Sprinter 4x4 Wheels

MTBiker787

Asking here as it seems is where all the good knowledge on wheels and tires is in the forum...

I'm getting my van (4x4 VS30 fully outfitted) soon and its coming with 18-in wheels. I'm moving to 17s (275/70 or 265/70) or 16s (265/75) on Havasus rims 38 offsets.

Question: Is the ride performance trade-off of riding on the highway going from 17s to 16s still worth the move to 16s to have better off road performance/options? Main use of the van will be camping outings with family on any trails that allows us...so riding on the road is mostly a mean to an end...

On tires, going Wildpeaks if 16s or 17s 265s or BFKO2s if going 17s 275s.

ackhack17

"I need a taller tire to to fit the wheel well from a looks perspective" - mtstpipier.

My build took a huge step towards reality today,...and so I dumped the Premium Appearance Package,...but kept: F46 Headlamp Cleaning system, and LG0 Bi-Xenon Headlamps.

Thus,...will be hoping to see how others consider the "looks perspective."

By the way mtstpipier,..that's a sweet looking ride you have there. I ordered the standard roof,...and plan on immediately getting a Sportsmobile penthouse (just my personal preference).
LG0 Bi-Xenon Headlamps. You will find this will be the best or one of the best up grades you will make. Yes its expensive b u will see 4 to 600 yards out on a dark night. It makes a triangle pattern which is great!

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Van compass stage 6 lift with 285/75-17 on York’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6” lift?(!) yikes! Have rollout ladders at each door to get in? Training wheels that deploy on off camber terrain?
Seriously though, Looks dope. just wondering how useable other than going straight over objects, and any mods required on the drive train due to the increase shaft angle?

MotoXPress

6” lift?(!) yikes! Have rollout ladders at each door to get in? Training wheels that deploy on off camber terrain?
Seriously though, Looks dope. just wondering how useable other than going straight over objects, and any mods required on the drive train due to the increase shaft angle?
Stage 6 which is 2" I believe - not 6" lift ;-)

John Bosson

Hi all - just purchased a 2009 sprinter 4x4 - been trawling through this thread and see that the widest tyres without additional lift are 285's - has anyone banded their std steel wheels and how far should I go? Thinking 10" wide. - looking for that really wide wheel look.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Hi all - just purchased a 2009 sprinter 4x4 - been trawling through this thread and see that the widest tyres without additional lift are 285's - has anyone banded their std steel wheels and how far should I go? Thinking 10" wide. - looking for that really wide wheel look.
You purchased a 2009 Sprinter 4x4? Really.
Custom or just a formerly top secret model?
Well hey either way that's awesome, you won’t have any of the tire fit issues 2019+ have
?
Van Compass tire size guide:

John Bosson

You purchased a 2009 Sprinter 4x4? Really.
Custom or just a formerly top secret model?
Well hey either way that's awesome, you won’t have any of the tire fit issues 2019+ have
?
Van Compass tire size guide:

Top secret model? I've seen the van compass guide - the question is about wheel banding to 10 inches - not covered in that guide.

OffroadHamster

What exactly is wheel banding to 10 inches?

Rocksnsalt - Think he is outside the US, likely UK somewhere, availability of 4wd sprinters there stretches further back than 2015.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
What exactly is wheel banding to 10 inches?

Rocksnsalt - Think he is outside the US, likely UK somewhere, availability of 4wd sprinters there stretches further back than 2015.
DOH!! ??‍♂ALLLLLrighty then, that explains a lot. My apologies to John Bosson.
Re wheel banding:

Ya I guess I just don’t get why one would go through all that expense and hassle vs just buying proper wheels. Maybe it’s that some like the properties of steel vs alloy for off road (bend vs break). Or maybe they like the extra weight, reduced mpg, and reduced braking power from more rolling mass. But I suppose I’m missing something, and to each their own. All good. ✌?

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
Top secret model? I've seen the van compass guide - the question is about wheel banding to 10 inches - not covered in that guide.
DOH! I was not aware Sprinter 4x4’s were available earlier than 2015 accross the pond. Figures, Europe always gets the cool stuff before US. Sorry for my ignorance, Please accept my humble apologies.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
John,

So are you in Glasgow or is that where the van came from? (Going by the registration plate letters).

Keith.

Top Bottom