Agile Offroad RIP vs Van Compass

dgravlin

I have a 2019 170 4x4 that I am generally pleased with. Just got back from a two week trip, with a lot of travel on rutted Forest Service roads. Potholes would result in exaggerated and lingering sway, even when approached at minimal speed. I'm looking to mitigate that, and I am trying to become more knowledgeable on how changes to the suspension can improve the "ride." I don't really have any complaints about highway performance, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Options that I'm aware of would be 1) Simply upgrade the struts with Bilsteins or similar; 2) Agile Off Road RIP; 3) Van Compass's various X.X offerings.

Any feedback or guidance would be appreciated.
IMG_1098 (3).jpeg

Desertbound

This has been covered in depth in the thread here:

You're on the right track and will be happy with any of those upgrades you listed out. I'm happy to go into depth on any specific questions you have on Van Compass products. Shoot me an email at Rob@vancompass.com with some more information on your van and what your are doing with it and I'll be happy to steer you towards the appropriate VC kit for your van so you don't need to buy more than you need to get the best out of your van.

-Rob @ VC.

Rally1

I looked at RIP and VC. For me I wanted to retain the existing 4x4 ride height, no desire to go higher and throw off suspension dynamics. So I went 4.3 VC, and have been happy onroad and off. The ability to slip from soft to medium to hard means you have options.

patchesj

Having my VC 4.5 kit installed today.. I went back and forth and looked at all combos of options out there. Settled on VC because I didn't want to change the factory geometry. Went 4.5 because I wanted in cab and auto adjustment. Call/email Rob or Glenn at VC. Ask questions. Think about what you are actually doing with the van. Go to the scales... You can't go wrong with either choice, unless it isn't an informed decision.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I looked at RIP and VC. For me I wanted to retain the existing 4x4 ride height, no desire to go higher and throw off suspension dynamics. So I went 4.3 VC, and have been happy onroad and off. The ability to slip from soft to medium to hard means you have options.
Btw Agile does offer a no lift RIP kit option for Sprinter 4x4’s. Not sure about 2wd.
I have the RIP kit on my VS30 4x4 and overall am happy with it. I must say I’d love to switch to the Falcon adjustable shocks though.
I can’t think of a downside other than cost, or why would anyone would not want the option to adjust the ride.
Maybe someday.

Strut replacement/upgrade would be last on my list, after shocks, then a rear spring pack.

You can always start with just the shocks and add on from there if you feel the need.
I say rear shocks are the number 2 mod a new sprinter owner should do as soon as they get their Sprinter… after disconnecting the soul damaging center dash speaker!

Last edited:

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
This has been covered in depth in the thread here:

You're on the right track and will be happy with any of those upgrades you listed out. I'm happy to go into depth on any specific questions you have on Van Compass products. Shoot me an email at Rob@vancompass.com with some more information on your van and what your are doing with it and I'll be happy to steer you towards the appropriate VC kit for your van so you don't need to buy more than you need to get the best out of your van.

-Rob @ VC.
Question for you Rob: the rear of my VS30 is over sprung due to RIP kit with the 4700lb spring upgrade because I haven’t done a real interior build yet. Will the Falcon adjustable shocks soften that up any?
I‘m thinking the only way to soften it up is to get my build done, (or add weight at the back). Currently have the Fox 2.0 rear shocks.

Last edited:

Bjorgens

I have no experience with the RIP Kit, but here are my thoughts on the VC 2.5 + Agile leaf pack. Very happy with my choice thus far.

Last edited:

Desertbound

Question for you Rob: the rear of my VS30 is over sprung due to RIP kit with the 4700lb spring upgrade because I haven’t done a real interior build yet. Will the Falcon adjustable shocks soften that up any?
I‘m thinking the only way to soften it up is to get my build done, (or add weight at the back). Currently have the Fox 2.0 rear shocks.

The Agile springs are very weight sensitive to they can ride very poorly unless the correct ones are installed for the weight of the van. The best thing to do would be to get to the correct rear axle weight of the springs. That being said, the Falcon adjustable shocks would help. Because they have a massive adjustment range, if you were running them in position 1 most of the time, I think you'd see a big improvement. Once your build out is up to the correct weight for the springs, click up the shocks a bit and it'll still ride amazing. The Falcons can grow with your build very well.

