VS30 3 seat to 2 seat bench write up

goldihop

Hi everyone,
I searched for this on the forums a bit and did not find a ton of resources (really just one thread if I remember correctly) so I decided to document. I started out with a stock, non reclining seat out of a 2020 crew van. I am going for a "westfalia" style layout, so I wanted the bench seat shortened to 2 seats. The challenge is that you need the two outside legs since they lock. So cutting off the end seat was not an option. Also, the middle seat is wider than the two outside ones to accommodate seat belts. So what I did was cut the middle out. I measured over 1-1/4" from each leg and put a piece of blue tape as a cut line. I started the cuts with a cutoff wheel, and followed them up with a sawzall. I wont cover disassembly, but the cover just unsnaps from all the little wire like pieces. I cut those as well, trying to preserve their wholeness as much as possible for reassembly.

IMG_0710.JPG

Now, this is where I had a learning moment. If you look at the picture above, you can see that on the drivers side of the bench, on the front rail, they sleeved that piece into the rest of the seat. If I had been careful, I could have used a cutoff wheel and preserved this sleeve and saved a step down the road. By preserve it, I mean only cut the outer most tube. Again, I cut 1-1/4" over from the furthest drivers side leg and ended up cutting off about 3" of that inner sleeve.

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

Moving on, I got some tubing at my local metal supplier and proceeded to sleeve the two pieces together. I used 1-3/4" round tubing inserted into the rear lower tube, and it was a perfect fit. I cut a 12" piece so I had 6" on either side and drilled holes in the bench to rosette weld it in place. Now keep in mind that I can weld, but I am not a welder and had the guidance of a friend to complete this.

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

goldihop

The back was more of the same. More drilling, more rosettes. The nice thing about the back is that it unbolts from the base. The other nice thing is that the top tube accepted a standard size of tubing, while the bottom was a little loose, but manageable. The base was such a tight fit that we were able to mock it up, take it out and tack it together, test a fit and then final weld everything. The seat release bracket was relocated and is working as it would. The welds were primed and I will start reassembly tomorrow. The upholstery will get taken to a local shop, unless that proves to be prohibitively expensive, in which case I will give it a stab. Stay tuned for the finished product.

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

64739725047__4C908467-418E-4858-A133-90BC054EEBD7.JPG

goldihop

Fast forward 2 weeks and I have a seat! Took it to a shop I’ve used before and they hummed and hawed over it and went on and on about what a tricky project it was. They quoted me $700. Took it to another shop that said no problem, give me two weeks and $250. That’s more like it. Week and a half later I had my seat and it looks great. Don’t mind the red primer, I need to touch up some of the spots from the fabrication of the frame. Overall, happy camper. Used Duran’s upholstery in Soquel.

Attachments

Boochy

nice job, one question, could you have unbolted the bench seat locks from the pass side leg and moved them to the middle leg? I am looking to do the same thing and noticed the middle leg has bolt holes and cut outs that seem to be made for the locking mechanism..

goldihop

You can not. It is really close, and I tried to do that in the first place because it would make it really easy to just chop off the last seat. There are some differences and those differences are welded into place and would be very difficult to switch and maintain the integrity of the seat.

directedbydon

Do you know how you removed the seatbelts? My center one is broken and I need to replace it. Unsure of how to remove the rear and shoulder trim

goldihop

Do you know how you removed the seatbelts? My center one is broken and I need to replace it. Unsure of how to remove the rear and shoulder trim
I don't remember off the top of my head. I might have had to unzip the seat cover to get to it. It was all pretty intuitive from what I remember.

Top Bottom