sprinter van and have watched quite a few videos about installing the Espar heater under the passenger seat. I currently don't have it hooked up yet but the heater, exhaust, intake and fuel line are in. I had some questions about the wiring, so I looked up the manual online, since mine came with nothing. I started scanning the manual and came across this; it states 'If a silencer is fitted, the exhaust end pipe must be much shorter than the flexible exhaust pipe between the heater and the exhaust silencer.' I had installed mine already, the pipe from the heater to the muffler is about 15" and the exhaust end pipe is around 22". This goes against what the manual says but I've seen some photos where someone has an end pipe that looks up to 5 feet long. Has anyone installed their exhaust similar to this, used it for some time and not had any problems? I guess there could be some back pressure, but I'm not sure I need to reinstall it. One other thing is that you're supposed to install the muffler in the direction of the arrow on it's side. The muffler that came in my kit looks identical on both sides. There is no arrow, or anything in the instructions about which way it's supposed to be hooked up. Has the muffler been improved to where it doesn't matter which way it's hooked up?
Who supplied you with the kit?

Oldfartt

Since your muffler is most likely a straight through unit, there should be no problem where ever you put it . If it is a muffler with offset ports then I could agree with the instructions you have . My setup has the muffler extended from one side of the van to the other with the muffler closest to the heater with no problems running.
Cheers
Ross

VanGoSki

I went with Espar's recommendation and kept the exhaust tip length short. The thing about these heaters is that they will probably appear to run just fine even if things aren't installed perfectly, but might gum up faster requiring more frequent service. Total conjecture here, but I sleep better knowing I followed the manufacturers instructions to a T. That also applies to keeping a constant downward slope on the pipe for drainage. I don't recall having a direction arrow on mine either.

rollerbearing

The mufflers are leaky. Having a long pipe run after the muffler probably increases the back pressure inside the muffler and the leakage. Also, the muffler will accumulate water condensate - one of the leaks is probably a deliberate drain hole and should be installed downward. Disregard all I have said if you have a tubular marine type muffler.

Top Bottom