Feature request: please make DZ posts editable

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
I'd like to formally request that the forum admins and moderators consider making the posts in the DZ subforum editable and/or deletable so that members can edit/delete their own posts

I understand that this is possible with the current forum software. If it is undesirable for members to be able to edit/delete their own DZ posts, please help me understand why.

Personally I'd think that it is useful for old posts in the rest of the general forums (with the exception of Classifieds?) to remain immutable (after the initial edit period of 24 hours) in order to provide a searchable topical body of knowledge to future readers.

I don't think anyone would consider the DZ contents a body of knowledge though :)

If there are other reasons against this request, I'd love to understand them.

Thanks for your consideration!

K-9 SPRINTER

I think the 24 hrs is plenty of time...to edit your post, for spelling, dead links ,etc
I think the 24 hrs is plenty of time...to edit your post, even if you realized that your were an IDIOT in posting your comment in the 1st place.
Everyone ... including the internet warriors... hiding behind their keyboards... needs to be accountable for their actionsFB_IMG_1602453105166.jpg

Last edited:

flman

Roadrunner, Genius of Birds ALWAYS WINS! NO FAILS!
If you are dumb enough to state it, you should suffer the consequences of your actions. It's not required that you post in the DZ.

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
If you are dumb enough to state it, you should suffer the consequences of your actions. It's not required that you post in the DZ.
What consequences do you have in mind?

With the usual topics of the DZ (politics, religion, sex, personal attacks, innuendos, banter, ...) I'd be in favor of everyone having a chance to 1) change their own perspectives if they want to, or 2) to take back what they've said in the past.

The way I see it there ought to be a balance between people's freedom of speech (including the ability to edit / delete old speech) and the value that restricting such abilities might provide to others or the forum.

I'm unaware of any value that might come from restricting members' ability to edit or delete their own DZ posts. If there is any value in having this restriction I'd like to learn about it.

flman

What consequences do you have in mind?

With the usual topics of the DZ (politics, religion, sex, personal attacks, innuendos, banter, ...) I'd be in favor of everyone having a chance to 1) change their own perspectives if they want to, or 2) to take back what they've said in the past.

The way I see it there ought to be a balance between people's freedom of speech (including the ability to edit / delete old speech) and the value that restricting such abilities might provide to others or the forum.

I'm unaware of any value that might come from restricting members' ability to edit or delete their own DZ posts. If there is any value in having this restriction I'd like to learn about it.
If you want to change your position, why be sneaky about it? You can be redeemed despite your history.

Or do you want to waffle and flip flop?

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
The conseqences of what you say.... again ...
YOUR NOTHING BUT A KEYBOARD WARRIOR
Be responsible for your actions and posts....
you wont have any problems
Please keep personal attacks and insults for the DZ.

My question is "what consequences" as in what should happen to someone who expresses unpopular or as flman said "dumb" ideas in the DZ?

For example, should such a person risk persecution or be threatened with violence? I sure hope not.

flman

Please keep personal attacks and insults for the DZ.

My question is "what consequences" as in what should happen to someone who expresses unpopular or as flman said "dumb" ideas in the DZ?

For example, should such a person risk persecution or be threatened with violence? I sure hope not.
If you put your foot in your mouth who's fault is it? 1000s have posted in the dz, but no one has ever made such a request. I wish you luck. :whistle:

Some reasons I prefer the 24 hour limit.

It has worked for this forum for many years now. It may not be best for other forums, but it works here. We have had problems previously with members abusing edit privilege. Presently if a post really needs to be changed/edited the specific request can be made via PM. (To be clear. Don't ask me to edit any DZ posts. You are on your own in the DZ.)

Random edits can affect the flow/continuity of a discussion. It could be engineered to make a reply look foolish. More importantly a member could go back and edit old posts to include completely unacceptable information. Old posts live in the shadows. Bad things can happen in the shadow world. At least new posts see the light of day to be viewed by members. Unacceptable changes made in 24 hours are likely to be noticed by someone. Changes made to old threads/posts may get no review, but are hanging there to be exploited.

What is "unacceptable". Why would someone do something like that? :idunno: I have no desire to see the edit policy changed to find out.

