Off to Alaska

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Yakutat gets loads of snow every year but also Winter rains, I have no idea why the roofs in the pic have such a minimal pitch but I’m guessing the Guy shovelling does too !! ??

tinman

Why a nearly flat roof in deep snow country though? Unless its a normally dry region?
Looks like it might have drifted, got deep on the lee side. In some of those coastal high snow regions leaving a building one winter without heat means crushed to matchwood. Steel roofs that even with a good pitch rely on interior heat transfer to shed the snow.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
Ahhhh... news to me, a roof that gets warm is not what I want.. I want a cold roof, no icicles or ice dams (that's a sign of poor insulation and/or VB) I've never heard of anybody here in Alaska that heats their roof to shed snow, the closest "roof heating" would be heat tape along the eaves to thaw/prevent ice build ups... imagine the ice build up on the ground along buildings if they cleared their roofs like that...
the snow seems pretty level so I don't think it was windy... I believe it's the Glacier Bear Lodge and it's shut down during the Winter so I doubt it's heated... the main and out buildings are probably winterized and just a Caretaker in a small cabin there like most fishing lodges in Ak are in the offseason.... you can see the high pitch roof shed snow and he's stuck shovelling the flatter roofed buildings...
steel roofs are nice because they are slick and allow snow to slide off easier...

Last edited:

glasseye

That is an impressive wack of snow. I pity that guy even more than I pitied myself two days ago.

This year, BC has seen record cold, record heat, record drought and record precipitation.

tinman

Ahhhh... news to me, a roof that gets warm is not what I want.. I want a cold roof, no icicles or ice dams (that's a sign of poor insulation and/or VB) I've never heard of anybody here in Alaska that heats their roof to shed snow, the closest "roof heating" would be heat tape along the eaves to thaw/prevent ice build ups... imagine the ice build up on the ground along buildings if they cleared their roofs like that...
the snow seems pretty level so I don't think it was windy... I believe it's the Glacier Bear Lodge and it's shut down during the Winter so I doubt it's heated... the main and out buildings are probably winterized and just a Caretaker in a small cabin there like most fishing lodges in Ak are in the offseason.... you can see the high pitch roof shed snow and he's stuck shovelling the flatter roofed buildings...
steel roofs are nice because they are slick and allow snow to slide off easier...
Might be old "technology". I first ran into it in a mining camp early '70's. The temperatures were not normally extreme, but the snowfall was, as in 100' + some years. As I recall, the corregated steel roof pitch was a normal 1/3, and the escaping heat from the buildings was enough for the snow to slump off (and occasionally curl under and soak through the walls). When the place shut down for a couple of years, the snow took out the steeply sloped steel roof on the mill. Buildings at other abandoned camps in the area were flattened. The logistics of operating in that environment were, dare I say, challenging.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
100 feet or inches ??
I’ve been in Ak since 1/73 when the Army stationed me here and none of the buildings I’ve ever been in have used interior heat to shed snow from the roof… even the metal Quonset Huts the Military used here during WWII were insulated…
Kennicott Mine is standing after over 100 snowy Winters in McCarthy and it’s been unheated for decades…
where were you ? it sounds like the mining buildings there were built to “make do” vs last…

3A320E20-DC0C-4E65-B6F4-0C03E6FDDC67.jpeg

Last edited:

AK_Sprinter

They’ve now had their day in court.

“The Engelmans each received a sentence of one week in prison, a $3,000 fine and a year of probation. Thomas was sentenced to 10 days in prison, a $3,000 fine and a year of probation. The $9,000 in fines are to be paid to the nonprofit Katmai Conservancy for use by the park to fund law enforcement and other purposes.

All three men are banned from entering any national park for a year.”

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
should have been $9K EACH… and more time in jail… it’s only 7 and 10 days but it’s Federal so there is no “good time” for this short of a sentence (only applies for 366+ day but less than life sentences)

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
They all plead guilty to misdemeanor charges. Encouraging plea deals with reduced sentences is necessary to keep the courts from being overwhelmed anyways. Admitting guilt is also looked on positively by most prosecutors. We have enough folks serving ridiculous prison sentences, but a larger fine would be alright by me. Don't forget they likely have attorney fees which probably are the same as, or greater than the fines, not to mention disruption of their lives to attend court, etc.

I didn't read the case in detail, but assuming they weren't repeat offenders, I don't see any reason for extended prison time, reserve that for the repeat/violent offenders.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
this was in THE premier Bear viewing spot in the Park… signs EVERYWHERE as well as being seen online by many thru the streaming camera there because August is a prime feeding time at Brooks…
I didn’t consider a plea deal as “positive” it just made my prosecution a bit easier.. if the perp makes a positive allocution after sentencing apologizing to the Victim(s) then I considered it “positive” and even then I crossed my fingers that there wouldn’t be probation violations once the doom of Court has faded…
there are some serving too much time for doing very little and vice versa.. sadly, shit for brains types are terrible learners so I think fuck it, give them a penalty so harsh they cringe thinking about it…
how do you know if there wasn’t a Federal Public Defender appointed for any of them ? King Salmon is a commercial fishing town and they may not have been fishing nor owned the boat.. seasonal Crew… none of that has been mentioned so I am only thinking out loud along those lines of them being in the fishing industry but I have been to Brooks Falls many times and it is well posted…

VanGoSki

At least they got something. Not like those clowns that toppled hoodoos in Goblin Valley that got probation and tiny fines to reimburse the investigation fees. No restitution on thousands of years old rock formation they destroyed. Evidently since you can't put a price on ancient artifacts, they're apparently worthless. :mad:

I was going to also cite those assholes from Canada who went on a vandalism rampage at several national parks several years ago. They filmed themselves doing stupid stunts in Yellowstone and Bonneville, Machu Piccu, and a bunch of other places and posted them on social media. High On Life SundayFundayz, they called themselves. They got a minor slap on the wrist from NPS which really annoyed me.

But I did just discover while writing this that Karma apparently caught up with them. Two of the three of them died shortly thereafter doing more stupid stunts back in Canada. Karma, like I say. Sadly though they took a young lady with them. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ger-three-killed-waterfall-plunge-Canada.html

Last edited:

Top Bottom