First oil change, ouch

Just got my 20k maintenance at MB of Littleton CO for $350. The additional 500 would be if you do the fuel filter and more checks. They told me that they have been waiting till 40K to do fuel filters and then every 20k after that. I think their logic was that brand new tank.....not really needed so I skipped. They dont take Costco parts/service coupon there but Westminster does. (Denver CO Sprinter service shops). $200 in parts with fuel filter and 3 hrs?? of checks. The only thing that justifies is a Sprinter mechanic is giving it a once over while dealer charges you close to $200 per mechanic hour. They did 9 of my 9 recalls I had piled up. Overall pretty satisfied (while knowing it was going to be $850 every 2 years or so......)

Just got my 20k maintenance at MB of Littleton CO for $350. The additional 500 would be if you do the fuel filter and more checks. They told me that they have been waiting till 40K to do fuel filters and then every 20k after that. I think their logic was that brand new tank.....not really needed so I skipped. They dont take Costco parts/service coupon there but Westminster does. (Denver CO Sprinter service shops). $200 in parts with fuel filter and 3 hrs?? of checks. The only thing that justifies is a Sprinter mechanic is giving it a once over while dealer charges you close to $200 per mechanic hour. They did 9 of my 9 recalls I had piled up. Overall pretty satisfied (while knowing it was going to be $850 every 2 years or so......)

They just posted coupons. https://www.mercedesoflittleton.com/sprinter-service-specials.html $330 and $730 respectively

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I would be interested in $350 fuel filter change and having the airbag recall, going to dealer might be good option.
But must be my bad luck, none of Las Vegas dealers have the offer.
They do have 20% off for Saturday service thought.

Dobovedo

Thanks for the info. We're in Berkeley Lake and I had been debating whether to go to Littleton or Westminster for service. Only 5k on our 2019, so not in need of regular service yet, but we're wondering about the recalls and have a few minor complaints we're deciding if we care enough to have dealth with (mostly squeaks and rattles in the sliding door and the crazy heated seat cabling that makes the swivel seats worthless).

coss370

I peeked under the seat today. The seat recall they made was a disaster. I ended up doing it myself. I am not going back to these guys. If I am going to be paying for $700, I might as well get good service

brianzoh

We're in Berkeley Lake and I had been debating whether to go to Littleton or Westminster for service
Neat. I'm that area as well, Tennyson and 44th area.

I had one appt in Westminster when I first got my van ... I'll drive to the seventh ring of Hell for service before going back.

I have an appointment in Littleton in a week for all the recall work, first oil change. I'm told to expect a much better experience. Here's hoping!

126v8

Neat. I'm that area as well, Tennyson and 44th area.

I had one appt in Westminster when I first got my van ... I'll drive to the seventh ring of Hell for service before going back.

I have an appointment in Littleton in a week for all the recall work, first oil change. I'm told to expect a much better experience. Here's hoping!
Westminster service sucks?

TrailTaxi

Thanks for the information folks. Our 2019/2020 MB is currently at that local (San Diego MB) commercial van shop getting it's 20K service. Along with the oil change they are going to do an MPI but not the fuel filter -- the total is $256.63. They were pretty cool about other work and talking me out of other items that I though it may have needed -- like alignment. The Tec asked if the steering wheel is centered, if it stops straight and how the tire wear looks and said that the alignment was expensive and we probably did not need one. I spent about 45 minutes asking him other sprinter questions and he was very nice to answer everything with a smile. He may have been thinking "will this guy ever shut up" but never showed it (-; I also mentioned how much better the vehicle shifts in and out of 4X4 after the last SW update and he was happy about that.

sanomechanic

Thanks for the information folks. Our 2019/2020 MB is currently at that local (San Diego MB) commercial van shop getting it's 20K service. Along with the oil change they are going to do an MPI but not the fuel filter -- the total is $256.63. They were pretty cool about other work and talking me out of other items that I though it may have needed -- like alignment. The Tec asked if the steering wheel is centered, if it stops straight and how the tire wear looks and said that the alignment was expensive and we probably did not need one. I spent about 45 minutes asking him other sprinter questions and he was very nice to answer everything with a smile. He may have been thinking "will this guy ever shut up" but never showed it (-; I also mentioned how much better the vehicle shifts in and out of 4X4 after the last SW update and he was happy about that.
I too had a very good experience at San Diego

FourWheelers1987

A 2017 2500 144” Crew 4x4 High
Hello Fellow Members,
I enjoy driving my 2017 2500 4x4. I'm due for my 60,000 mile Service A knowing hourly costs and parts are a "premium" part of the M-B experience. Thanks to Roger's (Sailquik) recommendation, I've had a very positive purchase and service relationship with the good folks at nearby Sun Motors in Mechanicsville, PA.
Alas, we've moved temporarily and I'm searching for service integrity and value in Southern California.

I keep all my scheduled maintenance and repair invoices (and perform my own oil changes roughly every 7-9,000 mi.).
After consulting them, and the Maintenance Booklet, I've received 2 estimates for a Service A from local Sprinter dealers.
One is "without oil change" the other with.

Question:
Does the 60,000 mi. Service A repeat everything from the 20,000 mile "A"?
Also, which dealer Sanomechanic and TrailTaxi, are you recommending in San Diego?