:2cents: vic

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Something I found out recently about this new forum software. It works similarly to a wiki where it tracks the history of each post. Moderators have the option to revive previous editions of post(s).

As a side, why not reference your old post, state the premise that was incorrect, and call it a day. I have more respect for those that come out and say they're wrong rather than hide the fact (by changing >24hr posts). Not that I really care how others act, I just make sure I don't act like that.

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
Some reasons I prefer the 24 hour limit.

It has worked for this forum for many years now. It may not be best for other forums, but it works here. We have had problems previously with members abusing edit privilege. Presently if a post really needs to be changed/edited the specific request can be made via PM. (To be clear. Don't ask me to edit any DZ posts. You are on your own in the DZ.)
Would you be open to a one time wholesale deletion of my posts in the DZ (or everywhere)? If you can delete my old posts, I'm happy not to post in the DZ ever again thereby accomplishing the same outcome for me.

I'm hopeful that if we can see eye to eye that members can decide what's best for themselves and their posts without pestering admins/moderators. That's why it didn't even occur to me that I could PM you.

Random edits can affect the flow/continuity of a discussion. It could be engineered to make a reply look foolish. More importantly a member could go back and edit old posts to include completely unacceptable information. Old posts live in the shadows. Bad things can happen in the shadow world. At least new posts see the light of day to be viewed by members. Unacceptable changes made in 24 hours are likely to be noticed by someone. Changes made to old threads/posts may get no review, but are hanging there to be exploited.

What is "unacceptable". Why would someone do something like that? :idunno: I have no desire to see the edit policy changed to find out.

:2cents: vic
Continuity and flow are established by the Quote feature. Right?

And when content is quoted into a reply, it would be a part of the reply and not affected by the initial poster's edits or deletions.

Furthermore, old posts in the DZ shadows are not indexed by search engines but are indeed searchable by the forum's search feature. So while they are not immediately visible, they're easy to dig up for someone who is interested in finding a particular member's past political / social / religious / etc views.

Lastly, regarding Edits (well intentioned or ill intended), there is (or there was) an Edit History on all posts. Is there not?

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
Something I found out recently about this new forum software. It works similarly to a wiki where it tracks the history of each post. Moderators have the option to revive previous editions of post(s).

As a side, why not reference your old post, state the premise that was incorrect, and call it a day. I have more respect for those that come out and say they're wrong rather than hide the fact (by changing >24hr posts). Not that I really care how others act, I just make sure I don't act like that.
That makes sense for the situation in which someone changes their benign perspective. It does not make sense for someone who is concerned about persecution, privacy or leaving breadcrumbs on the internet.

Would you be open to a one time wholesale deletion of my posts in the DZ (or everywhere)? If you can delete my old posts, I'm happy not to post in the DZ ever again thereby accomplishing the same outcome for me.

I'm hopeful that if we can see eye to eye that members can decide what's best for themselves and their posts without pestering admins/moderators. That's why it didn't even occur to me that I could PM you.

Continuity and flow are established by the Quote feature. Right?

And when content is quoted into a reply, it would be a part of the reply and not affected by the initial poster's edits or deletions.

Furthermore, old posts in the DZ shadows are not indexed by search engines but are indeed searchable by the forum's search feature. So while they are not immediately visible, they're easy to dig up for someone who is interested in finding a particular member's past political / social / religious / etc views.

Lastly, regarding Edits (well intentioned or ill intended), there is (or there was) an Edit History on all posts. Is there not?
I've stated my basic position.

I'm not the one to convince about this.

:cheers: vic

K-9 SPRINTER

Sorry.. but dont cry about a personal attack
BUT YOUR NO DIFFERENT THEN ANYBODY ELSE!!!!
if they made an exception for you ... they would be OBLIGATED to do it for EVERYONE!!!

Meanwhile... you could just stop posting , like you say you would :whistle:

D

Deleted member 50714

Sorry.. but dont cry about a personal attack
BUT YOUR NO DIFFERENT THEN ANYBODY ELSE!!!!
if they made an exception for you ... they would be OBLIGATED to do it for EVERYONE!!!
Now he wants all his posts deleted. That's real suspicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom