When can I order a 2022?

2021_3500_LowRoof

The building/shipping is more messed up than anyone realizes, here is the saga of the two sprinters I ordered.

Van 1 had its build date moved up by a month(to July from Aug) but was missing parts (Hermes) and got held at VPC.

Van 2 was built in July as planned and delivered end of Aug, picked up first week of Sept.

I spoke to dealer about Van 1 a week ago and it was still stuck so I gave up my claim on it (they had a waiting list of people offering more than my contract so they didn't care). They vans were almost identical, yet one showed up and the other is stuck missing parts still even though it was built first. They were through different dealers but that shouldn't matter. I am just glad I hedged my bets and got one complete van relatively quickly, but the whole situation is bordering on the absurd. I feel for you, I have seen your post and know that you actually need this van and the lack of any clear info is infuriating.
Yeah I agree and have preached this on other threads making them a bit political. This IS a national security issue or we will look like Cuba soon fixing old cars. Debating on not getting rid of my Ram now…also looking at Chevy vans but high tops with tall doors are rare

mtsarpilot

The entire world screwed up. Each product may source many many parts from around the world.

For example, Boeing sources parts from tens of thousands partners around the world. I am curious how Boeing is able to make a single jet in this screwed up world.
There are a number of causes for the supply chain problems we are living. A huge piece of the silicon problem is that product manufacturers (cars, electronics products, toys, etc.) thought their customer orders were going to dry up, so they shut down their materials orders. That caused the factories to have to reduce production. That meant a reduction in raw materials orders from their suppliers, and the spiral continued. Then when the manufacturers realized the economy was not crashing and orders were staying strong, they asked to bring those matierals orders back. But the factories had reduced production as well as raw materials due to reduced demand and due to COVID staffing. Now they are being whipsawed. They can't turn back on immediately due to lack of raw material and COVID staffing only added to that. Shorter lead time parts come back online a little quicker, silicon (chips) are already a many month process, they can't just pound them out faster. Plus, now every product manufacturer wants their backorders faster leading to a massive backlog. The silicon suppliers (TSMC being the largest in the world) are so backlogged they are having to prioritize what they make. It's a nasty whipsaw that got created and it will take a long time to stabilize out. Add that to yet more downstream supply chain problems like transportation (trucking in the USA) and it compounds.

I wonder if Boeing ever shut down their component supply chain. Their product offering is a multi-year production sequence. They may not have felt they were going to lose aircraft orders as they know the industry will come back online long before those planes scheduled for production in a year or two are still going to be needed. The one scheduled for build in 2020 or 2021 were already so deeply into the components delivery sequence they were not easily stoppable, so let them keep coming. Yes, the airlines had to mothball a lot of planes in the desert in 2020, but that was also understood to be a short term problem in the long term scheme of things. So did Boeing just keep going? All this is my guess based on decades of experience dealing with complex supply chains for consumer products and silicon. Maybe right, maybe not. Hard to know without being inside Boeing.

2021_3500_LowRoof

. I had called around for a Sprinter Van and lucked out that someone had ordered this and backed out of it. I put 5K down and was told arrival should be at the end of the month. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Really! You may be the first to get a 2022 if that holds true. If this van is released as a 2022 then it would put off rumors of needing emissions certification next year.

Counselor

I’m keeping my fingers crossed but that what the man told me. These posts sure make me nervous since I’m already buying what I need to convert. I didn’t want to wait.

mtsarpilot

Does anyone know where the emissions certification rumor is coming from. I have never heard that from a knowledgeable source. I was under the impression both the I4 and the V6 were the same engine and emission system as 2021. If that is true, why would a new certification be required?

Happy29

2020 2500 OM642 4x2 170HR
EPA certification is required for each model year whether the engine is the same or not.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
Checked the EPA web site today for 2022 Sprinter certifications. They posted all files for 2022 Sprinter 2.0L 4-cylinder gasoline models. Attaching copy of final certificate. This seems to counter rumors that the gasoline engine would be dropped from the 2022 models.

Don't have any updates on CARB actions as they haven't updated their data since July. Nothing yet on diesels from EPA.

Attachments

Top Bottom