I'm attaching my PA 40,000 mile invoice, an official dealer's estimate sheet in SoCal and another SoCal dealer's text estimate.
Note: I'll forgo the AD BLUE service as well. I top off regularly. I'll most likely opt for the brake fluid exchange as well.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me navigate my 1st M-B ownership experience in the past, the sharing of information on s-s.com has been invaluable.

Attachments

sanomechanic

Hello Fellow Members,
I enjoy driving my 2017 2500 4x4. I'm due for my 60,000 mile Service A knowing hourly costs and parts are a "premium" part of the M-B experience. Thanks to Roger's (Sailquik) recommendation, I've had a very positive purchase and service relationship with the good folks at nearby Sun Motors in Mechanicsville, PA.
Alas, we've moved temporarily and I'm searching for service integrity and value in Southern California.

I keep all my scheduled maintenance and repair invoices (and perform my own oil changes roughly every 7-9,000 mi.).
After consulting them, and the Maintenance Booklet, I've received 2 estimates for a Service A from local Sprinter dealers.

Question:
Also, which dealer Sanomechanic and TrailTaxi, are you recommending in San Diego?

I'm attaching my PA 40,000 mile invoice, an official dealer's estimate sheet in SoCal and another SoCal dealer's text estimate.
Note: I'll forgo the AD BLUE service as well. I top off regularly. I'll most likely opt for the brake fluid exchange as well.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me navigate my 1st M-B ownership experience in the past, the sharing of information on s-s.com has been invaluable.
750 KEARNY MESA RD, SAN DIEGO, CA 92111
SERVICE: CALL SERVICE PHONE NUMBER(888) 636-2341 | SALES: CALL SALES PHONE NUMBER(833) 275-9841 | PARTS: CALL PARTS PHONE NUMBER(888) 636-2344

sanomechanic

Hello Fellow Members,

Question:

That's one expensive air filter and the brake fluid price is off the charts. Here is the price on 1 litre of Factory Super DOT 4 and a OEM brand air filter.
The dealer never includes the operation code called wallet flush

https://www.amazon.com/Pentosin-1204116-Super-Brake-Fluid/dp/B007PCQCIU

bigb

2011 Winnebago Via 25Q on 2010 3500 Tucson, AZ
I find the fuel filter pretty high. Even at the MB retail price which is what $125 that's still over $300 in labor for a 20-30 min job? I know they need the money to keep up those dealerships but it just seems crazy to me. If you aren't interested in DIY I would look for an Indy shop, unless you have an endless stream of money. Getting it done at a MB dealership does NOT necessarily mean you will receive the best of workmanship over the Indy, in fact I have found the opposite to be true depending on the dealership.

Last edited:

Taylor Marine

I spent $140 and did my first oil change myself. Installed a Fumoto drain valve so next time it will be even easier. I've been using Fumoto valves since 2004 and never had an issue, The odds of having the valve opening itself or be struck by something are not a concern.... I've got about 800,000 miles driven on Fumoto equipped vehicles with not one issue. One thing I must say is that the Sprinter oil pan is cast aluminum... Punching a hole through it would be pretty easy compared to a stamped steel pan. I'll most likely fit a skid plate someday. The new SX series valves are nice as you can keep it tucked up and away when not being used.
IMG_0720.jpg

mountainneer74

My 2019 170 extended length Sprinter doesn't have a dip stick---so not able to easily look at the oil. Like other diesels I have owned, does this oil turn dark black? I changed mine at 15K since it was over a year old. Interesting it didn't use any oil. Did I wait too long??
Agree with others about how easy it is on a Sprinter to change the oil. 45 minutes start to finish including transferring the old oil
into a pail ready to take to my local recycle center. No mess, too! I would have spent more time going to and from the dealer. My total cost was $140---think the oil alone was about $10/liter

Taylor Marine

My 2019 170 extended length Sprinter doesn't have a dip stick
If you have the color center display cluster.... The oil level is displayed in the "Service" menu. I do prefer a actual dipstick which is one of the first things I purchased for my 2020. $29 from TerraWagen. It fits all OM642 V6 diesels. And yes.... The oil gets black, Very black just as any Diesel engine with an EGR system.... Totally normal.

Last edited:

cvo

I have noticed that of the Four V6 Sprinter that I have purchased they don't burn oil. So why do you need a dip stick when you can trust the electronic reading?

I bought the PPM to 100K, but I do the in-between oil changes and it cost $192 at the dealer.

81duck

Just had A Service and Fuel Filter done at MBZ of Eugene, Oregon

A Service - $340.57 (Labor $208, Parts $131). I laughed that they charged me $12 for DEF and $6.50 for windshield fluid, both of which were practically full and I had in my van at the time of service.
Fuel Filter - $434.32 ( Labor $151, Parts 281.63)

The total for both were pretty close to the service schedule/pricing that was given to me when I purchased the van.

They told me fuel filter has to be replaced annually or Warranty could be voided. Something about water in diesel fuel.

My van had just under 12k on it at the time and had been on the road 13 months

Really looking forward to the 2yr/40k service which is $2130. My van will maybe have 20-25k on it at that point. So $3k in service for the first 25k miles. I guess lubricating the trailer hitch and the door hinges is really difficult and you have to use MBZ grease!

Top Bottom