Rear upper door storage

Pharkas

Active member
I was just about to pull the trigger on a pair of upper rear door Molle panels sold by a forum member. They looked really nice and would work great for attaching miscellaneous molle pouches. Then I started analyzing what I needed. I don't need universal molle pattern to fit a wide range of pouches. I have specific items I want stored there all the time. Specifically I have two molle first aid pouches and my heavy 20 ft copper jumper cables. I could have made the currently available molle panels work to secure these items, however by custom making the panels to my parameters they are near perfect for my needs. The passenger side panel has molle type slots specifically cut for my two first aid pouches. The driver's side panel has both vertical and horizontal slots cut to mount a custom made cardura harness I made on my sewing machine.
 

Pharkas

Active member
I wish I took pictures along the way but this time it didn't happen. I purchased a 1/8" thick 18"x24" sheet of aluminium on EBay for $42. I purchased 1" strap and quick release buckles on Amazon to make the jumper cable harness. I already had heavy cardura fabric from a previous scuba bcu repair project. I also purchased a pack of 6mm rivnuts on Amazon.
 
Last edited:

Pharkas

Active member
I pulled the rear door padded covers with a trim pulling tool. I used one of those covers to trace the outline onto a piece of cardboard making sure to carefully locate the mounting holes along the edges. I then cut out the cardboard template and punched the mounting holes to complete the template. I traced the template onto the sheet of aluminium and used my jig saw to cut out the panels.
 

Pharkas

Active member
Then onto the custom part. I made two cardboard templates and experimented with slot configurations to fit my specific items. Once I was happy with the templates I traced the slots onto my aluminum panels and used the jig saw to make the cuts. I grinded all my edges and finished the panels with a black enamel tractor implement paint. I had to slightly drill out the holes in the van door to fit the 6mm rivnuts. I mounted the original covers to cover the door hole and then mounted my custom panels on top. I used 1/4" ID rubber washers as spacers between the factory covers and my custom panels to get the correct space between the two to allow the straps to pass freely.
 
Last edited:

Top Bottom