Lost cruise control on long trip

BlueCollarNomad

Expediter team traveling the US
This happens to me every night. I usually fix it by following a truck for a few miles. One of these days one of these trucks are going to freak out on me for following lol.

More information on the "don't see a vehicle" timeout. 860 mile trip today. About 150 miles in, sensors cut out. There were many vehicles on the road with me so didn't think lack of vehicle sensing was the issue. Stopped for fuel, cleaned salt off everything, back on the road still no cruise.

Found "driver assist" page on dash monitor and pulled up behind a car to gauge speed. After a bit of time, cruise came active again. Kept driver assist display up and noticed that the sensors only know there is a vehicle present for ~300 feet ahead. I had been traveling speed limit before I lost cruise, so never had a car within sensing distance. Also noticed vehicles passing me were not pulling back in within the sensing zone to reset timeout. Remaining 700 miles drove 5 over speed limit, so periodically had vehicle in sensing zone and no more problems.

Also noticed that there is a green indicator next to the "cruise enabled" indicator that lites when a vehicle is in the sensing zone ahead of you.
What does the green-indicator look like? Our 2020 MB is in winter storage... so I can't see what it looks like. is it a symbol or a dot? Hopefully you can help me.

Eric Experience

Coss.
A common cause of sudden cruise control failure is a faulty brake light switch. Check your brake lights, The switch has two sets of contacts so check both. Eric.

Roamers

2020 4X4 170 Crew
What does the green-indicator look like? Our 2020 MB is in winter storage... so I can't see what it looks like. is it a symbol or a dot? Hopefully you can help me.
There is a speedometer looking green indicator when cruise is enabled. When a vehicle is sensed, there is a green vehicle looking indicator touching the cruise indicator on the left side. If you have the higher end color dash monitor, it passes time watching the vehicle slowly appear and disappear on the "driver assist" screen.

Top Bottom