Auxiliary Solar Panel Connection 2017 View 24G

CliffWL

I have added a solar panel with a 50 foot lead in addition to the factory one on the roof. I plug it into the two prong DC connector behind the shore power plug in. Can anyone confirm that this input power runs through the Zamp Solar charge controller Model ZS-30A? Another Question: I have noticed the charge controller running a over 15 volts once or twice. I checked at the battery and that was the voltage going in also. Shouldn't the controller be limiting the voltage to 14.6-8? I have AGM batteries about 18 months old in it now, but am thinking about lithium, will the controller work with Lithium or will the built in BMS system suffice?

Last edited:

Winterbagoal

2018 Winnebago Navion 24V on a 2017 Cab Chassis
"I have added a solar panel with a 50 lead in addition to the factory one on the roof. " What does "a 50 lead" mean?
Also, there should be 2 X 100W panels on the roof. Can you confirm? EDIT: I see you changed the model year in the subject to 2017. It may only have one panel. My 2018 has 2 from the factory and I added a 3rd.
I don't use the auxilliary solar panel input port in the electrical bay, so I'll assume you've plugged it into the correct port. The panel must be less than 60W, and there was a recall for an improper fuse/breaker on that port for some View/Navion units. You might want to run your VIN by Winnebago, and see if your unit was fixed.
Yes, all 3 of the roof top combiner ports, and the aux port in the lower compartment, all go through the ZS-30A charge controller. Max total input wattage from all panels is limited to 510W.

CliffWL

yes it is a 2017 it has one panel on the roof. The panel I added is 100W so I need to check with Winnebago to see if that is ok. The 50 should be 50 feet. Thanks for your reply

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
Adding additional panels to an existing system can be a bit complicated - Best is if you bought an identical panel to the one already on your roof. If not, there's lots to learn. You may find some helpful hints here: https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/

An 'easy' solution would be to buy another solar controller and keep the panels separate. A low power controller for a 100 watt panel is pretty cheap and then it wouldn't matter at all how dissimilar your two panels are

Don

CliffWL

Adding additional panels to an existing system can be a bit complicated - Best is if you bought an identical panel to the one already on your roof. If not, there's lots to learn. You may find some helpful hints here: https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/

An 'easy' solution would be to buy another solar controller and keep the panels separate. A low power controller for a 100 watt panel is pretty cheap and then it wouldn't matter at all how dissimilar your two panels are

Don
I have talked to Zamp about the controller and the added panel. They confirmed it all runs through the controller. I contacted them on line and got a phone call the next day. They sent me info on doing a reset on the controller since I had seen higher than normal voltage. They also said if there was a problem with it they would replace it. Really great customer service

dobsonion

Winnebago View 2018 24J
Both of the flat & flexible Zamp 100W panels on my 2018 failed within two years. I suggest you unplug and carefully check the amps coming out on yours. One of mine read 0 and the other just above 0. But Zamp was fantastic and sent me a pair of replacement (rigid) 100W panels. I also upgraded the combiner box to one with a safety breaker inside.

CliffWL

Thanks, The panel I added is a Grape. I have checked the amps from the factory roof mounted panel as well as the added Grape panel that I move around to keep in the sun. They seem to be working so far I am now planning on switching to lithium batteries, hoping that I can get a little more power for running the heater on the cold mornings before the sun comes up

Top Bottom