Another option would be to just add some weight to the back of the van and spend no money. That would help too. If you're leaning towards some Falcons anyway though, I think it'd be a good upgrade to get now and utilize for the duration.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
The Agile springs are very weight sensitive to they can ride very poorly unless the correct ones are installed for the weight of the van. The best thing to do would be to get to the correct rear axle weight of the springs. That being said, the Falcon adjustable shocks would help. Because they have a massive adjustment range, if you were running them in position 1 most of the time, I think you'd see a big improvement. Once your build out is up to the correct weight for the springs, click up the shocks a bit and it'll still ride amazing. The Falcons can grow with your build very well.

Another option would be to just add some weight to the back of the van and spend no money. That would help too. If you're leaning towards some Falcons anyway though, I think it'd be a good upgrade to get now and utilize for the duration.
Thanks for your response Rob. Yes, the springs are too much for the current weight without a doubt. That’s definitely NOT on Agile, I bought the kit off a forum member new in box and had it installed at The Tire Co in Cedar City Utah which did his current van. I knew it would be stiff until someday when I get the van built. It is.
I already carry some extra weight around and it helps some. Obviously I’d rather not have the extra stuff taking up space in my van when not needed. Hauled a small 8x4 trailer (about 1000lbs with load) about 60 miles recently, the van ride was great, so smooth.

The Falcon adjustables are on my wish list, however I can’t justify the cost right now after just having a new roof put on the house 2 weeks ago, an insulation upgrade this week, and concrete, 2 bathroom remodels and numerous other house upgrade projects coming in the near future. And my eyes are on a new all in one power system for the sprinter late this month among a long list of other build items. OHHHH yeah and I just bought a new carbon Intense 29er Mountain Bike.
??????‍♂?
I do think the Adjustable Falcons can only help, and a VC sticker would look good in my sticker spot on the van.
Currently have the VC diff skid plate and hood light mounts, nicely made products. ?? ?
Skid plates for engine, trans and fuel tank on my list too.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mathewst

I have falcons 2.3 they are okay apart my service installed them on opposite sides and black microadjustment knobs got destroyed on mine so I got just 3 settings :)
I usually drive on 2 (micro set to 4), on 1 it floats like crazy. With trailer (1.2ton) I drive on 3. You can feel difference. I am leaving for Iceland today so will report how it works there.

Question for Rob, I have been in contact with you (Mark) for replacements if you can get me replacement adjustment knobs, you said you will try but its long since 22.april and no luck yet. Do you think its possible? Or I have to buy whole new rear shocks?

Desertbound

I have falcons 2.3 they are okay apart my service installed them on opposite sides and black microadjustment knobs got destroyed on mine so I got just 3 settings :)
I usually drive on 2 (micro set to 4), on 1 it floats like crazy. With trailer (1.2ton) I drive on 3. You can feel difference. I am leaving for Iceland today so will report how it works there.

Question for Rob, I have been in contact with you (Mark) for replacements if you can get me replacement adjustment knobs, you said you will try but its long since 22.april and no luck yet. Do you think its possible? Or I have to buy whole new rear shocks?
I just spoke with Mark and he is going to follow up with you via email. Apologies for the delay, Mark is pretty overwhelmed these days. We will be able to get you replacement parts for those shocks so you don't have to buy new shocks.

-Rob @ VC

GRC

I’m looking at either the 2.3 or 4.3 kit. Did the 4.3 add any noticeable height to the rear of your van?

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
I’m looking at either the 2.3 or 4.3 kit. Did the 4.3 add any noticeable height to the rear of your van?
per the chart on the VC website 4.3 adds 1.25” rear lift.
2.3 does not.
I would think the 1.25” rear lift may be less in a built out or loaded van.
Basically getting rid of the rear squat stock sprinters are afflicted by, but more importantly increasing stability and reducing sway, rocking, and wallowing. All of which increase safety and comfort.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mpboats

I have a 2019 170 4x4 that I am generally pleased with. Just got back from a two week trip, with a lot of travel on rutted Forest Service roads. Potholes would result in exaggerated and lingering sway, even when approached at minimal speed. I'm looking to mitigate that, and I am trying to become more knowledgeable on how changes to the suspension can improve the "ride." I don't really have any complaints about highway performance, but maybe I don't know what I'm missing.

