Daimler AG to pay $1.5B to settle emissions cheating - 2010 through 2016 Sprinter vans with “BlueTEC II” diesel engines

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
If you have access to an Star diagnostic system or a clone, it is also very easy to print out your entire regeneration history. Sometimes looking at the big picture is informative.

And if you don't, perhaps your dealer would print you one for a "modest" fee.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
Pending emission related fault codes

Address 7E8: 1 Fault Found:
P2201 - NOx Sensor 1 Bank 1: Implausible Signal

I was headed up a good hill in the Shenandoah National Park when the check engine light came to visit.

I reset the code, looked up an online price,

Remembered the fix will come with new NOX sensors and more warranty coverage. With the reduced COVID travel plans, we should be able to make it till the fix comes to the local dealership.

(WINNING!)

Last edited:

Hsdace

Went to dealer today for check engine light. Only want 6800 to fix emissions. If I pay they won’t pay me back under the recall. Reset code told to limit driving so countdown clock doesn’t start. Still have to pay on loan and insurance.....but have to limit van . What a bunch of bs.

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
My 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI is SCR and uses DEF, in fact the dealer uses AdBlue same as Mercedes. Mine was a buyback car, sat in a field in CA for 18 months and I bought it with 26K on it, at 42K (mi) now not a lick of trouble and all kinds of fun to drive, plus it runs on chump change. Just curious about people saying the Bluetec emission system is different from the VW system. Maybe the older ones but I don't see any difference in the newer models.
On the other hand my Sprinter chassis is a 2010 and I am thinking the modifications and the added emissions warranty may be beneficial to me. On the TDI I got 11 years from first sold date or 162K mi.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Went to dealer today for check engine light. Only want 6800 to fix emissions. If I pay they won’t pay me back under the recall. Reset code told to limit driving so countdown clock doesn’t start. Still have to pay on loan and insurance.....but have to limit van . What a bunch of bs.
My 2013 had emission issues which cost us almost $5K last year on the route home from the round trip from Oregon to Key West. Upon returning home we realized that we had an active 7/70 California Emission warranty which was not honored by the disingenuous MB dealer in Midland Texas. The chain of letters including Daimler folks in Stuttgart Germany “empowered” US MB to force the Alderson dealer in Midland to return our money in full.

Hsdace

My 2013 had emission issues which cost us almost $5K last year on the route home from the round trip from Oregon to Key West. Upon returning home we realized that we had an active 7/70 California Emission warranty which was not honored by the disingenuous MB dealer in Midland Texas. The chain of letters including Daimler folks in Stuttgart Germany “empowered” US MB to force the Alderson dealer in Midland to return our money in full.
My wife talked to service advisor last night and brought up the fact that when we bought van 1.5 tears ago that they replaced def can before we signed. 3000 on that. And we feel MB and dealerships knew about this issue coming back and biting them in the rear and they kept it to themselves.Very disappointing since this is my 3rd MB. Dealer advisor stated to my wife that if countdown clock started he will have van fixed. A stand up thing to do......very disappointed with MB.

Dzler

Another way to look at is with a little patience you’ll save on a expensive repair, get a very good extended warranty on the emissions equipment and $3k cash for your troubles.

Hsdace

Hard to tell wife to limit starts and try to not use van until this is resolved.Went dealership this AM and they said MB corporate doesn’t tell them everything. My response was that execs knew what they did .Aware of issues and didn’t disclose an emission problem 1.5 years ago. Trust is a big issue here.o_O

Dzler

Hard to tell wife to limit starts and try to not use van until this is resolved.Went dealership this AM and they said MB corporate doesn’t tell them everything. My response was that execs knew what they did .Aware of issues and didn’t disclose an emission problem 1.5 years ago. Trust is a big issue here.o_O
I don’t trust them at all. They cheated on diesel emissions and got caught as did VAG and several other manufacturers. The origins of the pending MB settlement go back to...”The lawsuit was originally brought against Mercedes in 2016 in the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey by the Hagens Berman, Carella and Seeger firms that helped to achieve the $14.7 billion Volkswagen Dieselgate settlement.”

From my experience with the VAG settlement, warranty, etc I do trust the settlement (once approved) does a decent job compensating owners and covering repairs on expensive emissions equipment in a more comprehensive way for much longer than any original warranty. If you can get over the shock “I’ve been cheated and lied too!” and be patient things will improve. Or you can sell your desirable Sprinter and buy a gas Transit ?

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
From my experience with the VAG settlement, warranty, etc I do trust the settlement (once approved) does a decent job compensating owners and covering repairs on expensive emissions equipment in a more comprehensive way for much longer than any original warranty.
The VW warranty was incredible but it looks like the Mercedes warranty won't be as generous. I'll still welcome it though.

Dzler

The MB extended emissions warranty is very similar to VAG one (not surprisingly since it’s same law firm). GREATER of 10 year/120k initial sale or 4 year/48k from modification. It includes not only emissions components but also turbo, injectors, cylinder heads timing chain. Not quite the “engine long block” provision in the VAG warranty..

Bummer the compensation is only about 1/3...

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The proffered warranty is just fine, and I'm sure it will be honored. The problem is that it does nothing to prevent the constant spoiled trips. Maybe the associated vehicle updates will do so, but I doubt it.

Dzler

The proffered warranty is just fine, and I'm sure it will be honored. The problem is that it does nothing to prevent the constant spoiled trips. Maybe the associated vehicle updates will do so, but I doubt it.
The emissions modifications will cause the systems to work harder and do what they were originally supposed to. I see no conceivable way you could expect LESS maintenance or repair. That said I’m 35k into a emissions modified Audi and have not experienced anything out of the ordinary (150k on original DPF, SCR tank, etc).

Top Bottom