Adding Seats to Cargo Van

mve

2019 Crew 4x4 HR
Paging @fireball05 and @mve
Great info. I was able to flush out the part number and confirmed the crew has this reinforcement piece and the cargo does not.

The Mercedes-Benz part number is 9107304800 and catalogued as “Reinforcement Beam”. Retail cost is approx $284. Per MB attachment requires 3 M8-16 or M8-20 screws.
that sounds correct (3 bolts is what I remember). Unfortunately I didn't take down the part number, so glad you were able to find it and share here.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
My limo, that I converted come with aftermarket recliners, that I am advertising for sale https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/95226/
Doing the work on 2 vans, I noticed that factory bolts holding the seat rail are welded into subframe and you can't update the design later.
My limo was professionally build in Las Vegas and 1/2" bolts holding the seat had huge shims under the floor.

that sounds correct (3 bolts is what I remember). Unfortunately I didn't take down the part number, so glad you were able to find it and share here.
Did you happen to notice any other extra reinforcement beams anywhere else? Like inside the body on opposite side (driver side). I spent some time discussing this with a very knowledgeable parts advisor at MB and he didn’t see anything else in his system. Thanks

JMG_Systems_Eng

Seating Systems Engineer
We will be at the Adventure Van Expo in Big Bear on Oct 16 -17 and will have a number of seats and mounting systems on display. We will also have at least 3 different rigs in our booth with different seating solutions installed in them. There will also be a few other rigs in the show with our seats in them. Please stop by to check out the seating solutions we have designed for different applications, and chat. We were just at the Lake Tahoe AVE last weekend.
AVE-Tahoe 2021.jpg

seetrai

2021 170 4x4 v6 (SF Bay Area)
Just ordered my slider reinforcement bar for my '21 170 4x4. Here are all of the part numbers needed.

Reinforcement Bar: 910-730-48-00
Mounting Screws(x3): 126-990-03-12
Thank you for this info! Where did you order from?

AK4915

Just ordered my slider reinforcement bar for my '21 170 4x4. Here are all of the part numbers needed.

Is there any sort of reinforcement for the driver side behind the drivers seat? I’m thinking of adding a seat behind the drivers.

w15p

2019 144 HR 4x4

I ordered these part numbers. I can confirm the reinforcement bar, but the mounting screws are not 126-990-03-12 -- those are steering wheel bolts (and they're fricking huge).

I used M8-1.25 hex bolts with flat washers and lock washers (and loctite blue) - they were ~20mm in length, but you could probably use longer with no issue.

Putting the bar in without any reference is fun :) but if you orient the 3 threaded holes facing the cabin and the the wavy extension pointing down, it fits, nearly resting on the bottom of the door (the bolt holes in the door frame also become obvious then). Feed it into the front first and then once it's in, move it back until the bolt holes are aligned.

I should have taken pictures but I did not.

Eric B

Regarding that door reinforcement bar which concerned peoples are adding to their cargo van slider doors ...

If another multi-thousand pound vehicle happens to T-bone you, that bolted-in bar is not going to do a hell of a lot to protect the contents on your 2nd row passenger seat / bench ... just saying ... it's not because some government regulation made it standard issue on a passenger van that you're X times safer in a passenger than in a cargo ... and as mentioned above, no such reinforcement exists on the side opposite the slider door ... so ... maybe save the $300 it costs and apply to something else ?

if you're really worried, have your local motorsports fab shop build you a proper welded cage with DOM tubing ... but you'd definitely be the outlier ... on the plus side, maybe the kids will get a kick out of the monkey bars feature you just added in ...

of course, to each his own ...

remember there are no curtain airbags in a passenger van for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th row seating either ...

Attachments

Last edited:
Today we installed the reinforcement beam in our 2021 4x4. This thread was incredibly useful in learning about and how to install the part.

However, #126-990-03-12 did not work for us and are listed as steering wheel bolts. I was able to fit with M8-20 from the local auto parts store.

Thanks again.

Van-demic

I’m in NorCal so traveling to SoCal is definitely an option if it’s the right installer. If I go with JMG or Bespoke I’d drive down. I’d like to hear if anyone has used JMG products but had a local upfitter preform the work as they have a partner upfitter program.

My originally van was a crew. Though the OE placement of the rear seating was IMO way to close to the front seats. It was my understanding that if the crew seats were moved back to a custom location, then they need to check off all certifications in that process just as if the van was a cargo.

Thanks for the contact in SD. I’m routinely in Coronado so I’ll give them a call.
I have a 2020 crew van. I removed the factory bench for the two captains with center console from JMG. It’s a pull tested seat mounted in the factory rails. IMO this is the safest configuration aside from factory spec. I used an upfitter in Portland to install the seats. They are snug to the back of the front seats but I was still able to install a pedestal table and create a dining space with the front sets swiveled. There is a mod to move the factory rails back, but then you lose space behind the second row. Also note that the crew has some structural differences than the cargo to protect against side impact. Both the mod details and the parts kit for side impact are documented in this forum. I believe JMG also has a pull tested system that can go in a cargo that does not rely on factory rails. As others have said, the quality of the JMG seats is top notch.

Silveringot

8 Grit Sandpaper
Regarding that door reinforcement bar which concerned peoples are adding to their cargo van slider doors ...

If another multi-thousand pound vehicle happens to T-bone you, that bolted-in bar is not going to do a hell of a lot to protect the contents on your 2nd row passenger seat / bench ... just saying ... it's not because some government regulation made it standard issue on a passenger van that you're X times safer in a passenger than in a cargo ... and as mentioned above, no such reinforcement exists on the side opposite the slider door ... so ... maybe save the $300 it costs and apply to something else ?

if you're really worried, have your local motorsports fab shop build you a proper welded cage with DOM tubing ... but you'd definitely be the outlier ... on the plus side, maybe the kids will get a kick out of the monkey bars feature you just added in ...

of course, to each his own ...

remember there are no curtain airbags in a passenger van for the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th row seating either ...
That is awesome! Connecting on the rear wheel well might be a bit iffy, but wow. Having roll bars in a couple cars, I have a lot of appreciation for this.

That is awesome! Connecting on the rear wheel well might be a bit iffy, but wow. Having roll bars in a couple cars, I have a lot of appreciation for this.
I don't think this is a crash bar, but a flimsy door reinforcement. I noticed the door sounds and feels much more solid with the bar installed.. or it could be placebo...

Top Bottom