Here goes! My build thread to sleep a family of 9 (!!!) in a 2020 170" 4x4

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
Thanks @vanski for handling the Espar heater install!!! Ordered from Heatso; arrived from GB in one day. Amazing!

28317CA3-2A2A-4BBE-B3A2-49746EDF3033.jpegDB0829DA-B1D7-42E0-ABEC-1FE27C177B36.jpegDEAAE370-A07C-4628-BCFD-8DA9848C83D1.jpeg5FAA8E10-6215-4FBC-BFCB-A83EBA533DAD.jpeg

vanski

If it’s winter, I’m probably skiing..
Thanks Daniel. I’m happy with how it all turned out. For the record, those pics were pics I took before it was all properly mounted and properly wired in; I was just sending some progress shots and I guess I didn’t send a final. Anyhow, the S2 fits nicely allowing another battery in there and for the battery and/or heater to be easily removed if needed.

For folks at home, there was a potential alternative mounting option allowing the OEM battery holder to remain in place instead of using other mounting solutions, such as removing the holder and using ratchet straps as I did. Hypothetically the mounting plate which comes with many of the kits could have been cut a bit and then mounted on the battery holder from the factory. Then of course 2x holes for the exhaust and intake in the floor.. I/we didn’t go this route because the idea was a bit half baked in my head around how to keep debris such as paper or whatever from entering into the area around the exhaust creating a potential fire hazard. Understood the risk is very low of a fire occurring in that manner but I just wasn’t going to risk it nor was it in scope to run around to find insulators for the exhaust pipe or build something around it. ..Thought I’d let the community know of an alternative mounting method allowing the factory mounting bracket to remain in place.

should also be noted I think only the S2 can be used with a battery under the pass seat as the old d2, definitely Webasto, Planar, and Chinese units are too large.

sbpoint

Agree with Vanski. The S2 does provide more space. Put this together last week and everything fit quite nicely.
1FFF36F0-7375-466C-8E26-8C7C270ABEC4.jpeg

sbpoint

Better monitor temps in there... Lithium and inverters don't like high heat.
Absolutely. They don't like cold either. The beauty of the heater in there with everything allows you to run a fan only and pull cabin air through the space to help keep everything cool if it is blazing hot. I'll only have the 100ah battery for the van and not really planning to work it hard with heater/hotplates ex. We'll see. I do have a temp monitor in there with a battery that will shut down automatically and the MPPT monitoring. I've not seen temp spike on the charging side yet at 40amps.

Worth noting, so far running the heater for over an hour did not seem to raise the box temp significanly. I added 2 more layers of exhaust insulation and then have the immediate exhaust area insulated with thinsulate suspended but not touching.

I wired up the s2 with a manual switch to the starter battery if it's really cold and the lithium is a no go. That way I can heat up the van and battery in sub zero.

I'll report back if I end up having issues or see high temps. I didn't initially plan to set it up this way but when everything fit I went with it.

vanski

Absolutely. They don't like cold either. The beauty of the heater in there with everything allows you to run a fan only and pull cabin air through the space to help keep everything cool if it is blazing hot. I'll only have the 100ah battery for the van and not really planning to work it hard with heater/hotplates ex. We'll see. I do have a temp monitor in there with a battery that will shut down automatically and the MPPT monitoring. I've not seen temp spike on the charging side yet at 40amps.

Worth noting, so far running the heater for over an hour did not seem to raise the box temp significanly. I added 2 more layers of exhaust insulation and then have the immediate exhaust area insulated with thinsulate suspended but not touching.

I wired up the s2 with a manual switch to the starter battery if it's really cold and the lithium is a no go. That way I can heat up the van and battery in sub zero.

I'll report back if I end up having issues or see high temps. I didn't initially plan to set it up this way but when everything fit I went with it.
seems pretty logical to me... nice that the heater warms up the LFP batts a bit when you’re running it, which happens to be when it’s cold. Wonder if it could potentially alleviate need for a battery warming circuit for LFP all together.?.?.? The real test would be when it’s south of -20f outside..

I will say you may have an issue with the inverter in there. Maybe. I’ve seen inverters in well ventilated areas take a dump in temps over 103f or so. Expensive units; Xantrex and the like. Perhaps there’s a way to have a servo actuated door which opens under the seat to allow cool air from under the vehicle to be circulated in.. of course if you’re on hot black pavement it could do quite the opposite...

atomicx6637

@drodio do you have pictures of the finished floor yet? I'm curious how you are going to get seating for 9 in the van and maximize the space. Right now I have a 12 passenger van and I'm still planning on floor and seating options.

vanski

I also went with Lonseal. Loncommodore Sharkskin! Just arrived Thursday. Part of me wanted to go with coin but after working on a bunch of Outside Van rigs I’ve found the rough texture in the coin is very hard to get/keep clean..

now the question is... do I go through with my vision for hydronic radiant floor heating? Really adds a lot of complexity to the flooring. Will need to drop the fuel tank. At least the tank is empty right now. So many wants!

Hope CR isn’t getting hit with Covid like we are..

@atomicx6637 I don’t have the Lonseal down yet but the smartfloor is in. This post has some pictures of the floor with the rails: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/89458/post-949947 . Seats haven’t arrived yet. I’ll post on that when they do.

I’m traveling in Costa Rica through EOY but will continue the build in Jan!
How did you get the installer for the Smart Floor to add rails on either side of the wheel well? The installer I've been working with said we cannot add rails forward nor aft of the wheel wheels, only between them. The installer I've been working with is TourRig in Golden, CO.

Sorry, one more question for you:

I see that you have a crew van. Did you remove the airbags above the crew bench on both sides of the van?

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
There are weight classes, etc., that exclude large vans from the standard passenger vehicle class.

No Sprinters have airbags except for driver and front passenger.

Similarly, class A & C RVs are in yet another class, and aren't required 3-point belts in the rear.

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
How did you get the installer for the Smart Floor to add rails on either side of the wheel well? The installer I've been working with said we cannot add rails forward nor aft of the wheel wheels, only between them. The installer I've been working with is TourRig in Golden, CO.
@TransitVansit probably depends on the installer. I’ve got a whole story to tell about that but I will save it for a separate post. The TLDR is that I tried to fit four seats across and it doesn’t work. Three is really the max number of seats that will fit across.

Top Bottom