Transit vs Sprinter 2021

HeabberScebber

I've driving Ford trucks and Mercedes sedans for decades.
Over the years no Ford part come cheaper than the same part for Mercedes.
I have list of internet MB parts suppliers, when for Ford parts, dealer was only good choice and even they always gave me 20% discount, still all Ford parts come more expensive.
As for more service location, Las Vegas has 2 MB and 2 Ford dealers. When I needed oil pan gasket changed on my Ford, they hold me 2 weeks for the appointment. Mercedes dealer at the time had the same day appointments.
Interesting, thank you for your reply!

HeabberScebber

I helped a friend fit out a medium roof transit, maybe a 2019, it had the ecoboost 6 and was as long as my T1N 140"
He bought it from a shuttle company in Utah with 27k miles for about $32k, it was a year old and perfect.
The transit was quieter, nicer ride, a lot more power and similar highway mileage 22ish at 75.
With the maintenance history of the emissions crap on most newer sprinters, I think it is a no brainer.
If someone gave me a new sprinter, I would sell it immediately. If you are made of money no problem, but I don't want to deal with
the constant bleeding...I love the T1N, but I do most of my own work and know others who will do the work at 25% of the dealer rate,
so it is reasonable to keep it going...
Please forgive me for my ignorance, but what are these emissions issues on sprinters that everyone keeps mentioning?
BTW, thank you for the info. I do wish I was more mechanically inclined. However, I believe that I will become more knowledgeable as I go.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
The DPF and SCR systems are new (few years old) technology and as usual the "baby teeth" are highlighted on Mercedes brand, when the same issues on Fords go unnoticed, as parts failing on Ford are expected. :bash:
Transits don't come with diesels, so their engines have different problems, but fact is that it is easier to find mechanic for Ford (not necessary qualified) than for Mercedes.
It all boils to regional market. I noticed that in California, NY, Chicago finding good MB mechanic is not an issue.
But try find good MB service in Nebraska, or Alabama?

HeabberScebber

The DPF and SCR systems are new (few years old) technology and as usual the "baby teeth" are highlighted on Mercedes brand, when the same issues on Fords go unnoticed, as parts failing on Ford are expected. :bash:
Transits don't come with diesels, so their engines have different problems, but fact is that it is easier to find mechanic for Ford (not necessary qualified) than for Mercedes.
It all boils to regional market. I noticed that in California, NY, Chicago finding good MB mechanic is not an issue.
But try find good MB service in Nebraska, or Alabama?
My home base has both a Ford and MB service. However, you are correct, when out on the road (which I'm sure is where most things break), it will be harder to find a good MB mechanic. I am going to purchase an extended warranty, and I was told that this would allow me to go to almost any diesel mechanic. Now it remains to be seen if that would even be a good idea!

To my knowledge.

There was/is a diesel engine offered for the Transit. That engine would be a a Unicorn to most Ford technicians much the same as the T1N Sprinter diesels were to Dodge techs.

The Transit gas aka petrol engines and drive trains are basically the same as some of the Ford pickup truck engine choices. Most Ford dealerships should be familiar with the Transit engine and drive train.

Not all Mercedes dealerships work on Sprinter vans. There are select dealerships that are equipped to handle them.

vic

HeabberScebber

Are you comparing a high roof Transit to a standard roof Sprinter?
I’m 6’2” and my head hits in a high roof Transit but have several inches clearance in a high roof Sprinter
More like length and I have heard there are DC-DC house batt issues. I am pretty short, 5`2. So head height really isn't an issue.

HeabberScebber

To my knowledge.

There was/is a diesel engine offered for the Transit. That engine would be a a Unicorn to most Ford technicians much the same as the T1N Sprinter diesels were to Dodge techs.

The Transit gas aka petrol engines and drive trains are basically the same as some of the Ford pickup truck engine choices. Most Ford dealerships should be familiar with the Transit engine and drive train.

Not all Mercedes dealerships work on Sprinter vans. There are select dealerships that are equipped to handle them.

vic
Good to know, I guess I thought that if you sold it you could service it. That does make sense though considering you would need to have special knowledge.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The 3.2 liter Transit diesel is no longer offered. The promised 2 liter diesel was cancelled before any sales. No new diesel Transits.

I would think getting a competent mechanic to work on the Ford 3.2 would be worse than any Sprinter diesel. Very few sold and that engine was not offered in any other Ford vehicle in the country.

Very little is posted about problems with the Ford gas engines. It is interesting to read the Ford site and compare it to the Sprinter site. Major difference in comments about failures. Lots of variables when comparing the two sites so difficult to state what you read represents a true difference in reliability.

I do know my 2015 Transit has been very reliable and my sold 2008 Sprinter was not. Owned both for 5 years each. What is important is the reliability anxiety I developed when driving the Sprinter is no longer an issue with the Transit.

Dave,
Thanks for the input. I wasn't certain about the diesel offering so I hedged my "To my knowledge".

I would think getting a competent mechanic to work on the Ford 3.2 [diesel] would be worse than any Sprinter diesel. Very few sold and that engine was not offered in any other Ford vehicle in the country.
That's what I thought, but had no real data.