Options that I'm aware of would be 1) Simply upgrade the struts with Bilsteins or similar; 2) Agile Off Road RIP; 3) Van Compass's various X.X offerings.

Any feedback or guidance would be appreciated.
View attachment 189702
Both companies are Great in the research I have done. But If you are not installing the kit yourself I would do some research on who is going to take care of it or service you for where you live and who is going to install it. For example I live in Southern California and I reached out to both companies. Price was not a factor at all in my decision but, My problem I had with Van Compass is every one of the companies that they list as a dealer or a partner that does installs (Keep in Mind Van Compass does not do installs and they are in Idaho) But out of all of the companies that I called in regards to having the Suspension installed I did not receive 1 phone call back (Business must be too Good). Van Compass themselves were very attentive and very responsive as they would email literally immediately. But not being able to locate an Installer nor getting a call back was a deal breaker. On the other hand Agile Offroad I have not made one phone call yet that was not answered by an employee. They were very thorough over the phone and they give you a very detailed List of what you are purchasing and when it will be installed. I had to wait 4 months for my appt but my wait for Van Compass parts was somewhere around a 2-3 month wait at the time that I contacted them as well back in April or May. Either one you choose will greatly improve your Sprinter but just a different perspective on why I went with the RIP Kit. I am very pleased with my Agile Offroad RIP kit as it completely changed my vehicle for the better. Good luck with your decision and feel free to message me if you have any questions. I will be more than happy to answer any of them.

1631480898900.jpeg

Mpboats

Agile sells and installs VC suspensions too.
Ummmmm That would be a Big Fat Negative Ghost Rider, they sell some VC components but do not Sell or install any Van Compass Suspension kits on any Sprinter Van. Feel free to call them, they might actually laugh at you for asking.

Mrshakedown

That seems just silly.

I wouldn’t be the least surprised they didn’t sell the VC kits. But it’s clear they do, I was shocked at first when I noticed.

With that said it just seems juvenile to sell them but not instal them. Kinda like I’ll take the profit I can make off you product by jus turning it over but not the profit from instal.

I Suspect that has something to do with their four month wait on instal work for a AG kit and maybe just general instal and mechanic work and not wanting really be dealing with instal work in the first place. Thats pure speculation on my part, I’m not sure what it is other than a scrubby sense but AG rubs me the wrong way..

Ummmmm That would be a Big Fat Negative Ghost Rider, they sell some VC components but do not Sell or install any Van Compass Suspension kits on any Sprinter Van. Feel free to call them, they might actually laugh at you for asking.

Mpboats

That seems just silly.

I wouldn’t be the least surprised they didn’t sell the VC kits. But it’s clear they do, I was shocked at first when I noticed.

With that said it just seems juvenile to sell them but not instal them. Kinda like I’ll take the profit I can make off you product by jus turning it over but not the profit from instal.

I Suspect that has something to do with their four month wait on instal work for a AG kit and maybe just general instal and mechanic work and not wanting really be dealing with instal work in the first place. Thats pure speculation on my part, I’m not sure what it is other than a scrubby sense but AG rubs me the wrong way..
I personally called them about installing a VC kit and they told me no over the phone. Which makes sense to me as they are a direct competitor to VC and the whole Laugh at you thing was actually what happened to me when I asked LOL! It was kind of like asking a Toyota dealer to install some Honda Parts on your car. To be fair I did not know much about either one so I didnt think it would be a big deal to ask. Then you probe around this Forum and that question gets answered for you. To be honest they are cool people and did great work. Best part about them is you actually get to talk with them. VC on the other hand not so much. Im not a big fan of forking over thousands of dollars and not being able to speak to someone, call me weird but I do my own homework and don't take Forum chat to determine what I am gonna install on my vehicles. You come to these places for guidance and make your own decision after you've weighed them.

Top Bottom