Splitting your Auxiliary line for espar heater

Orrmn

I have recently purchased the D2 heater with the sprinter kit to attach it to my auxiliary diesel connector directly to my fuel tank. my 2019 Sprinter that has come with a cold weather package integrated heater that is already hooked up to this auxiliary line. Does anyone have any good solutions for hooking up the D2 to the same auxiliary line? Should I just purchase a T fuel connector and split the fuel line after the connector?

Thank you in advance!

lindenengineering

You can BUT--we have seen incidences of the two heater fighting themselves for fuel supply causing one to abruptly cut out.
Of late we have been doing a roaring trade separating the two heaters such as you are contemplating but installing a new stand pipe for the addition unit.
Decision Decisions & making the "right" decisions
Dennis

Orrmn

I have recently purchased the D2 heater with the sprinter kit to attach it to my auxiliary diesel connector directly to my fuel tank. my 2019 Sprinter that has come with a cold weather package integrated heater that is already hooked up to this auxiliary line. Does anyone have any good solutions for hooking up the D2 to the same auxiliary line? Should I just purchase a T fuel connector and split the fuel line after the connector?

Thank you in advance!
Thanks for the quick response! I am actually doing this install for a friend and want to make sure he has no issues down the line. As long as he doesn't run both heaters at the same time he should be good correct?

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
You can BUT--we have seen incidences of the two heater fighting themselves for fuel supply causing one to abruptly cut out.
Of late we have been doing a roaring trade separating the two heaters such as you are contemplating but installing a new stand pipe for the addition unit.
Decision Decisions & making the "right" decisions
Dennis
What does your installation involve? I certainly will need to use both heaters at the same time.

JohnnyYukon

The fuel fired booster only runs when the engine is on and I assume more Espar d2 use is when the vehicle is parked - no conflict.

I am finding that the floor vents (center between front seats and on the drivers side behind the front seat) don't produce any heat though.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4

Thank you in advance!
I have run my factory auxiliary D5 and a D2 at the same time without issue. The factory auxiliary fuel line is substantially larger than the tiny fuel line that feeds my D2. The fuel flow for both the D5 and the D2 are relatively small, as in ounces per hour, even at full load. Many forum members have similar installations like mine, just search the forum for Dorman fuel T-connector.

Last edited:

B_rad

I use both my factory auxiliary heater and my Espar heater a lot since our winter is late Oct to mid March here. I’ve had the van through two winters without an issue. The Espar is installed under the passenger seat and it connected to the factory aux heater fuel line with a T connector. It has never had any problems pulling enough fuel for the connecton but like they said earlier I really never run both at the same time. I usually run my factory aux heater at start up when it’s really cold and I need the boost to defrost the windows. After the engine warms up I usually turn it off for the rest of the day. I only use my Espar heater when the car is off and parked for chillin’ or camping.

lindenengineering

I have run my factory auxiliary D5 and a D2 at the same time without issue. The factory auxiliary fuel line is substantially larger than the tiny fuel line that feeds my D2. The fuel flow for both the D5 and the D2 are relatively small, as in ounces per hour, even at full load. Many forum members have similar installations like mine, just search the forum for Dorman fuel T-connector.

Yes I know , but like I stated we do a roaring trade putting right these heating system installed and when the don't run right.
To emphasize the point we on Friday past fixed a new Espar heater installed in camper body mounted on a GMC truck , yes another one!
The professional installer claimed they had never encountered issues like cutting out ever!
Boiled down the heater wasn't wired correctly ,and to find it we had to pull up all the bonded carpet to expose the harness .

Condensed as I said once upon time to an Iraqi mechanic working on a bus with no stands & a bottle jack. This can fall on you!
He replied God Willing No Mister .
Yes Ali but put your head in the lion's mouth too many times and it will bite your head off.

Equally the manufacturers ADVISE using a stand pipe in these situations on factory install certification courses.
You can follow their recommendations or not its your choice.
Dennis

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
From what I see, the factory tank pipe is at least 4 times bigger than the small tubing the heaters use, so IMHO a big Tee installed at tank should give plenty of fuel to 2 heaters.
Knowing the life, the most common trouble with diesel lines, are leaks on vacuum side, where air enters and heaters don't run on air.

Top Bottom