Autel AP200 - Server communication failed

Larry M

iCarsoft does not require internet for operation. I’ve connected twice since we owned it but only to update the firmware.

edit: Here’s a Forum about scanners:

Last edited:

WerkSpace

I've used the Espar Aux/Booster heater live data on my AP200. It's a pretty cool feature.
I recently bought some automotive relays to modify this unit into working as a pre-heater prior to starting my engine in -35C.

As for the AP200, I'd like to figure out a way to make it work without contacting the mothership prior to use.
I did have it working for an entire week, before it suddenly wanted me to login. I don't know what changed?

marklg

I've used the Espar Aux/Booster heater live data on my AP200. It's a pretty cool feature.
I recently bought some automotive relays to modify this unit into working as a pre-heater prior to starting my engine in -35C.

As for the AP200, I'd like to figure out a way to make it work without contacting the mothership prior to use.
I did have it working for an entire week, before it suddenly wanted me to login. I don't know what changed?
Please start another thread and post how you did it, or add to this thread:

I don't know of a way to get the AP200 to work without internet access, but it indeed does work well to troubleshoot the heater booster, and the live data shows you everything that is going on. Are you using it on Android or Iphone? Android keeps changing the APIs with each new version, so the apps have to change, and some of those changes may have to ask for permissions again or log in again after it was already logged in.

The Thinkdiag can read and clear codes from the heater booster, but it's live data is almost useless, not showing much at all.

Regards,

Mark

WerkSpace

Mark, I recently bought the relays, no implementation yet.
I'm still at the point of deciding where to mount the relays and spare battery.
The relays share a lot of common wiring, so I might mount them on a circuit board.
Please start another thread and post how you did it, or add to this thread:

Regards,

Mark

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
did have it working for an entire week, before it suddenly wanted me to login. I don't know what changed?
It could be due to a firmware update:

WerkSpace

A firmware update would require internet or data access?
I don't have internet or data enabled on my phone.

I used WIFI from work, to initially install the AP200 app.
The app worked fine for a week before requiring a log in.
Today, I re-installed the AP200 app, so I'll find out tonight if it works again.

The AUTEL tech said that the app could work without internet access as long as it was still running in the background.
So, this means that I must have shutoff the app and turned it on again.

I found the data files for this app on my phone and tried to back them up to my computer.
Part way thru the backup, an error message said that a file was of the wrong type and could not be copied.

It could be due to a firmware update:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I found the data files for this app on my phone and tried to back them up to my computer.
Part way thru the backup, an error message said that a file was of the wrong type and could not be copied.
This can be a problem with using a (or "the") default file-copying app ... it may well try to verify the files as it goes by comparing the filename extension (the .jpg) with the "magic word" contained at the beginning of the file itself (JFIF for jpegs). If there's a mismatch, the copy program barfs. Some 3rd party file managers allow bypassing that check.

In Linux-like operating/file systems, there is also the concept of "hidden files" ... files whose name starts with a period (.)
They won't show up in a normal directory listing, nor will they be caught by a "select all" within the directory.

--dick

Last edited:

WerkSpace

I re-installed the AP200 app on my phone yesterday and tested it last night. As the AUTEL tech stated, it does work without an internet connection as long as you don't close the app on your phone. So, I leave the app running in the background all the time, as I don't have internet at home or on my phone. It seems to work fine.

I thought about why they set up the AP200 this way and one thought came to mind. If someone were to steal my AP200, they could not possibly use it without being able to login to AUTEL's server with the proper credentials.

englewoodfl

Early 2006 T1N LTV Free Spirit
I found out the hard way that you need internet access for this to work after I couldn't get it to work at a remote campsite in a state park. Vendor confirmed it. This is not on the packaging. I thought this was going to be a great solution but I'd return if I could but I bought it last November.

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
I'm having the same issue today, no server communication. The only thing that has changed since I used it yesterday is 1. I installed the Truma App and 2. I left the Bluetooth adapter plugged all night and walked away with my phone which I have never done before. Tried re-booting phone twice, rebooting Bluetooth adapter twice and verified that I had a WIFI connection. No dice. Any ideas? This is the first time I have ever had trouble with it.
Screenshot_20220702-152904_Autel MaxiAP200.jpg

bigb

I just removed then re-installed the app and now when I try and sign in I get the server communication error

WerkSpace

I don't have internet at home, so I load the app at work and then try to connect even though the vehicle is at home.
I will get a message to turn my bluetooth on or something like that. I then leave the app running in the back ground all the time.
I can access my Diagnostics at home at any time, as long as I don't close the app. Just leave it running in the background all the time.

I found out the hard way that you need internet access for this to work after I couldn't get it to work at a remote campsite in a state park. Vendor confirmed it. This is not on the packaging. I thought this was going to be a great solution but I'd return if I could but I bought it last November.

bigb

I'm getting the error message immediately when trying to sign in so there is something preventing it from even trying to connect, the message appears as I am pressing the button

bigb

I am considering the MD802 but if I'm going to spend more money maybe I should consider the MD 808 Pro. Is the 808 worth the extra money, how much more can it actually do?

WerkSpace

Have you guys tried to completely delete the app from your phones,
then downloading and installing a fresh new installation?
It might be worth trying, while you are waiting for the Autel tech support.
Mines down as well. Server communication failed message pops up when trying to log on.

Top Bottom