Additional transmission cooler 3l v6

coss370

Hi

I am assuming my 3.0L v6 already has an oil cooler. Has anyone install an extra one for transmission reliability and towing. If so what kit do you recommend. Also is there anyway to get a transmission fluid temp gauge?

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
The forum has plenty of threads about transmission oil coolers, the advisability of installing extra ones, and reading the transmission temp.

Those threads are based on earlier models (not VS30) but have info that probably applies.

In short, transmission temps are held very closely to the engine coolant temps by the cooler built into the radiator. A few folks with T1N based motorhomes have seen higher temps on hard uphill hauls, but transmission failure via overheat does not seem to be a widespread problem, at least not by number of reports on the forum.

A few folks have hardwired temp gauges in their rigs. However, he easiest way in monitor transmission fluid temps has been using an X Gauge on a Scan Gauge II - you can find the entries here https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-commands/2019-mercedes-sprinter-3-0l-diesel/

The forum has not had lots of info on the use of Scan Gauge II in VS30 and there has been some reports that it doesn't work - so no guarantees if you go this route. But if it does work, you can monitor your transmission fluid temps and decide for yourself the need to put in extra cooling.

patchesj

Trans temp is on the "info" screen.
^This... I was going to get a scanguage until I realized there were already trans and oil temp gauges on the info screen. I have not tried towing something yet, but our van is 9k lbs. Trans temp has never gone past the mid point of the gauge. I doubt a cooler is necessary even under "extreme" situations.

2021_3500_LowRoof

^This... I was going to get a scanguage until I realized there were already trans and oil temp gauges on the info screen. I have not tried towing something yet, but our van is 9k lbs. Trans temp has never gone past the mid point of the gauge. I doubt a cooler is necessary even under "extreme" situations.
Def heard of vans towing with high temps but not certain if it depends on towing topography or just ambient temperatures

J.Johnson

The 2019 already has a trans cooler. You can tow the 5000 load without a worry.
The engine oil does need a little extra cooling. The heat exchanger on teh vans is not big enough. You can watch the engine oil temp on teh same screen as the trans temp.

J.Johnson

I don't believe I have the oil temp gauge? I have a 2019 crew with the 10"
It is on the screen with the tans gauge. Both small and large screens have it.
Trans temp on the lt side of screen oil temp on rt side. Engine HP and torq in the middle.

coss370

It is on the screen with the tans gauge. Both small and large screens have it.
Trans temp on the lt side of screen oil temp on rt side. Engine HP and torq in the middle.
dude I never knew that. It’s in the center screen and not in front. Duh I am an idiot

thanks everyone, I guess I have something else to worry about.

Top Bottom