To be clear.

Both 3.5L petrol aka gas engines (standard PDFI/Ecoboost) are also available in the pickup trucks?

vic

borabora

I like my 2016 Sprinter that I bought used for three reason:
- mileage (about 25 mpg)
- the tall headroom that allows me (6.2") to stand up despite wood floor and wood ceiling
- the range which is 500+ miles
Those three reasons are HUGE to me. Pretty much everything else I find either acceptable or laughably poorly designed. The seats are terrible. I can't see any controls because of the poor/small labeling and so on. The van drives okay and it stops okay. I have a 48k mile warranty on the most fragile parts of the vehicle due to the AEM. I fully expect that will need it.
Not in a million years would I buy a Sprinter or for that matter any other new MB vehicle except for the importance of the three Sprinter qualities listed above for a self-built camper. I would buy a Toyota full-sized van with similar attributes in about a millisecond. I'd choose Ford after some pondering.

Yesterday I looked at MB parts and found out that the cloth cover for my driver's seat cushion retails for more than $1,100US. That's not the seat, not the entire cushion but the cloth that covers the bottom cushion. I believe I could have the entire seat upholstered in "Corinthian leather" for about half that price.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
Both 3.5L petrol aka gas engines (standard PDFI/Ecoboost) are also available in the pickup trucks?
Both the 3.5 Ecoboost and the 3.5 non turbo are the same engines sold in the F-150. Probably have minor differences but the same engine family so many qualified mechanics. Gearboxes and rear ends also regular F-150.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I like my 2016 Sprinter that I bought used for three reason:
- mileage (about 25 mpg)
- the tall headroom that allows me (6.2") to stand up despite wood floor and wood ceiling
- the range which is 500+ miles
- Sprinter diesel fuel mileage is much better than either Transit gas engine.
- Transit high roof is 6" higher ( 75.5" and 81.5") than Sprinter high roof. Transit medium roof is lower than Sprinter high roof.
- the Transit range is about 350-400 miles with standard 25 gallon tank. New Transits can be ordered with a 31 gallon tank or 435-500 miles.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
As I mention before, for decades I used Ford trucks and Mercedes sedan for business and family cars.
It is not exact comparison to Transits and Sprinters, but 1st difference you notice going to brand forum is:
-when new MB owner comes to the forum his 1st question is "How do I bring it to factory specs?"
-when new Ford truck owner comes to the forum his 1st question is "where do I start modifications?"

otisdog7

Yesterday I looked at MB parts and found out that the cloth cover for my driver's seat cushion retails for more than $1,100US. That's not the seat, not the entire cushion but the cloth that covers the bottom cushion. I believe I could have the entire seat upholstered in "Corinthian leather" for about half that price.
Well, the same cloth cover for the drivers seat cushion for my 2016 F150 XLT is priced at more than $1,400.....

guoxiaotian

I am also researching on Sprinter vs. Transit, and I want to add one aspect that few places mention.
In my city (Seattle Metro) anything over 22 feet in length AND 9 feet in height is considered *oversized* vehicle, and cannot be parked on property for longer than 24 hours in 7 days period. Looking at both Sprinter & Transit's specs, I believe such limitation is actually common in the USA -

It cannot be coincidental that Transit is 21.99 feet in length(look out for your bumper sticker) and Sprinter is 8.95 feet in height. they both dodged the oversize vehicle regulation with different strategies. Unfortunately for Sprinter, the 8.95 feet height would not work for van conversion because of the fan or AC unit.

I would like to have a Sprinter, but I'd have to go through a really long process to get a parking exemption from the city so I don't have to worry about disgruntle neighbor reporting me to the city.

To me, having a van but needing to put it in storage place is not an option. So Transit might end up being my only option.

2021_3500_LowRoof

I am also researching on Sprinter vs. Transit, and I want to add one aspect that few places mention.
In my city (Seattle Metro) anything over 22 feet in length AND 9 feet in height is considered *oversized* vehicle, and cannot be parked on property for longer than 24 hours in 7 days period. Looking at both Sprinter & Transit's specs, I believe such limitation is actually common in the USA -

It cannot be coincidental that Transit is 21.99 feet in length(look out for your bumper sticker) and Sprinter is 8.95 feet in height. they both dodged the oversize vehicle regulation with different strategies. Unfortunately for Sprinter, the 8.95 feet height would not work for van conversion because of the fan or AC unit.

I would like to have a Sprinter, but I'd have to go through a really long process to get a parking exemption from the city so I don't have to worry about disgruntle neighbor reporting me to the city.

To me, having a van but needing to put it in storage place is not an option. So Transit might end up being my only option.
Can’t you just use a low roof Sprinter? Shouldnt be higher than 8ft.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton

My 148" WB not extended Transit is just under 20' in length. There are also length limits at some campgrounds.

The Transit is available in 3 heights. The medium roof Transit is lower than a high roof Transit and the high roof Transit is taller than the high roof Sprinter.

I have preferred the 2015 Transit compared to the 2008 Sprinter. Owned each for 5 years.

Top Bottom