Faulty Speed Sensor Issues

joaaelst

Hi Y'all.

Hoping someone might have an idea how to fix my problem <edit> with my 2006 Dodge Sprinter (Deisel) </edit>.

I just replaced my rear right speed sensor, which was not working, and triggering the ABS, traction control, and another related dash light. There were bits of metal magnetically sticking to the old sensor.

Immediately after replacing the speed sensor, the following issues started:
(1) the vehicle sometimes has trouble accelerating from low speeds in the 0-10 mph range due to lack of power. Letting off the gas and depressing the gas pedal again usually solves this (and possibly shifting into first gear may also resolve the intermittent issue).
(2) as others with faulty speed sensors have described, the brake pedal will vibrate sometimes, usually at low speeds around 5 mph, but sometimes at higher speeds. Sometimes it feels like antilock brakes are engaging unnecessarily. Other times the oscillation in brake pedal pressure is at a slower tempo.

The transmission currently has the following codes: P2316 (Auto Transmission continuity CAN message missing), P2501 (engine overspeed), P2400 (Right rear speed sensor). There are metal bits magnetically adhering to the new speed sensor. <edit> It appears the source of the metal flakes may be internal and that the dust shield is intact and working. The old speed sensor was blackened at the tip (and perhaps ground down just a little bit on the tip?).</edit>

Does anyone have suggestions on the best path forward?

with gratitude,
Joe

Last edited:

billintomahawk

'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner
Joe, if you post the year and model of your van that might help for specific information.
The rear brake caliper, rotor and speed sensor is protected by a dust guard on each wheel that can fail due to rust or it can collect dirt and crud that fouls the sensor. You need to completely clean the area on both rear wheels, clear your codes and see what codes you regenerat
That's my suggestion. I had the same problems.

If the dust shields are completely bad repairs are possible.

bill in tomahawk

autostaretx

Erratic Member
UPDATE: the original posting has been corrected to say "brake pedal" (instead of "gas"), so this posting of mine no longer applies

(2) as others with faulty speed sensors have described, the gas pedal will vibrate sometimes, usually at low speeds around 5 mph, but sometimes at higher speeds. Sometimes it feels like antilock breaks are engaging unnecessarily. Other times the oscillation in gas pedal pressure is at a slower tempo.
Assuming you've got a diesel Sprinter, there is *no* mechanism that can/should "vibrate the gas pedal".

All the pedal mechanism is is a sliding dual potentiometer ("volume control") ... they use two as a safety feature: if they both don't say the same thing, the Sprinter doesn't believe either of them (and drops to idle).
Unlike a classic gasoline engine, there's no push/pull cable to a carburetor's butterfly valve. There's no mechanical connection to anything.
It's all "fly by wire".
Any pulsing you're feeling is probably the engine and transmission lurching (for whatever reason).

--dick

Last edited:

jrod5150

Assuming you've got a diesel Sprinter, there is *no* mechanism that can/should "vibrate the gas pedal".

All the pedal mechanism is is a sliding dual potentiometer ("volume control") ... they use two as a safety feature: if they both don't say the same thing, the Sprinter doesn't believe either of them (and drops to idle).
Unlike a classic gasoline engine, there's no push/pull cable to a carburetor's butterfly valve. There's no mechanical connection to anything.
It's all "fly by wire".
Any pulsing you're feeling is probably the engine and transmission lurching (for whatever reason).

--dick
I think the OP meant brake pedal as in the abs pump kicking in.

@joaaelst spacing is crucial. Too far and youll get a sloppy reading. Too close and youll hit the tone wheel. Sounds like yours might need to be knocked in a little more. You could also have a tone wheel issue

Last edited:

joaaelst

Joe, if you post the year and model of your van that might help for specific information.
The rear brake caliper, rotor and speed sensor is protected by a dust guard on each wheel that can fail due to rust or it can collect dirt and crud that fouls the sensor. You need to completely clean the area on both rear wheels, clear your codes and see what codes you regenerat

bill in tomahawk
Thanks. It's a 2006 Dodge Sprinter with Deisel Engine.

joaaelst

I think the OP meant brake pedal as in the abs pump kicking in.

@joaaelst spacing is crucial. Too far wnd youll get a sloppy reading. Too close and youll hit the tone wheel. Sounds like yours might need to be knocked in a little more. You could also have a tone wheel issue
Yes. My apologies! It's the brake pedal that vibrates when it feels like the ABS is kicking in unnecessarily.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Watch 'Live data' for all four wheel speed sensors on your scanner whilst driving, maybe get a helper, and look for anomalies.

If you don't have Sprinter specific scanner then it should be top of your shopping list! Read the scanners sub forum for suggestions.

Keith.

joaaelst

bill in tomahawk
It appears the dust shield is intact and working and that the source of the metal flakes/dust may be from an internal part of the mechanism. Has anyone encountered a similar issue before?

jrod5150

It appears the dust shield is intact and working and that the source of the metal flakes/dust may be from an internal part of the mechanism. Has anyone encountered a similar issue before?
Yes see reply #4 incorrectly spaced sensor or bad tone wheel. The sensor is magnetic so it’s always going to have brake dust on it. Check the old sensor to see if its physically damaged at the tip. If so the tone wheel may be damaged. If your unsure about the spacing measure the left rear and match the spacing

joaaelst

Yes see reply #4 incorrectly spaced sensor or bad tone wheel. The sensor is magnetic so it’s always going to have brake dust on it. Check the old sensor to see if its physically damaged at the tip. If so the tone wheel may be damaged. If your unsure about the spacing measure the left rear and match the spacing
Thanks jrod! Yes. The old speed sensor was blackened at the tip (and perhaps ground town just a little bit?).

jrod5150

Thanks jrod! Yes. The old speed sensor was blackened at the tip (and perhaps ground town just a little bit?).
Ive personally never had a bad tone wheel but it does happen if someone knocks it in too far. give it a little tap inward and take it for a test drive

billintomahawk

'02 2.7 T!N Freightliner
Jo, You might have to go in and clear the transmission code. If you do be sure to turn the ignition off for 10 seconds, restart and try again. I just assume the parking brake shoes aren't jammed up inside the rear hub causing you debris problems.

bill

Top Bottom