CAN connection location?

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Hi,
If you have LED headlights, they have at least one line.

The PSM prep harness may have both... see

Last edited:

jmole

Hey y'all! I recently purchased a CANM8 CANNECT module (https://www.canm8.com/can-bus-interfaces/lighting-control-interfaces/canm8-highbeam-7.html) assuming that it was plug and play but, the instructions are a little bit vague.

I was hoping that you guys might know where the CAN HI and CAN LO connectors are located?

Thanks in advance!
Mercedes prohibits upfitters from tapping into the CAN bus, so you may not find much help there. What signals are you looking to grab?

Last edited by a moderator:

tripod0502

Mercedes prohibits upfitters from tapping into the CAN bus, so you may not find much help there. What signals are you looking to grab?
Thanks for jumping in! Just looking for CAN HI and CAN LO for the lights. The module manufacture says to splice the CAN Bus wires under the dash...makes me nervous.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
If I recall correctly, MB vans have several (three?) CAN networks. You'll need to make sure you connect into the correct CAN network for the signals that your add-on device is expecting to see.

I'm fairly certain that there are some tie-in points that don't require you to actually "splice" into a wire. Here is an older discussion on the forum about the Sprinter CAN buses: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/46335/

tripod0502

Did you ever get this working?
In the instructions, the company recommends attaching the module to the CAN wires without specifically stating that you need to splice them. Of course, being concerned with warranty issues and whatnot, I reached out to them and they told me about their new CAN wire reader...

... All I had to do is pinch it around the CAN wire bundle and it automatically read the codes without splicing. I would highly recommend both the module and the reader if you are looking to make a similar type of mod.

SpiritedOak

2021 4x4 170HR
In the instructions, the company recommends attaching the module to the CAN wires without specifically stating that you need to splice them. Of course, being concerned with warranty issues and whatnot, I reached out to them and they told me about their new CAN wire reader...

... All I had to do is pinch it around the CAN wire bundle and it automatically read the codes without splicing. I would highly recommend both the module and the reader if you are looking to make a similar type of mod.
Sweet thanks. I was wondering if the contactless reader was worth it. Where did you find was the best place to attach to the wire bundle?

tomasd

I was able to connect it to the CAN wires in the driver's side foot well. I will post pictures as soon as I get back home...I'm away on biz travel atm.
Did you ever post. I have the contact less reader I need to connect and I can't iD the wires.

SpiritedOak

2021 4x4 170HR
Did you ever post. I have the contact less reader I need to connect and I can't iD the wires.
I ended up finding the wires for the contactless reader in the passenger footwell (LHD model). The were in a bundle running behind the outside panels to the fuse block under the toolkit. The CanM8 came with instructions for finding the right couple wires. I wish I had pics from the install but it was a good while back.

*I found the instructions and on mine it was CanHi= Brown/Red and CanLo was solid brown. I used the 3R model because I wanted High beam and reverse signals.

Works great, let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you out.

tripod0502

Thanks a SpiritedOak...you beat me to it!

In the CANM8 instructions, it mentions the driver side footwell...but, considering they are a company in the UK, it is on the passenger side in American vehicles.

Here are a few pictures...
PXL_20230103_191912826.jpg

PXL_20230103_191910535~2.jpgPXL_20230103_192356407.jpgPXL_20230103_191912826.jpgPXL_20230103_191910535~2.jpgPXL_20230103_192356407.jpgPXL_20230103_191912826.jpgPXL_20230103_191910535~2.jpgPXL_20230103_192356407.jpgPXL_20230103_191912826.jpgPXL_20230103_191910535~2.jpg

PXL_20230103_192356407.jpg

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Anyone know the part numbers to add more of those brown or green plugs, for a new alarm install?
Thanks!

Top Bottom