2021 Revel Mods

smittylube

I've posted a couple mods so far. I think I'll consolidate to this one going forward.
Today I removed the floor pads, kick panel and steps to install sounds proofing/ Kilmat. The Kilmat I bought is the 50/50 from amazon. After opening ip the step and removing the floor rubbers I found a few patches already installed and painted over. very typical for car manufacturers to install just a strip on the inside of door panel to curtail the harmonics of a panel. I found the stock pieces about 50ml thick so I figure mine would be adequate.
I ran the Kilmat in the places the factory did not, all the way up to the upper strut mounts. I also added some Boom mat under carpet lite in the inside of the kick panels and a decent strip between the step and cab on the drivers side. Did not do it on the passenger side due to the jack storage, however I stuck some Kilmat on the inside of the access door for the jack. I took a short drive and I feel it definitely is quieter, worth the time and effort so far. Next the front door speakers and door mods. Kilmat/ Boom mat.
If you look close you can see the factory installed Mercedes version of the Kilmat.

Attachments

smittylube

Additionally I bought the CA vans replacement table. While it is smaller than the stock one it stores much more conveniently, and looks nice as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

smittylube

This step they sell is pretty good to have also. But beware, mine needed some holes drilled in the right location. I received mine and the holes were not even on both sides. I took some time and corrected this before I installed it and IMO it functions easier as it should. If you watch the CA vans install video he just slams it in has to hit it to fold it down. I wanted mine to function smoothly and it does. I am planning a mod to make the release easier as well.

Attachments

smittylube

There are many options for step bumpers and steps. I chose this one in hopes that if I ram my shin into it then it won't hurt too bad.
The plastic non skid is nice and a bit flex, but I figured in a month the sides would look crappy so I stuck some tread on the ends. It comes with a bolt and nut to attach it, but it fits like all other hitches and has some play. I took some heat shrink and tape and after a few fitting attempts was able to get to not wobble or move much when you step on it. The height is perfect for entry and exit.
From Amazon about $65 delivered.

Attachments

Last edited:

smittylube

Front speaker exchange, dynamite equivalent and boom mat in the doors. There is absolutely no sound insulation whatsoever. Initially I was skeptical about the door panel and lack of a hole for the speaker into the metal of the door, but I found they did a somewhat of a design having an enclosure for the speaker. So I kilmatted around the 'speaker box', then added a sheet of 'boom mat' insulation. This has to have a dramatic drop in sound driving. When I completed one side I cranked it up and went balance side to side and it was a very noticeable improvement. I only replaced the door speaker with the JBL 608c that is a separates set. for me it sounds far better. Time will tell if more changes will be done. I also used the adapter from Hien. the speaker fit the panel almost perfectly, but I liked using the ring to sandwich the speaker using the stock screws. the outer ring of the speaker has a rubber ring that fit perfect into the ring of the door panel. 100% worth the effort.

And for other Revel owners, the side and back doors are packed with dark foam like 2" so I did not see a need for kilmat in those.

Attachments

Last edited:

smittylube

Ok took it out for test spin and I'm over the top ecstatic on the improvement. Freeway driving is crazy quiet now. Barely hear the engine, Bumps are muffled better than before. Accelerating onto the freeway is 1/2 the volume or better. I can't say enough about this upgrade. Worth every cent and hour spent.
Do this and the footwells, floor areas. you will thank yourself.
Tint for the windows next.

Last edited:

smittylube

Some other items I've addressed are adding the foil bubble insulation to the insides of the cabinets to keep items from rattling while driving.
Also added adhesive foam weatherstrip to the edged of the doors and drawers to keep them from rattling. Anti skid on the bottom of the drawers and pantry areas along with the fridge shelves. I don't always have the fridge packed and the few things we leave in all the time like to roll around. Recently bought the expandable rods to go across the front of the shelves in the fridge. Not 100% sure if I will like them yet.

Also this- Bamboo Floor for the bathroom

The pantry only comes with 3 shelves. some people get the shoe storage to add more shelves. I bought a white melamine shelf from the LHS and cut 2 myself, then added aluminum angle (iron ?) front to mimic the stock shelves and hopefully keep things from falling out when I open the door

smittylube

added Kilmat to the passenger seat base storage / threw the lug wrench and stock lug bolts in as well all wrapped in felt so they don't rattle

smittylube

Dash looks 100% better with more storage. Looks like a dash should. Easily swapped, Plastic nuts already installed for these glove boxes. I guess the Revel started off as the base model. Under the cavity panel was carpeted insulation mat, I put some dynamite on the backside just for rattle/squeak protection. Maybe it will help it run quieter as well.

Attachments

Last edited:

smittylube

Someone spotted my phone mount so I'll mention that as well.
That is an aluminum angle 'iron'? I flattened (almost) and used double sided tape. I kept flattening it till the contour matched both sides close. I tried to cover it with my carbon fiber wrap, but it didn’t want to stay. Phone mount is just the ac vent type. (Could not find one to work in these vents.)
I'm thinking about maybe making something to fit into the new cup holder location and end up where it is now. It’s the perfect location IMO, no heat from the vent, some support from the dash so the phone doesn’t rattle or bounce around, as well it doesn't push forward when I push the home button. Yes old school phone not face recognition. See picture 2 posts up.

Top Bottom